Why exactly do you think Malkin is an underrated as he is?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
He's thought about leaving when was about to be a free agent to have his own team, he's mentioned that much for sure in an interview not so long ago. But he knew that if he left, he would never have the success with winning like he has by staying. So on one hand it's "this is Geno's team, look at that superstar!" or "Look at one of the greatest 1-2 punch C's in the league winning their 3rd cup together and going for a 4th!"

@4:17 from nov last year

Not sure I trust the body language/eye contact/confidence in tone seems different than rest of interview...overall I feel Geno is loyal to a fault...

Reactions: Trade

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
It's definitely being on a team that already had a league face in place. I really wonder if Malkin had gone to Toronto or Montreal in particular just how different things would be.

I personally believe that when Geno is on fire, and he does it ever year for a prolonged period, it's not a flash in the pan, that he IS the best player in the game.

I hope he never loses he electricity when he scores big goals. Never loses his passion. Never loses his response to big games and big moments. He is so authentically a great representation of the best parts of hockey. Blending skill, finesse, dangles, grit, and edge into a very unique blend.

Side note, and I'm not from Pittsburgh, but despite the bad Yinzer wrap, it's a great sports town. And an appreciative sports town for it's players. Seems like it must matter to such a down to earth guy like Malkin.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I've never really understood the bad yinzer rap (and I have a pretty complicated relationship with my hometown and Western PA in general). For the amount of success Pittsburgh's had as a small market town, it's a wonder that people aren't more insufferable. :laugh:

It's one of the many charms of Pittsburgh that I keep telling people about-- it's a diverse, proud, formerly tough town that still feels like a weird cross between a very small town and a thriving metropolis. It's also a place where you can have a beer with a Pens player at the bar (hi Robert Lang!) and people aren't obnoxious about it.

From the Slavic perspective, honestly, the vibe of the city reminds me a lot of places here like Ostrava, Lviv (minus the ethnic tensions), Krakow, and Brno. I dunno, but everything I've read from Geno in Russian pretty much states that he loves Pittsburgh because it reminds him of home in good ways.

(And historically Magnitogorsk was actually modeled after Pittsburgh by Soviet city planners in the 1920s, so that's not very surprising.)

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Cool perspective. Thanks.

And yeah I'm sure for moat players the priority is
1) money
2) winning
3) lifestyle/city

#3 isn't going to win out over the others in many cases. But regarding Malkin not getting respect, it's because he's here with Crosby. And in that regard I do think that if he didn't like his life and support here, it would be easier to see green grass beyond the fence.

So while off topic, and hard to confirm with proof, it's a very cool dynamic in sports that the fans can have an impact on the success of a franchise in some cases. If there's even a thread of truth, it's something the city and people should be proud of.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It's definitely being on a team that already had a league face in place. I really wonder if Malkin had gone to Toronto or Montreal in particular just how different things would be.

I personally believe that when Geno is on fire, and he does it ever year for a prolonged period, it's not a flash in the pan, that he IS the best player in the game.

I hope he never loses he electricity when he scores big goals. Never loses his passion. Never loses his response to big games and big moments. He is so authentically a great representation of the best parts of hockey. Blending skill, finesse, dangles, grit, and edge into a very unique blend.

Side note, and I'm not from Pittsburgh, but despite the bad Yinzer wrap, it's a great sports town. And an appreciative sports town for it's players. Seems like it must matter to such a down to earth guy like Malkin.

Spoiler alert: Malkin was a Penguin before Crosby

...But the lockout year and more importantly the fact he was forced by Russian court to finish out his contract in Magnitogorsk meant he didn't play until two years after draft and one year after Sid...

Even if he played a year before...Sids hype would have eclipsed him like it did to everyone.

Reactions: madinsomniac

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Is it cause he is Russian?
Is it cause he is on a team with golden boy Crosby
Is it cause of his injuries ( which all really stemmed from the abuse refs let him take)
Is it cause he plays for the hated Pens?

Honestly the guy gets no respect and its pretty stupid as far as I am concerned...
Pretty much but try to be positive:

Question about Malkin Monster

Malkin is:

a) Beast
b) Demon Beast
c) God driven Beast
d) Can drive two 18 wheelers... simultaneously.
e) You butter your toasts in the morning but mishandle the plate, the toasts fall:
e1) both on their buttered sides facing downwards
e2) one of each side because you've always been a rather undecisive person
e3) Malkin saves both of them before they hit the ground

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Pretty much but try to be positive:

Question about Malkin Monster

Malkin is:

a) Beast
b) Demon Beast
c) God driven Beast
d) Can drive two 18 wheelers... simultaneously.
e) You butter your toasts in the morning but mishandle the plate, the toasts fall:
e1) both on their buttered sides facing downwards
e2) one of each side because you've always been a rather undecisive person
e3) Malkin saves both of them before they hit the ground
I think I've seem him accomplish all of these in a game. and on more than one night. :)

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Lol, why is this even a thing? Everyone knows he’s one of the best Centers in the league and is only second best player in the league to his teamate over the past ten years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->