Why exactly do you think Malkin is an underrated as he is?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Is it cause he is Russian?
Is it cause he is on a team with golden boy Crosby
Is it cause of his injuries ( which all really stemmed from the abuse refs let him take)
Is it cause he plays for the hated Pens?

Honestly the guy gets no respect and its pretty stupid as far as I am concerned...

Reactions: BladeRunner66

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
He's been overshadowed by the best player in the NHL throughout his career. I think that's all it really comes down to.

The Russian part isn't it because Ovy gets tons of respect. The injuries part isn't it because other injury prone players get the respect that they deserve. The playing for the Pens part isn't it because a lot of Pens fans underrate the guy as well. It's Crosby.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think part of it is that the league is weird with some players. Toews is a god, Doan wasn’t a dirty POS, Kessel is the worst and Malkin is just kind of forgotten.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The thing I don't buy about the Crosby overshadowed thing is the league has a history of embracing the second fiddles ... i mean Messier was a legend... jagr got his props... the Detroit players were propped up en mass... no one overshadowed them...

Reactions: Crafton and KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
In terms of true hockey minds, I severely doubt he is.

He is an easy player for dumb talking heads to shit on and ignore the impact.

True minds will prevail and he will likely have a ton of historical credit in twenty years. Him, Crosby, Ovechkin and maybe Kane will be remembered as the definitive players at the forward position is the era with players like Bergeron and Kopitar getting overblown love.

Even his international play is pretty remarkable for how bad Russia has been.

MadK

Mar 7, 2018
He's a third wheel in the narrative that the NHL has been selling for ten years Sid vs. Ovi. A three-way rivalry doesn't work, especially when two players are on the same team.

Combine that with everything else - being second fiddle to Sid and Ovi, not having the greatest English skills, never being the "Face" of a league or team, not being Canadian, and his history of injury - lots of factors that lead to him being overlooked.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Agree that a lot of it is NHL generated re what sells...and yet, Geno has more spectacular, highlight reel goals than either Sid or Ovie. I mean there's so many plays you can just marvel at his amazing skill...and he's just so funny too. It's a shame...

That's why I really hope he sweeps the AR, Rocket and Hart and gives a big F U to the NHL...

Reactions: MadK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Because he can't speak English and he's from mother Russia.
Crosby speaks English and plays the role (is North American).
Nobody knows what Malkin is really trying to say... we think he's cute but how can you promote that ... honestly... you can't.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He's the 2nd best player of his era. If he were on any other team...he'd be praised non stop.

But I think he likes living in the shadow of Crosby.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
For a good portion of his time in the league I myself thought Geno was the best player in the world. He went back and forth with Sid for a while, now it's he, Kuch and MCdazzle and a closely following Mackinnon.

Three time first team all star, two Art Ross, One Hart and once he runnered up. ConnSmythe and Calder, yeah He's pretty damn good throughout his career. Too bad injuries have plagued him quite a bit.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think Crosby "overshadowing" him his entire time in the league certainly has to be the biggest reason. I would argue that him only playing 70+ games 4 times total in his whole career would have to be a close second. I also truly think there is league bias involved. As so many have pointed out so many times... if he were Evan Malgrin from Thunder Bay, I can't help but think he would at least be included on silly little lists and such.

He is, without a doubt in my mind, the most underappreciated superstar and generational talent I've personally watched play the game.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
In the way that Geno is underrated it's mostly to do with Crosby. The Pens are "Crosby's team". In much the same way that Messier stepped out from beneath the shadow of Gretzky when he went on to captain The Rangers, Geno needs to be the face of a franchise to get his due respect. Ain't gonna happen while he and Sid are in Pittsburgh.

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
Being on the same team with Sid mostly. Although, I do hope he gets a major award (or 2 or 3 :naughty:) this year. Geno Best)))

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->