Why do some prospects choose the NCAA?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
The thing is, you are losing two, three or four years of your pro career to go the NCAA route. Your pro hockey window is very limited, you can always get your education once you are done.

It is like backwards priorities. Are kids getting bad advice? Sounds like it to me.

Because every player to ever play in the NCAA or CHL gets into professional hockey right? Some kids LIKE having a back up, just in case they're not the next big thing ;). And it's easier to fit in to the university atmosphere when you're a teenager/20s than in your 30s or 40s.

Ogopogo*

Canadians play NCAA hockey for reverence/sporting tradition? Because Canadian youngsters grow up dreaming of playing for (for example) Minnesota?

You selectively bolded a part of his sentence. I'm sure that it was an honest oversight on your part.

No, it is obviously an American reverence for the NCAA. I have honestly never met a Canadian that ever wanted to grow up to play in the NCAA. I have, however, met many Canadian kids that wanted to grow up to play CHL hockey.

Americans choose the NCAA because they grow up with it and aspire to it. Canadians do it because they don't feel they are sure-fire NHLers and they want extra time to develop and/or get an education.

Taylor Hall, for example, would never have considered the NCAA. For him, there would be no point to it.

That is what I have learned in this thread. That and that many people have missed my point. Some think I am bashing the NCAA - read the thread and understand what is really being asked.

Last edited by a moderator:

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
It's interesting to see that the people ripping the NCAA are all Canadians. It's also interesting how they make claims that make the CHL sound like it has the best of everything and the NCAA is simply pee wee hockey in Mississippi. It's amazing how many terrible coaches are in the NCAA. How NCAA players have no time to practice, lift weights, study video, have one on one coaching, etc.:shakehead How taking the NCAA route doesn't help players physically mature or mentally mature.

I honestly was not going to respond when I saw who the OP was (and knowing his history here) but felt I had to say something when I saw the asinine anti-NCAA comments.

Well said.
There are many routes to the NHL and NCAA & CHL are 2 of them....2 of the best.
The best route varies from player to player and the choice he and his family must make is an important one.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
No, it is obviously an American reverence for the NCAA. I have honestly never met a Canadian that ever wanted to grow up to pla in the NCAA. I have, however, met many Canadian kids that wanted to grow up to play CHL hockey.

And yet, lots of Canadians do. You've received plenty of answers as to why they do that, but you seem to be stuck on one reason, and one reason only.

I know you believe that NCAA hockey is some backwoods C-level hockey, but you've done a very poor job of convincing others here of that claim.

Ogopogo*

And yet, lots of Canadians do. You've received plenty of answers as to why they do that, but you seem to be stuck on one reason, and one reason only.

I know you believe that NCAA hockey is some backwoods C-level hockey, but you've done a very poor job of convincing others here of that claim.

You are one of the many that have missed my point.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

When everyone in a discussion misses the point, except for the thread originator, I'm not as worried about whether or I specifically missed the point.

PlagerBros*

Here is something for you to think about:

If one person misses your point then it's probably his or her fault.

If many people miss your point then it's obvious you aren't doing a good job of making your point clear.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Certainly almost every Canadian who comes down is doing so for the education, not out of reverence/sporting tradition dating to childhood the way it works in a few states like Minnesota, North Dakota, Michigan and Massachusetts.

Just a minor point: most years the majority of the North Dakota players are from Alberta or Manitoba.

The NCAA offers some potential advantages over the CHL. The players have often already played a year or two of juniors in leagues like the USHL and thus tend to be older and arguably physically better developed. Is it an advantage with respect to someone's development to play against stronger players? Most likely. Moreover, just because they play less games doesn't mean that they spend less time on the ice (although there are NCAA rules limiting practice time). Players don't only develop in games: they also develop in practice, in the weight room, and through other off-ice activities like plyometrics. It would be ignorant to generalize that CHL teams across Canada or NCAA teams are superior to the other in these things.

Ogopogo*

Here is something for you to think about:

If one person misses your point then it's probably his or her fault.

If many people miss your point then it's obvious you aren't doing a good job of making your point clear.

Actually, I think it is the HFBoards reality that nobody actually reads all of the posts fully and completely. I should have taken all of my subsequent posts and put them in the original post and the problem would (hoepfully) be solved.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I have honestly never met a Canadian that ever wanted to grow up to play in the NCAA. I have, however, met many Canadian kids that wanted to grow up to play CHL hockey.

First part..so? Just because you haven't met them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Canadians do it because they don't feel they are sure-fire NHLers and they want extra time to develop and/or get an education.

Lie.

Taylor Hall, for example, would never have considered the NCAA. For him, there would be no point to it.

So?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

Well he / she is not alone.

Both routes are good options.

These options are what each player and his family must choose based on their circumstance.

I for one am glad that more than 1 option is avaiable to the kids.

There is no right and wrong.....what difference does it make to you?

If you have a son and choose option A vs option B that is your families decision and is not up to outsiders to say you are right or wrong.

PlagerBros*

Actually, I think it is the HFBoards reality that nobody actually reads all of the posts fully and completely. I should have taken all of my subsequent posts and put them in the original post and the problem would (hoepfully) be solved.

I get it, you always have to put the blame on someone else rather then admitting you made a mistake.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
When everyone in a discussion misses the point, except for the thread originator, I'm not as worried about whether or I specifically missed the point.

It's a convenient tactic is it not?

Poster A makes a claim.

Every other poster refutes it.

Poster A claims that wasn't his point.

member 30781

A. I have honestly never met a Canadian that ever wanted to grow up to play in the NCAA. I have, however, met many Canadian kids that wanted to grow up to play CHL hockey.

I am friends with a kid who is playing in the GTHL. And you won't believe this, but he wants to go play in the NCAA instead of the CHL.

Go figure.....

Ogopogo*

I get it, you always have to put the blame on someone else rather then admitting you made a mistake.

What mistake?

I was asking why someone who aspires to be in the NHL would opt to play in the NCAA.

I have heard two valid reasons in this thread.

The only mistake is you and others misunderstanding, thinking that this is somehow a bashing of the NCAA.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
No, it is obviously an American reverence for the NCAA. I have honestly never met a Canadian that ever wanted to grow up to play in the NCAA. I have, however, met many Canadian kids that wanted to grow up to play CHL hockey.

Americans choose the NCAA because they grow up with it and aspire to it. Canadians do it because they don't feel they are sure-fire NHLers and they want extra time to develop and/or get an education.

That is what I have learned in this thread. That and that many people have missed my point. Some think I am bashing the NCAA - read the thread and understand what is really being asked.

Toews for one was a pretty surefire NHL player, and Jaden Schwartz also was and continues to be a highly-touted prospect. Both of them played in the United States before they were drafted and that might have had something to do with it. The CHL is not the beginning of your "career," though, while the NCAA is merely a side trip or a delay for lesser prospects, as you suggested at the beginning of the thread.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Because the top colleges are just as good for development as the CHL. Even top guys from Canada like Toews and St Louis choose the NCAA over CHL.

Guys can also choose to sign with their clubs after 1 year of NCAA. They aren't locked into getting a degree.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of kids when they're making the choice to go CHL or NCAA realize that the odds are against them ever playing in the NHL. Playing for an NCAA team can help them get into and graduate from colleges they might not be able to were they not playing for the team. And if pro hockey doesn't become a viable career option, they're already done with school, rather than having to start when they're already in their mid 20s.

Also, I think college hockey can be the best option for kids that are underdeveloped physically. It can give them an extra 2-4 years to add size and strength before they need to find a pro contract, and the lighter schedule can allow more time in the gym and less games means less bulk being burnt off by play. And as another poster mentioned, college tends to be more about playing defensive systems, which can be good for developing a player's all around game. On average, I find that kids coming out of college are more ready for the pro game than kids coming out of the CHL. I certainly don't mean that as a knock on the CHL, as I do feel the CHL is the best route to the NHL for the majority of prospects.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Because college sports is so big down here....It's what they grow up with and aren't exposed to major junior until there teenage years if they are good enough for that level.

Just like any kid in Canada who's dream to play major junior, a kid in the USA is thinking of playing for BC, BU, Michigan, Wisconsin, North Dakota, Minnesota, Denver etc.

I understand your point about the CHL offering an Education package to every player, but it's voided after a player plays a year and half of professional hockey. So after a 15 year career lets say, you can't use your CHL education package because it's null and voided.[/QUOTE]

Correct and fair comment......you leave junior ....go pro your education is gone.
Same thing with players that leave the NCAA after a year or 2. You leave and your education is gone.

Are you sure about that? I'm sure Brooks Orpik finished his degree at BC fairly recently, though I imagine it wasn't covered by his scholarship anymore.

PlagerBros*

What mistake?

I was asking why someone who aspires to be in the NHL would opt to play in the NCAA.

I have heard two valid reasons in this thread.

The only mistake is you and others misunderstanding, thinking that this is somehow a bashing of the NCAA.

1) As I said before, when many people do not understand your point then you are doing a poor job of making it. That is your mistake.

2) Do you really think that we are dumb enough to think you aren't bashing the NCAA?!?!?!? Wow, just wow.:shakehead

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Most prospects aren't Taylor Hall though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pros - More time practicing on weaknesses, more time gaining muscle, much more mature; helps leadership for future.

Cons - Weaker talent, less games, weaker development in some schools, less scout viewing compared to CHL.

Being a Canadian-American myself both paths choose different yet satisfying options. If I was good enough to pick I would go to the NCAA first and see if I would enjoy the life. As I would have the back up option of going to the CHL in my 2nd year. But if I was hyped as a top 5 pick throughout bantam/midget I would highly consider CHL as first option.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I would say the education factor is a big one in players choosing NCAA vs Juniors. A lot of schools with hockey program are also great institutions of higher knowledge.

I'd like to see the NCAA shift to make collegiate hockey more like juniors and the NHL. Eliminate the full cage, allow fighting, maybe lengthen the schedule, etc.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I would say the education factor is a big one in players choosing NCAA vs Juniors. A lot of schools with hockey program are also great institutions of higher knowledge.

I'd like to see the NCAA shift to make collegiate hockey more like juniors and the NHL. Eliminate the full cage, allow fighting, maybe lengthen the schedule, etc.

They're already getting rid of the cages. Not sure what fighting is really going to add, do College teams really want to be carrying enforcers? Increasing the schedule would be difficult because of travel and class commitments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad