Why exactly do you think Malkin is an underrated as he is?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ovechkins probably the best goal scorer of all time. Some of you guys are nuts

What...?

An often injured Mario put up more in less games played alone. Mario has dwarfed Ovechkin's numbers multiply times.

Mario is arguably the best player to ever play the game backed on his own pure skill and hockey sense. At 35 Mario was still able to put up 91 points in 67 games, a 1.35 PPG. Had he played a full 82 that would be 35 goals, 112 points. Now take into consideration that Mario left the game at a peak moment in his career, it is profoundly certain he puts up another 100 to 150 more goals in three more seasons he left on the table. That's 790 to 840 possible goals not even considering all the time lost even before that in his top peak era.

Ovechkin could only hope to put up those numbers. He's only close because of health and consistency. A healthy Mario is eclipsing Gretzky records.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
No he is not. Not even close to Gretzky or Lemieux who BOTH did SO MUCH MORE than shoot it 10 times a game. There is context to raw numbers, you know.

I mean, even the raw numbers don't bear out for AO, unless we're weighting really heavily for era (which is its own minefield). But even then, we're talking about guys who sent some insane records, like scoring 5 times/5 ways in a game (Lemieux), or who only put up one season of sub 50 goals (Bossy), or the first to ever get 50 goals in 50 games (Richard).

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I was assuming they didn't play much together in 2007-08 for some reason, my bad. But I checked the numbers and it seems that difference between Ovechkin playing with Backstrom and without Backstrom on ES would be just 4 points per season so my point stands.

I mean, that 2005-2006 Caps team was pretty putrid outside of Ovechkin, so your point there is noted. (I mean, Zubrus was his center then.) But both Ovechkin and Crosby benefited heavily then from being the best player on a bad team.

I feel like people are thinking I'm underrating Ovechkin to a large degree, but what I'm really arguing here is that he's probably the best sniper of his generation, but he doesn't drive offense necessarily as well as Malkin and Crosby, which is part of what makes the Capitals perennial underachivers. I mean, the last two years, (which were easily among the best teams the Caps have iced) saw Ovechkin score 50+ goals, but he had only 21 and 38 assists. He just doesn't have the vision to compete with some of the all-time greats there.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean, that 2005-2006 Caps team was pretty putrid outside of Ovechkin, so your point there is noted. (I mean, Zubrus was his center then.) But both Ovechkin and Crosby benefited heavily then from being the best player on a bad team.

I feel like people are thinking I'm underrating Ovechkin to a large degree, but what I'm really arguing here is that he's probably the best sniper of his generation, but he doesn't drive offense necessarily as well as Malkin and Crosby, which is part of what makes the Capitals perennial underachivers. I mean, the last two years, (which were easily among the best teams the Caps have iced) saw Ovechkin score 50+ goals, but he had only 21 and 38 assists. He just doesn't have the vision to compete with some of the all-time greats there.

Right, because the puck isn't going through him but to him on the grander theme of the position he plays. Even considering for much of his career he has been evenly split between the two mostly, I'm weighing the PP factor as the main culprit for that.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014

Oh, I am not arguing that (though you are mismatching AO 50 goal seasons, that was 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons but not 2016-17). I was contesting the point that he was like that all the time. AO was one man wrecking machine until 2010. AO post 2010 is a just a shell of that (basically only goal scoring remained).

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oh, and to the point that has been made, I agree Geno is shadowed by Crosby and the Russian factor. It also didn't help he was injured a lot.

Geno is the best Russian to ever play this game (HM: to Fedorov) to not even be voted in the top one hundred is a crime.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Right, because the puck isn't going through him but to him on the grander theme of the position he plays. Even considering for much of his career he has been evenly split between the two mostly, I'm weighing the PP factor as the main culprit for that.

Exactly, which again is why one of the keys to defeating the Caps until they got more depth was simply just to shadow Ovechkin or disrupt his shooting lanes. He might still score a goal or two, but you know generally where the play is going and how to break it up. Which was also one of the ways to defend against Bret Hull, incidentally.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Oh, I am not arguing that (though you are mismatching AO 50 goal seasons, that was 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons but not 2016-17). I was contesting the point that he was like that all the time. AO was one man wrecking machine until 2010. AO post 2010 is a just a shell of that (basically only goal scoring remained).

Haha, sorry, I stand corrected on that. Phone posting makes it hard to read a stat line properly.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Exactly, which again is why one of the keys to defeating the Caps until they got more depth was simply just to shadow Ovechkin or disrupt his shooting lanes. He might still score a goal or two, but you know generally where the play is going and how to break it up. Which was also one of the ways to defend against Bret Hull, incidentally.

Maybe we can give him the cross breed of Bure/Hull because Hull couldn't skate as well, and he relied on burying his head on a lot of slap shots on the rush.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Again, I'd love to see what Malkin could have done during the era of firewagon hockey. Sure, he'd be competing with Greztky or Lemeiux, but tell me you wouldn't pay to see Malkin against the terrible defenses and goaltending of the era? :laugh:

Ovechkin, on the other hand, I think would look pretty much the same-- he'd be an elite sniper like Hull, certainly-- but he's never had the playmaking prowess or the vision to effect the game quite like Malkin. And unlike Jagr or other more creative RWs, AO's always needed a good center to be truly effective.

Yeah, that's the other consideration -- the era. I'm sure I'll get a flak for this (though Cole will back me up) but forget top 100 of all time -- Malkin should probably be top 25 all time. The fact that he's consistently put the numbers up in today's league that he has and maintained a 1+ PPG his whole career while playing in this version of the league is pretty incredible. I don't know if people fully grasp the idea that back then a player like current-Kessel would be a 100+ point scorer every season. Current-Crosby and current-Malkin would be eviscerating that version of the league every single year.

I'm not saying that players "sucked" back then -- far from it. Things were just a hell of a lot different. The goaltending position was VASTLY underdeveloped compared to today. There were keepers from then that could have transitioned to today's league. But not many. The entire game was less rigid and less coached. Teams are automatons now. Everything is so tight... parity among teams is a thing. Every advantage counts. Shot blocking back then was kinda something to SEE, ya know? These days with equipment advancements and expectations from coaching... EVERYONE attempts to block every shot. Players don't take as many chances, defensemen are bigger/stronger/faster (as is everyone) and systems are beat into players heads going all the way back to juniors. And though you don't see QUITE as many players getting ridden like a mule through the neutral zone... I would argue interference all over the ice is a bigger problem today than back then.

What I'm getting around to is a player like Malkin would indeed be something to watch back then. And I really, really feel like the fact that he can take over games single-handedly these days, even just occasionally, is rather absurd. Nobody does that. Not like he does. So yeah... I'd call him a top 25 all timer. If things had turned out a bit different for him injury-wise, I don't think people would even bat their eyes at that assertion.

As far as Ovechkin? I dunno. I think his numbers would certainly get a bump back then. His shot is too zany and goaltenders had a tough time covering the top of the net, in the day. But as far as IMPACT goes? I agree he'd be about the same as now. The difference between he and Malkin is in impact. Malkin does so much more all over the ice and plays a much more important position. He makes more players around him better. He actually helps facilitate his team's offensive flow and goes a long way toward cleaning up his team's own end, too. When a big, rangy guy like Malkin is playing the kind of defense he can along with his sublime offensive ability... well... isn't it pretty obvious who the more impactful player is?

And I actually have a healthy amount of respect and even admiration for Ovechkin. Except when he's doing things like taking Gonchar out at the knees or helping Niskanen brain Crosby.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, that's the other consideration -- the era. I'm sure I'll get a flak for this (though Cole will back me up) but forget top 100 of all time -- Malkin should probably be top 25 all time. The fact that he's consistently put the numbers up in today's league that he has and maintained a 1+ PPG his whole career while playing in this version of the league is pretty incredible. I don't know if people fully grasp the idea that back then a player like current-Kessel would be a 100+ point scorer every season. Current-Crosby and current-Malkin would be eviscerating that version of the league every single year.

I'm not saying that players "sucked" back then -- far from it. Things were just a hell of a lot different. The goaltending position was VASTLY underdeveloped compared to today. There were keepers from then that could have transitioned to today's league. But not many. The entire game was less rigid and less coached. Teams are automatons now. Everything is so tight... parity among teams is a thing. Every advantage counts. Shot blocking back then was kinda something to SEE, ya know? These days with equipment advancements and expectations from coaching... EVERYONE attempts to block every shot. Players don't take as many chances, defensemen are bigger/stronger/faster (as is everyone) and systems are beat into players heads going all the way back to juniors. And though you don't see QUITE as many players getting ridden like a mule through the neutral zone... I would argue interference all over the ice is a bigger problem today than back then.

What I'm getting around to is a player like Malkin would indeed be something to watch back then. And I really, really feel like the fact that he can take over games single-handedly these days, even just occasionally, is rather absurd. Nobody does that. Not like he does. So yeah... I'd call him a top 25 all timer. If things had turned out a bit different for him injury-wise, I don't think people would even bat their eyes at that assertion.

As far as Ovechkin? I dunno. I think his numbers would certainly get a bump back then. His shot is too zany and goaltenders had a tough time covering the top of the net, in the day. But as far as IMPACT goes? I agree he'd be about the same as now. The difference between he and Malkin is in impact. Malkin does so much more all over the ice and plays a much more important position. He makes more players around him better. He actually helps facilitate his team's offensive flow and goes a long way toward cleaning up his team's own end, too. When a big, rangy guy like Malkin is playing the kind of defense he can along with his sublime offensive ability... well... isn't it pretty obvious who the more impactful player is?

And I actually have a healthy amount of respect and even admiration for Ovechkin. Except when he's doing things like taking Gonchar out at the knees or helping Niskanen brain Crosby.

He’s 14th ALL TIME and second active player behind Sid in points per game. That says it all...top 25 absolutely...and he’s doing it in the dead puck era averaging 2 goals less per game

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I agree. I just feel like I had to make my case a little bit considering he didn't even make the top 100. But obviously I'm not on the main boards, here...

And on a side note... I have no words for that Don Cherry/"techno" mashup posted above. The early 90s really were a very strange/dark era.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014

I fully agree. And it always irks me when I see people counting top 5 and top 10 finishes indiscriminately for players of different eras. It's one thing to end up top 5 in a 6 team league of 50s and 60s (with roughly 60 regular forwards almost exclusively from Canada), another thing in 20 team league in 80s (with roughly 200 regular forwards mostly from Canada and some US and scandinavian players) and it's completely different thing to end up top 5 in a 30 team league now (with roughly 300-400 regular forwards from all over the world).

He’s 14th ALL TIME and second active player behind Sid in points per game. That says it all...top 25 absolutely...and he’s doing it in the dead puck era averaging 2 goals less per game

Better comparison would be how he would look when comparing careers up to 31 year. Malkin ranks 29th there https://www.hockey-reference.com/pl...1val=50&threshhold=5&order_by=points_per_game

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I fully agree. And it always irks me when I see people counting top 5 and top 10 finishes indiscriminately for players of different eras. It's one thing to end up top 5 in a 6 team league of 50s and 60s (with roughly 60 regular forwards almost exclusively from Canada), another thing in 20 team league in 80s (with roughly 200 regular forwards mostly from Canada and some US and scandinavian players) and it's completely different thing to end up top 5 in a 30 team league now (with roughly 300-400 regular forwards from all over the world).

Preach, brother. Which is also one of the many reasons why it makes comparing hockey across eras so tough.

You know what chaps my ass with the HHOF especially though? That they give weight to All-Star selections. :laugh:

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
You guys are seriously in your own world of denial if you don't appreciate Ovechkin's greatness. Seriously, the guy could potentially hit 800 goals. That is ridiculous. If he does that he will be the best goal scorer of all time. If you think otherwise that's simply your pens binders on.

The caps havent won the cup because of defense and secondary scoring, not ovechkin.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You guys are seriously in your own world of denial if you don't appreciate Ovechkin's greatness. Seriously, the guy could potentially hit 800 goals. That is ridiculous. If he does that he will be the best goal scorer of all time. If you think otherwise that's simply your pens binders on.

The caps havent won the cup because of defense and secondary scoring, not ovechkin.

Okay, but Gretzky has 898 and Howe has 801, ya dingus. :laugh: [Insert Dr. Steve Brule .gif here]

Plus including this season, Ovechkin's only at 598. So, dude's gotta have a bunch of 60 goal seasons left in him to get anywhere close to Gretzky.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

He’s one of the best scorers ever now....
Doesn’t make him the best PLAYER

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Okay, but Gretzky has 898 and Howe has 801, ya dingus. :laugh: [Insert Dr. Steve Brule .gif here]

Plus including this season, Ovechkin's only at 598. So, dude's gotta have a bunch of 60 goal seasons left in him to get anywhere close to Gretzky.
Howe is the most comparable. Gretzky scored in an era with over 2 more goals scored a game. Plus the goalie position sans 1996 is COMPLETELY different.

If Ovechkin makes it to 800 he is the best ever.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He’s one of the best scorers ever now....
Doesn’t make him the best PLAYER

I feel like the definition of best goalscorer is shifting really rapidly with Richard's post. Are we talking about, literally, the guy who scores the most goals? Because there's no way Ovechkin's going to get close to Jags and Hull, let alone Gretzky and Howe.

I mean, even IF Richard's talking about Goals/GP, Ovechkin's still not overtaking the current leaders, without some pretty iffy stat weighting going on.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Howe is the most comparable. Gretzky scored in an era with over 2 more goals scored a game. Plus the goalie position sans 1996 is COMPLETELY different.

If Ovechkin makes it to 800 he is the best ever.

But you just said Ovechkin was the best ever. Now you're qualifying it with IF Ovechkin gets to 800? Okay, sure.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
By this logic, if Crosby wins another Conn Smythe and the Pens three-peat, they are officially better than the 1980s Islanders and Crosby is up there with Gretzky.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He is. respectively. Ovechkin at 32 is better than anyone else at 32.

Now or historically? Because even after coming back from injury/retirement in the middle of the lowest offensive/tightest defensive era, a 35-year old Lemieux still outpaced a 32-year old Ovechkin in goals.

I mean, since we're all into weighting eras and stuff, does that mean Lemieux's 35 goals in 43 games are like 50 goals?

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Now or historically? Because even after coming back from injury/retirement in the middle of the lowest offensive/tightest defensive era, a 35-year old Lemieux still outpaced a 32-year old Ovechkin in goals.

I mean, since we're all into weighting eras and stuff, does that mean Lemieux's 35 goals in 43 games are like 50 goals?
Mario also had Jaromir Jagr on his wing....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad