Why does everybody hate the Leafs?

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
This is the worst post I have ever seen in my life lol

Detroit? Cleveland?

I am sure you are a nice person, but this is dumb as ****, we may not be Paris, but we lead or are in top 5 of almost any industry you choose, in the world. In fact most metrics have us high in every livability category you can find when it comes to measuring a city.

Count that we are a clean (for the size) low crime, diverse, have every food type possible, great nightlife, great neighbourhoods, and are growing all the time, comparing us to a city which went bankrupt is beyond stupid.

We are not perfect, but no city is.

I've lived in Boston and Chicago most of my life. I worked in London, Ontario for a year. It's not Toronto, but they have the same attitude about Canada. They know all of the polls and places rated surveys and seem pissed off that Americans don't think about them more or know more about their country.

The key to being a world class city is not giving a s*** what anyone else thinks. When someone makes a negative comment about your city, coming up with polls and rankings is the last thing you want to do.

Toronto is a pleasant city. I'm not sure why it isn't world class. It may be the way you pronounce your "o"s. I think that's killing you.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Positive Leafs talk just kills them.

I mentioned in a thread in the main polls that there has never been a 1-2 superstar center tandem that has played together for 5 years and NOT won a cup, and all they can do is call me a troll. They can’t stand the thought of Matthews-Tavares winning a cup.

There’s nothing like logic, rational thinking, and good ol’ positivity to rile them up. And it wasn’t even my intention. All I wanted was an honest discussion!

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I've lived in Boston and Chicago most of my life. I worked in London, Ontario for a year. It's not Toronto, but they have the same attitude about Canada. They know all of the polls and places rated surveys and seem pissed off that Americans don't think about them more or know more about their country.

The key to being a world class city is not giving a s*** what anyone else thinks. When someone makes a negative comment about your city, coming up with polls and rankings is the last thing you want to do.

Toronto is a pleasant city. I'm not sure why it isn't world class. It may be the way you pronounce your "o"s. I think that's killing you.

It is in my opinion. I always have a great time there. The people are great also.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Perhaps it's our problem after all. Perhaps we could dial down our personal civic chauvinism then sit back and see others' city/provincial/team chauvinism for the archaic nonsense it is.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Leafs have been around for more than 100 years. Generally sports likes and dislikes are past on from generation to generation. Plus the hate nation picks up a few extra people here and there every year. The bandwagon haters i call them. lol

So it can be easy to imagine why the Leafs have a lot of haters

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

I don’t think we are pissed Americans don’t know much about us as we are amazed that your education system fails so often when it comes to world issues and global history.

I think it’s fair to say that with your current “leader”, Putin Jr, there is not a thing we envy about living in a US city.

Reactions: 1specter

SoCal Leafs

Jul 1, 2018
So Cal
I don’t think we are pissed Americans don’t know much about us as we are amazed that your education system fails so often when it comes to world issues and global history.

I think it’s fair to say that with your current “leader”, Putin Jr, there is not a thing we envy about living in a US city.

That is a gross generalization on more than one of your points. There are plenty of Canadians and ex-Torontonians living very happily in the US without a desire to return north. And, no, we're not all insane or low IQ expats.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
That is a gross generalization on more than one of your points. There are plenty of Canadians and ex-Torontonians living very happily in the US without a desire to return north. And, no, we're not all insane or low IQ expats.

Any more of a gross generalization that up here we all want to be acknowledged by Americans?

I think you will find exceptions on both sides of that point but the general feeling would be proven true that if given a chcoice, more Canadians would choose to live in Canada.

And true, some might feel right at home in Trump’s America.

SoCal Leafs

Jul 1, 2018
So Cal
Any more of a gross generalization that up here we all want to be acknowledged by Americans?

I think you will find exceptions on both sides of that point but the general feeling would be proven true that if given a chcoice, more Canadians would choose to live in Canada.

And some might feel right at home in Trump’s America.

I think we would both agree in principle that generalizations are not fair or useful when trying to make a cogent argument. But to enhance your generalization with the statement "your education system fails so often when it comes to world issues and global history" not only generalizes but debases the quality of education many Americans do have. Moreover, it is unnecessarily insulting to our American neighbors and friends, whether it was your intention to do so or not. I've taught and studied in classrooms on both sides of the border, and in my experience many Americans are just as well educated as Canadians (if not more so, if they are from affluent communities). Yes, there is a vast and unjust disparity in education in the US between the haves and have-nots but I will leave that topic for discussion on a more appropriate thread.

As for your assertion that "if given a chcoice [sic], more Canadians would choose to live in Canada", I think that with the exception of people living in impoverished, war-torn, or unsafe countries, you could very reasonably substitute "Canadians" and "Canada" with most other people and their country of citizenship and that phrase would still ring true. There are plenty of empirical arguments to use to support the assertion that Canadians would prefer living there than in the U.S. but that is not an effective one to use.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

It is a world class city, it's bigger than Chicago too for reference sake. Nobody outside of New Hampshire knows where it is or cares about it, Toronto is known globally, leave your city for once.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I think we would both agree in principle that generalizations are not fair or useful when trying to make a cogent argument. But to enhance your generalization with the statement "your education system fails so often when it comes to world issues and global history" not only generalizes but debases the quality of education many Americans do have. Moreover, it is unnecessarily insulting to our American neighbors and friends, whether it was your intention to do so or not. I've taught and studied in classrooms on both sides of the border, and in my experience many Americans are just as well educated as Canadians (if not more so, if they are from affluent communities). Yes, there is a vast and unjust disparity in education in the US between the haves and have-nots but I will leave that topic for discussion on a more appropriate thread.

As for your assertion that "if given a chcoice [sic], more Canadians would choose to live in Canada", I think that with the exception of people living in impoverished, war-torn, or unsafe countries, you could very reasonably substitute "Canadians" and "Canada" with most other people and their country of citizenship and that phrase would still ring true. There are plenty of empirical arguments to use to support the assertion that Canadians would prefer living there than in the U.S. but that is not an effective one to use.

That would all make perfect sense about 1.5 years ago.

SoCal Leafs

Jul 1, 2018
So Cal
Um, if you don't know, I'm not surprised, but I suspect otherwise.
I used to like going to the US, not so much anymore.

Since you didn't elaborate and could only reply "Um, if you don't know, I'm not surprised, but I suspect otherwise," I'll take a not so wild guess that you're referring to the US in the current Trump era. Yes, absolutely, the US in many ways is worse off than before.

What is it about my post that would "make perfect sense 1.5 years ago"? Are generalizations are now good because of the Trump administration? Is the American educational system markedly less effective now than 1.5 years ago? Is it OK to insult Americans now but not 1.5 years ago?

If you're implying something else, why post my quote? I'm just trying to understand.

Bill Berg

Golly!
Dec 15, 2013

What Canadian was pissed off Americans don't know more about Canada? I bet it was Scott, that dick.

Reactions: GLG12xx12

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Just throwing my 2 cents as a non Leafs fan living in Canada. The Leafs are generally hated because broadcasters basically pander their shows to Leaf Fans. I don't know how many times for instance I turned on Sportscentre only wanting to see highlights of my favorite team only to have a 5 minute segment on what is happening in leafs world and a quick 10 second mention of what happened in the game I care about(and it's not even a case the 10 second mention is before the 5 minute Leaf Land report so I could tune out).

I am guessing many other don't like the fact that the CBC constantly would play leaf games Saturday night not giving a chance to fans of other teams(as an Islanders fan in Ontario this didn't bother me as much since I don't expect CBC to play Islander games, but I know it would annoy me say if I was an Ottawa or Montreal Fan)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Re: Quality of American education system

There are certainly many examples of prestigious and scholarly US schools. Many advancements and discoveries in science, medicine etc.

The issue is the overall experience. There is a gap between your best and your worst. And it’s big. Public vs Private. Pay vs Subsidy. Unfortunately, like most things in America, it’s driven along economic lines. Some succeed and many are left behind.

Re: Quality of Canadian Education system

How Canada became an education superpower

Re: Insulting Americans

I don’t mean that preference over Canada to be an insult to Americans.

However, if it is considered insulting to highlight that if one votes for a racist that makes one an enabler of racism, so be it.

Even still, many Americans didn’t vote for the path you are on (though an 80% approval rating amongst Republicans is astounding). But that doesn’t mean that the rest of the world wants to live the nightmare with you.

I do have faith that the rest of the country will wake up and be the beacon of freedom and moral authority that you used to be known for.

Bill Berg

Golly!
Dec 15, 2013
Just throwing my 2 cents as a non Leafs fan living in Canada. The Leafs are generally hated because broadcasters basically pander their shows to Leaf Fans. I don't know how many times for instance I turned on Sportscentre only wanting to see highlights of my favorite team only to have a 5 minute segment on what is happening in leafs world and a quick 10 second mention of what happened in the game I care about(and it's not even a case the 10 second mention is before the 5 minute Leaf Land report so I could tune out).

I am guessing many other don't like the fact that the CBC constantly would play leaf games Saturday night not giving a chance to fans of other teams(as an Islanders fan in Ontario this didn't bother me as much since I don't expect CBC to play Islander games, but I know it would annoy me say if I was an Ottawa or Montreal Fan)

That's a bad reason to hate the Leafs and Leafs fans. Good reason to hate money though.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I've honestly embraced it.

I love the hate, and as we get more successful, the boards will slowly shut down and implode.

Investing in the downfall of anything competitive is really setting yourself up for failure. Eventually everyone wins. The Leafs WILL have their turn. And those who are stupid enough to invest their identity into hating the Leafs will not be able to deal with their success due to the embarrassment OF being so personally invested in the Leafs downfall.

Those posters (a good chunk of HF boards) will honestly implode. Accounts will be closed...it will be glorious.

I wish them all well!

Reactions: Leafidelity

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
The team has been the laughing stock of the NHL for a decade recently, I get that. But as soon as things start getting better, everybody just brings out rabid hate. I don’t think even MTL or OTT fans hate Toronto as much as some other fans do. Just look at the main board on these forums. Matthews is never given enough credit, McDavid is on a whole other level than him, and the Leafs in general are just lucky and taking advantage of teams having bad seasons. All Leafs prospects are overrated.

Even the damn NHL has no respect for this city or franchise which they’ve shown simply by giving it **** all for it’s centennial year.
Who cares? Respect only means something if the person giving that respect matters in some way. If you aren't a Leaf fan your opinion of the team doesn't matter, so your respect has zero value anyway. Let them hate and don't waste time worrying about things that don't matter. We have John Tavares, they have cap space where John Tavares used to be, let them hate us. We have Auston Matthews, they have Olli Juolevi, of course they hate us. We have Mike Babcock, they have some guy who was hired because he's bilingual, let them hate us. Their hate actually feels pretty good.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

What bothers me about this attitude is that so many non-Leaf fans think this and you are all 100% wrong. You honestly think all the networks are Leaf fans and they are doing Leaf fans a favour? Do you guys not understand how network television works? The Leafs make the networks money. Lots of money. More than any other team. So no, they aren't pandering to Leaf fans, they are going with the team that is the most popular and therefore makes them the most $. I can't believe how many people don't get this.

And BTW, the latest NHL broadcasting rights were for BILLIONS. They paid that with their own money. You do understand the Ottawa Senators won't draw nearly the same audience or ad revenue, right?

A private corporation has every right to get the money back on their investment. And spare me the outdated "My Tax Dollars" crap, CBC paid nothing for the TV rights and Rogers is just using their networks in partnership because more people have access to that channel than SN.

I think non-Leaf fans don't want to admit this because then they admit how popular the Leafs are.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What bothers me about this attitude is that so many non-Leaf fans think this and you are all 100% wrong. You honestly think all the networks are Leaf fans and they are doing Leaf fans a favour? Do you guys not understand how network television works? The Leafs make the networks money. Lots of money. More than any other team. So no, they aren't pandering to Leaf fans, they are going with the team that is the most popular and therefore makes them the most $. I can't believe how many people don't get this.

And BTW, the latest NHL broadcasting rights were for BILLIONS. They paid that with their own money. You do understand the Ottawa Senators won't draw nearly the same audience or ad revenue, right?

A private corporation has every right to get the money back on their investment. And spare me the outdated "My Tax Dollars" crap, CBC paid nothing for the TV rights and Rogers is just using their networks in partnership because more people have access to that channel than SN.

I think non-Leaf fans don't want to admit this because then they admit how popular the Leafs are.

I don't deny anything you say about money, still doesn't change the fact that TV stations pander their broadcasts for Leaf fans and it's annoying if you aren't a leaf fan

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I don't deny anything you say about money, still doesn't change the fact that TV stations pander their broadcasts for Leaf fans and it's annoying if you aren't a leaf fan
How is it pandering? Explain that? You just agreed with me and then went back to the pandering argument. You are like Trump at a news conference.
The Leafs are shown more because the Leafs bring in more revenue than any other team and better ratings. That has nothing to do with them wanting to please Leaf fans and being huge Leaf homers.
Everytime the Leafs/Canucks games at 4 PM PT on Saturday are shown I have to explain to all Canuck fans why that occurs and it isn't to make Leaf fans happy like they all think.
Non-Leaf fans continually prove they do not understand or want to understand how broadcast television works.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It should be noted that just because someone talks about the Leafs does not inherently mean they are pandering to Leafs fans. There's been a lot of garbage in the media over the past 10 years when things were not going well - Just because it was Leaf-related doesn't mean it was put out there to make us feel warm and fuzzy inside about our team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->