Why does everybody hate the Leafs?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
People from Toronto believe that Toronto is one of the great cities of the world. In their mind they believe they are on par with the NYC's, Paris', Tokyo's of the world. When in reality most people outside of Toronto would have them more inline with somewhere like Detroit, Minny or Cleveland. It's this out of touch arrogance that is so gratting.

I think the same arrogance appeared over the last two decades when the layman Leafs fan bought into all the hype TSN and the other hockey outlets would apply to bad to mediocre Leafs teams and prospects over the last two years. They would always talk like they were the future of the hockey world, and would have an arrogant attitude even though the reality didn't match their beleafs.

Lolz had to spell it that way.

This is the worst post I have ever seen in my life lol

Detroit? Cleveland?

I am sure you are a nice person, but this is dumb as shit, we may not be Paris, but we lead or are in top 5 of almost any industry you choose, in the world. In fact most metrics have us high in every livability category you can find when it comes to measuring a city.

Count that we are a clean (for the size) low crime, diverse, have every food type possible, great nightlife, great neighbourhoods, and are growing all the time, comparing us to a city which went bankrupt is beyond stupid.

We are not perfect, but no city is.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I think many fans of other teams would say that the outlook presented in the post above is the exact reason why many fanbases hate the Leafs, your statements are rather pretentious (regardless of how true or untrue they might be). With that said all fanbases have this to an extent.

Part of being pretentious means we don’t care what other fan bases think.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Part of being pretentious means we don’t care what other fan bases think.

If you didn’t care then why post? I didn’t mean pretentious in a bad way, as I stated I love Toronto and it is a great place.

But if you tell other people that you’re superior to them because of where you’re from you shouldn’t be surprised when they don’t like you.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
"Again ask Isles fans about how they feel Tavares deceived them and his teammates and organization. To me I don't care either way since I feel Tavares contract will only be palatable for 2 years before he becomes another July 1 free agent signing that is overpaid and declining. In the end, if I am an Isles fan, I do not want a Captain that wants to leave at the first chance to test free agency. Test is the key word, he failed what a true captain would do. That is stay loyal to his teammates and to the team that he credited in shaping the person he is today. Isles are in an infinite better position than they were under Snow. So call it as I see it. No one blames him for testing free agency, he has earned this right."

Written by our dear friend TWS LOL

JT will decline by barely 30, and with sports science, nutrition, fitness, and rising cap, he will decline faster and the contract will be bad lol

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
If you didn’t care then why post? I didn’t mean pretentious in a bad way, as I stated I love Toronto and it is a great place.

But if you tell other people that you’re superior to them because of where you’re from you shouldn’t be surprised when they don’t like you.

That’s cool, I don’t need to be liked by strangers on the internet who I don’t share any interests with.

If you don’t like hearing that we are the center of the universe, too bad.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
"Again ask Isles fans about how they feel Tavares deceived them and his teammates and organization. To me I don't care either way since I feel Tavares contract will only be palatable for 2 years before he becomes another July 1 free agent signing that is overpaid and declining. In the end, if I am an Isles fan, I do not want a Captain that wants to leave at the first chance to test free agency. Test is the key word, he failed what a true captain would do. That is stay loyal to his teammates and to the team that he credited in shaping the person he is today. Isles are in an infinite better position than they were under Snow. So call it as I see it. No one blames him for testing free agency, he has earned this right."

JT will decline by barely 30, and with sports science, nutrition, fitness, and rising cap, he will decline faster and the contract will be bad lol
Someone revealed he was Spatso on Hockeybuzz and that blew my mind. Dude has been ranting like a loon for so many years.

Reactions: DanM

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Goddamnit. Of course that thread would be locked now, now how will I point out his hypocrisy? Whatever I'll just post it here. TWS said earlier (before JT would sign with the Leafs) that Tavares would play at a high level up till 32. Basically 5 years of the 7 year contract we gave him. Lol I'll gladly take a 75-85 point JT for the majority of his contract. What a change in tune.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-warning-in-1.2507507/page-112#post-147366397

If JT gets a 7-8 year deal. Yes, he will be overpaid in the latter years of his contract. I have been consistent on this. The vast majority of good players wind down in their latter years. The real productive years I am looking at are before age 32 if we are discussing the cap hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Goddamnit. Of course that thread would be locked now, now how will I point out his hypocrisy? Whatever I'll just post it here. TWS said earlier (before JT would sign with the Leafs) that Tavares would play at a high level up till 32. Basically 5 years of the 7 year contract we gave him. Lol I'll gladly take a 75-85 point JT for the majority of his contract. What a change in tune.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-warning-in-1.2507507/page-112#post-147366397

Lest we forget also that he was gearing up to start hyping Liljegren leading up to the 2017 draft, but never mentioned the kid again after he was drafted by us. Guess he never expected him to fall to us.

What a piece of work, he literally is the most garbage poster I have ever seen, I don't even think he has a clue about half the crap he spews.

My 10 year old nephew has more in depth knowledge of the game lol

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He doesn't even get embarrassed or stop posting when he gets proven wrong over and over.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
You can bring up all the list you want. All I can tell you is that's what annoys me about Toronto and lots of the people I know. Having lived in Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Saskatoon and Toronto (although for only 6 months) I have no desire to move back there.

Anecdotal evidence is not an argument. You may not want to live here, yet people are consistently settling in and calling this place their home.

You can tell yourselves that you're right any everybody else is wrong but you can't force them to change their opinion.

Trying to convince someone West of Thunder Bay that Toronto is not as terrible as they claim is an exercise in futility. We know how you lot feel about us. You're all basically born and raised to have a bias against Toronto.

And I didn't mean to compare them to Detroit and Cleveland directly. I meant it in the sense that they are all bland, cold, sprawling cities (not so much Cleveland I guess) so maybe Buffalo would be better? There are no real attractive destination or festivals in any of those cities that draw me there, the weather isn't great in any of them, the people aren't great to deal with, and the public transport can be brutal which is made worse by how spread out the city is.

Don't think anyone would describe the city as "bland." If you were bored during your time here that's on you.

But the real kicker is that most of you will look past this and discredit this outside opinion and continue only genuinely believing Toronto is one of the greatest cities in the world.

You're discrediting our opinions based on where we're from so why on earth should we give you the benefit of the doubt? You were here for half a year. Your "expertise" on the city should 100% be taken with a grain of salt.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Anecdotal evidence is not an argument. You may not want to live here, yet people are consistently settling in and calling this place their home.

Trying to convince someone West of Thunder Bay that Toronto is not as terrible as they claim is an exercise in futility. We know how you lot feel about us. You're all basically born and raised to have a bias against Toronto.

Don't think anyone would describe the city as "bland." If you were bored during your time here that's on you.

You're discrediting our opinions based on where we're from so why on earth should we give you the benefit of the doubt? You were here for half a year. Your "expertise" on the city should 100% be taken with a grain of salt.
All kinds of irony in this post, hope you recognize it, East of Thunder Bay guy.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

The irony is, there's a million ex Montrealers living in Toronto. LOL.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
The irony is, there's a million ex Montrealers living in Toronto. LOL.
I was thinking the same...

Torontonians, if anything, are pretty down-to-Earth due to the diversity. While I wouldn't make irrelevant crime rate comparisons with other cities ( ignoring demographics is idiotic), I'd argue that the city is pretty relaxed. Even though Quebec city beats Toronto in terms of architecture, Montreal on the nightlife front, Vancouver with outdoors options, the personality of its inhabitants edges other towns IMO.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
We are the Yankees of the NHL.

Now imagine the last time the Yankees won the World Series was over 50 years ago...

Yeah I don’t get why the hate

Probably jealousy that we as a fan base are the most hopeful despite all the past heartbreaks of the last 50+ years we are the most die hard fans in the whole league possibly all sports leagues...

We are due for a Cup but we could be waiting another 50 years...luckily I believe in the Shanaplan and no I’m not another delusional Leaf fan. It’s gonna happen at least once before 2030

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I was snooping over the Ottawa boards and that thread

"are you embarrassed to be a senators fan"...I knew it was going to devolve into taking shots at the Leafs at some point.

Happened on the first page.

:laugh:

I revel in their misery. They more than deserve it.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I was thinking the same...

Torontonians, if anything, are pretty down-to-Earth due to the diversity. While I wouldn't make irrelevant crime rate comparisons with other cities ( ignoring demographics is idiotic), I'd argue that the city is pretty relaxed. Even though Quebec city beats Toronto in terms of architecture, Montreal on the nightlife front, Vancouver with outdoors options, the personality of its inhabitants edges other towns IMO.
If you talk to English Montrealers, you are hard-pressed to find one saying they don't want to move out of Montreal. Fun city to spend 48 hrs in, horrible city to live in. It's a shadow of it's former self. Toronto has lead-frogged Montreal starting in the 70's and hasn't looked back.
Montreal is so laid back they won't allow any English anywhere. LOL. It's really not relaxed at all.

srnd9399

Apr 10, 2018
NB, Canada
I was snooping over the Ottawa boards and that thread

"are you embarrassed to be a senators fan"...I knew it was going to devolve into taking shots at the Leafs at some point.

Happened on the first page.

:laugh:

I revel in their misery. They more than deserve it.
Making fun of other teams is far more enjoyable than discussing their own shortcomings. That and its the Leafs. Everyone hates us

:nod:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Making fun of other teams is far more enjoyable than discussing their own shortcomings. That and its the Leafs. Everyone hates us

:nod:

Habs and especially the Sens needed a good kick off their collective high horses. Smug lil shits using the Leafs as a kicking can this past decade, proudly proclaiming that each would never see their teams in the same situation as the Leafs were then.

Turn about...it's a bitch. I hope they remember humble pie from now on. No team is beyond failure, complete or otherwise.

Because of this, the friends I have who are Habs friends are now much nicer when talking hockey. It's a nice time.

srnd9399

Apr 10, 2018
NB, Canada
Habs and especially the Sens needed a good kick off their collective high horses. Smug lil ****s using the Leafs as a kicking can this past decade, proudly proclaiming that each would never see their teams in the same situation as the Leafs were then.

Turn about...it's a *****. I hope they remember humble pie from now on. No team is beyond failure, complete or otherwise.

Because of this, the friends I have who are Habs friends are now much nicer when talking hockey. It's a nice time.
Couldn't agree more.
I've always been a humble fan of our team, and when the digs came our way I'd simply say it was only a matter of time until they make it back. Here where I live it seems you're either a Leafs, Habs, or Bruins fan. I never hear from any Habs fans now ( for obvious reasons ) Life is good!

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
An oldie but still makes me :laugh:. Toronto's map of Canada.

Toronto 1.jpg

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This is the worst post I have ever seen in my life lol

Detroit? Cleveland?

I am sure you are a nice person, but this is dumb as ****, we may not be Paris, but we lead or are in top 5 of almost any industry you choose, in the world. In fact most metrics have us high in every livability category you can find when it comes to measuring a city.

Count that we are a clean (for the size) low crime, diverse, have every food type possible, great nightlife, great neighbourhoods, and are growing all the time, comparing us to a city which went bankrupt is beyond stupid.

We are not perfect, but no city is.

Yeah, I don't get that post at all. I grew up in Michigan, lived in Detroit for a while, lived in Philly, lived in New England, lived not far from Montreal, lived just north of NYC and now live in Raleigh. Toronto, by most people I know, view the city of Toronto in a pretty favorable light.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Thought title of thread was about the Leafs, not the differences of Canadian cities. I've been to most and have lived in some, have no complaints, all were great it their own way, other than weather. I would not judge a book by it's cover or judge a place by it's team's fan base.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad