Why haven’t the Flyers blown it up yet?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think Hextall was actually doing a really good job of rebuilding on the fly. Added a bunch of extra 1st/2nd round picks while still making the playoffs semi-regularly.

Most teams in that situation don't add picks, or worse trade them away without actually getting any better. Fully blowing it up is quite rare.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I think Hextall was actually doing a really good job of rebuilding on the fly. Added a bunch of extra 1st/2nd round picks while still making the playoffs semi-regularly.

Most teams in that situation don't add picks, or worse trade them away without actually getting any better. Fully blowing it up is quite rare.

I'm not going to comment on the behind the scenes stuff that was what seems to have actually led to Hextall's firing, as we've only heard from one side on that, but aside from a few glaring mistakes Hextall did well to fix the cap situations and rebuild the farm system. But those mistakes were glaring, from not going out and getting a half-decent tender to stubbornly sticking with a bad coach for way too long. Frankly, with a different coach all season, the Flyers would be in playoff position.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Well see who's to say you will automatically stay bad if you do a rebuild? And you're making a strawman. Who said anything about those names that you pulled up? Why didn't you bring up Kopitar or Toews? It's not about individual players, it's about the direction of the team. What is the team trying to do?
Staying mediocre for years and relying on hope has a shelf life. Yes it's better to make the playoffs consistently, but again, that has a shelf life if you don't win a cup. And let's make this distinction, we're not talking about a great regular season team here, who gets past the first round consistently. Then it would be stupid to think about a rebuild.
And I'm not saying Philly should rebuild now, but, if they get to a point where there is a chance to clean house a bit, and start a rebuild, they should give it great consideration. And not try to avoid it at all costs.
How long do you go before you say, maybe I should try something different? Especially when you look and see different teams around you go on and when cups in that time span, and they didn't choose your way of team building?
And OT: Matthews doesn't belong with those other three. Even if McDavid hasn't won a cup, I think it's about individual talent here, and Matthews doesn't belong with those other three.

If Philly was to blow it up, theyd be just as bad as any other team that blows it up. You dont trade Voracek, Couts, Ghost, Sanheim, or Giroux and expect to be good. Being bad goes hand in hand with "blowing it up".

Kopitar wasnt even a top ten draft pick. Erik Karlsson, Brent Burns, Byfuglien. Theres literally tons of guys that are foundational pieces on every team in the league that werent picked anywhere near the top ten. They traded for Carter and Richards, who werent top ten picks either. Neither was Quick or Brown. Even Doughty wasnt top 5. You dont need to be the worst in the league to build a solid, well rounded team. People want to act like Pittsburgh winning with Crosby and Malkin, or Chicago with Toews and Kane means that the only way to do a rebuild is to tank and get first overall. Its f***ing asinine.

Shit look at Nashville and San Jose. Theyve been competetive for like a decade and have a huge amount of talent. Should they sell everything off so they can bomb for a top 5 pick to rebuild? Their cores havent gotten it done, ever. Outside of one finals appearance each theyd both fall into your category of mediocrity that cant win. But i bet you wont find a single fan or member of management that thinks blowing it up during the last ten years would have been better than being in the post season every single year.

Last edited:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
They have a great young team with plenty of depth. Whenever Hart establishes himself they will be contenders for a long time. Sure Giroux is getting a bit old but they have a ton of solid prospects. I wouldn't blow it up.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
I wouldn't say they have a great young team. Giroux and Provorov are elite. Ghost is excellent to elite. Konecny and Couturier are very good to excellent. Simmond's looks done due to injuries. Voracek is missing a toolbox and is neither young nor great. Poor Nolan Patrick looks more like a second round draft pick that the 2 OA pick. Haag is the second coming of Andrew MacDonald. And I am not impressed with Sanheim to be honest. So I am not sure what's so great about the Flyers.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
If Philly was to blow it up, theyd be just as bad as any other team that blows it up. You dont trade Voracek, Couts, Ghost, Sanheim, or Giroux and expect to be good. Being bad goes hand in hand with "blowing it up".

Kopitar wasnt even a top ten draft pick. Erik Karlsson, Brent Burns, Byfuglien. Theres literally tons of guys that are foundational pieces on every team in the league that werent picked anywhere near the top ten. They traded for Carter and Richards, who werent top ten picks either. Neither was Quick or Brown. Even Doughty wasnt top 5. You dont need to be the worst in the league to build a solid, well rounded team. People want to act like Pittsburgh winning with Crosby and Malkin, or Chicago with Toews and Kane means that the only way to do a rebuild is to tank and get first overall. Its ****ing asinine.

**** look at Nashville and San Jose. Theyve been competetive for like a decade and have a huge amount of talent. Should they sell everything off so they can bomb for a top 5 pick to rebuild? Their cores havent gotten it done, ever. Outside of one finals appearance each theyd both fall into your category of mediocrity that cant win. But i bet you wont find a single fan or member of management that thinks blowing it up during the last ten years would have been better than being in the post season every single year.
You must have just misunderstand what I'm saying. I didn't say blow it up. If they get to the point where that might be an option, they should take a hard look at it. It seems that they have the philosophy of staying away from a rebuild under any circumstances. Any time you eliminate an option, you're just shrinking your percentage of a chance to win. And why do you keep saying things like this "People want to act like Pittsburgh winning with Crosby and Malkin, or Chicago with Toews and Kane means that the only way to do a rebuild is to tank and get first overall. Its ****ing asinine." When you know that's not what people want. Some people maybe, but I'm sure you can guess that's not what the vast majority of people who feel their team needs a rebuild think.
And nobody wants a team that's a pretty good to go and tear it down. Like I said, that would be stupid. So bringing up Nashville and San Jose? :dunno:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You must have just misunderstand what I'm saying. I didn't say blow it up. If they get to the point where that might be an option, they should take a hard look at it. It seems that they have the philosophy of staying away from a rebuild under any circumstances. Any time you eliminate an option, you're just shrinking your percentage of a chance to win. And why do you keep saying things like this "People want to act like Pittsburgh winning with Crosby and Malkin, or Chicago with Toews and Kane means that the only way to do a rebuild is to tank and get first overall. Its ****ing asinine." When you know that's not what people want. Some people maybe, but I'm sure you can guess that's not what the vast majority of people who feel their team needs a rebuild think.
And nobody wants a team that's a pretty good to go and tear it down. Like I said, that would be stupid. So bringing up Nashville and San Jose? :dunno:
Honestly I feel there's a large and vocal group here that feel a successful rebuild, tanking, and top draft picks all go hand in hand. It's everywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad