Why does everybody hate the Leafs?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It should be noted that just because someone talks about the Leafs does not inherently mean they are pandering to Leafs fans. There's been a lot of garbage in the media over the past 10 years when things were not going well - Just because it was Leaf-related doesn't mean it was put out there to make us feel warm and fuzzy inside about our team.

Fair enough I'll give you that, but my point still stands that I don't want to watch 5 minutes of leafs(or any other team for that matter) coverage just to get 10 seconds mention of the game I want to hear about

How is it pandering? Explain that? You just agreed with me and then went back to the pandering argument. You are like Trump at a news conference.

I agreed yes the Leafs make the stations money but that being said I don't have to enjoy it and I do have the right to find it annoying. You act as if both points are somehow mutually exclusive which they aren't

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Fair enough I'll give you that, but my point still stands that I don't want to watch 5 minutes of leafs(or any other team for that matter) coverage just to get 10 seconds mention of the game I want to hear about
Doesn't any fan living in a major sports city (or Province/State, as the case may be) other than that of their preferred team deal with this kind of thing to an extent, though?

HNIC, for example, has regional broadcasts so that Canadiens fans in Quebec, or Oilers/Flames fans in Alberta, etc., don't have to watch the Leafs on Saturday nights.

I can't imagine living in New York and complaining that the Yankees are taking up all of my sweet, sweet Leafs air-time.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Doesn't any fan living in a major sports city (or Province/State, as the case may be) other than that of their preferred team deal with this kind of thing to an extent, though?

HNIC, for example, has regional broadcasts so that Canadiens fans in Quebec, or Oilers/Flames fans in Alberta, etc., don't have to watch the Leafs on Saturday nights.

I can't imagine living in New York and complaining that the Yankees are taking up all of my sweet, sweet Leafs air-time.

I live in Thunder Bay Ontario, Why the hell am I part of the "Leafs Region". We live closer to Winnipeg, Minneapolis, Chicago and Detroit. Beyond that St Louis is roughly 5 KM farther away then Toronto. Also you make a bad example of living in NY, Toronto is not Canada. If the airwaves for local coverage in Toronto was Leafs 24/7 more power to them.

All that being said I once again go back to Toronto centric stuff I can't avoid unless I don't watch it like Sports Centre or NHL shows on Canadian Networks(or say stuff like an intermission at the world juniors of all the leaf prospects playing for Canada, as if the Leaf Prospects are more important then other teams). I always get Gamecentre to avoid watching actual Canadian broadcasts of hockey games.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I live in Thunder Bay Ontario, Why the hell am I part of the "Leafs Region". We live closer to Winnipeg, Minneapolis, Chicago and Detroit. Beyond that St Louis is roughly 5 KM farther away then Toronto. Also you make a bad example of living in NY, Toronto is not Canada. If the airwaves for local coverage in Toronto was Leafs 24/7 more power to them.

All that being said I once again go back to Toronto centric stuff I can't avoid unless I don't watch it like Sports Centre or NHL shows on Canadian Networks(or say stuff like an intermission at the world juniors of all the leaf prospects playing for Canada, as if the Leaf Prospects are more important then other teams). I always get Gamecentre to avoid watching actual Canadian broadcasts of hockey games.
I mean, you're still talking about Ontario, here...

I'm not sure how New York was a bad example when the fact that regional broadcasts exist is a thing that has already been discussed - New York and the surrounding areas will be dominated by coverage of New York-based teams, as they should be; I expect Quebec to be dominated by Montreal Canadiens coverage, just like I expect Alberta to be dominated by Oilers/Flames coverage, and Ontario to be dominated by Leafs coverage. Hell, there are like 5 different Sportsnet and TSN channels these days that show different events and coverage on every single one, dependent on region and other broadcasts.

If every time a Canucks fan turns on Sportsnet West they have to sit through 10 minutes of Leafs coverage just to get to the stuff they care about, then that I can definitely understand. But I have no sympathies at all for anyone complaining that sports coverage in Ontario is dominated by the Leafs.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I have no sympathies at all for anyone complaining that sports coverage in Ontario is dominated by the Leafs.

You do realize Ontario is a big Provence. I named you 4 teams that are closer to us then Toronto, with one of them being Canadian. Once again you even if I wasn't in the Leafs Region, there is many sports programs on CANADIAN (Not Ontario or Toronto) TV that has a leaf bias(in terms of amount of time they spend on covering the leafs) in their coverage. I once again stand by the fact while I get why they shove Leafs down my throat, that doesn't mean I have to like it and can't be annoyed by it thus have negative feelings about the team(this sort of feels like a case I am talking about apples(in this case why I hate the Leafs) and people countering my statement are talking oranges(talking about the business of hockey))

Last edited:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
You do realize Ontario is a big Provence. I named you 4 teams that are closer to us then Toronto, with one of them being Canadian. Once again you even if I wasn't in the Leafs Region, there is many sports programs on CANADIAN (Not Ontario or Toronto) TV that has a leaf bias(in terms of amount of time they spend on covering the leafs) in their coverage. I once again stand by the fact while I get why they shove Leafs down my throat, that doesn't mean I have to like it and can't be annoyed by it thus have negative feelings about the team
I mean, you're right that you're allowed to be annoyed by it, but when living in the province in which the largest team in the nation's largest sport resides, your awareness of why it's happening should be so high that it gives you the perspective required to move on and get over it. To then be able to look at only the sheer volume of media coverage (whether negative or positive) and allow that to fill you with negative feelings about the team itself speaks more about you than anything else.

If I moved to Quebec, I would expect to be bombarded with Canadiens news all the time - It's my responsibility to get over that.

If I moved to England, I would expect to be bombarded with coverage of completely different sports, and I would expect to have to go out of my way to find the kind of media that covered the sports and teams I was interested in - It's my responsibility to get over that.

You don't have to like anything that this world throws at you - I can't make you, the media can't make you, no one can make you. But eventually you just have to realize that these things can't possibly be that important, and then get over it, or else you risk a lot, a lot, a lot of discomfort as you journey through the world around you.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
You don't have to like anything that this world throws at you - I can't make you, the media can't make you, no one can make you. But eventually you just have to realize that these things can't possibly be that important, and then get over it, or else you risk a lot, a lot, a lot of discomfort as you journey through the world around you.

I did find a way to get over it, I pay $200 for gamecentre and avoid watching TSN and Sportsnet as much as humanly possible.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
What I still can't hate the Leafs for years of torture(ie my pre gamecentre hockey habits)? lol
:laugh: I mean - again - you can. It might just be a sign that you need to take a serious look at your priorities in life, that's all.

It's the same thing as those Islanders fans burning their old Tavares jerseys - In the wise words of the Great Ilya Bryzgalov: "It's just game - Why you heff to be mad?"

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
:laugh: I mean - again - you can. It might just be a sign that you need to take a serious look at your priorities in life, that's all.

My basic point is I grew up hating the leafs(mainly for the reason I gave) so old habits are hard to die even thought the thing that initially annoyed me about them isn't a factor much anymore(since I avoid Canadian Sports Media for the most part thanks to the Internet). It's not like this thing consumes my life 24/7.

Funny thing is come playoff time I actually am more likely to watch the Leafs, then 2 teams I am indifferent to since I have something to root against. lol

I was just giving my 2 cents in a thread I thought might want an outsiders perspective.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
People hate Toronto so much it makes them say Detroit is just as good:laugh:
Toronto is a lot closer to Paris than Detroit is to Toronto, trust me.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Why anyone would hate the Leafs for anything not related to hockey/their fans?

I'll revisit an earlier point: media coverage is driven by eyes on product. Leafs have the largest fan base, and thus the most eyeballs that can be drawn to a product. The higher the number of eyes on product, the higher ad profits for media companies. It's pure economics which drive Leafs coverage. We're not all calling into newspapers/television stations saying MOAR LEAFS NOW.

Sometimes you just need to accept the reality of the world you live in. It's not worth getting bent in shape over it, and if you have ways around it, then what's the big problem? Cancel your cable subscription and go purely digital via Gamecentre if you want to stick it to the cable companies for their Leafs coverage.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Who are these people you speak of?
Toronto is nothing like Paris, FFS.
Stare at your navel much?

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Because the city is just better than any other city in Canada.
It's not easy to live here in Toronto and the populace should be credited for doing so.
We have the worst traffic, highest prices for everything - from houses / condos to gas and taxes, daycare and food prices, insane politicians and street violence in Canada.

So yeah. We have it bad but one thing we take pride in the fact we are legion and everywhere....

Go Leafs Go.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Because the city is just better than any other city in Canada.
It's not easy to live here in Toronto and the populace should be credited for doing so.
We have the worst traffic, highest prices for everything - from houses / condos to gas and taxes, daycare and food prices, insane politicians and street violence in Canada.

So yeah. We have it bad but one thing we take pride in the fact we are legion and everywhere....

Go Leafs Go.

Our crime rate is actually amongst the lowest in Canada. You won't find a safer "Big city".

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Our crime rate is actually amongst the lowest in Canada. You won't find a safer "Big city".
As I said earlier, ignoring demographics when talking about crime is insane. More importantly, "crime" seems to only homicide and even when looking at wider violent crimes, poor analysis only harms communities disproportionately affected by it.

I'd say Toronto is built like most North American cities. However, public transportation including the bus feeder system is probably among the best.

Then again, suburban France with minority majority populations look pretty run down as well.

It's more their fans that people hate as opposed to the team.
Yet it's often repeated on the Leafs boards. You see, Leaf fans - like any other fanbase - are going to have disproportionately more ***holes than a book reading club.

On the bright site, it's probably comparable to a congregation of vegans.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
LOL this thread reminds me of the Rodney Dangerfield joke:
I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Didn't want to create a new thread dedicated to this asshole, so figured I'd leave this here. This is the "former scout" for the habs, and obviously a bitter betty.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The media doesn't ram the Leafs down the throats of anyone. They are business; their main interest is selling their product, people, to advertisers. The reason they have more Leafs covererage is because they can make more money for their shareholders. The demand is there ortherwise it wouldn't happen.

Reactions: LeafFever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad