Speculation: Why Dion's Next Contract Will Be Cap Friendly

BayStreetBullies*

I'd say 7 million is fair. If he signs for 6.5 but with a longer term, that's great too. I don't expect him to take a paycut, he's definitely earned the big contract.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not according to some of the dreamers on here:

4-year contract
5.5-6.5 cap hit
Phaneuf should take a pay cut
He's already peaked, and will get worse from here on out
etc.

Just some of the gems that have been thrown out there. :laugh:

Indeed!

LOL what has happened to this thread? Some people are even saying let him walk - WTF is going on here? Just think, when was the last time Toronto had a d-man as good as Phaneuf. Has there been anyone since Salming?

I dunno, what do these people have against having an all-star caliber d-man anchour our D? We finally get one and ... let him walk?

Boggles my mind.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The equation is simply this:

a) Keep Dion at a cost in the range of $7M per season for 5-7 years

b) Trade Dion, secure an asset (probably a draft pick/prospect), use the money in the offseason to replace his roster spot. No guarantees you will replace quality for quality.

In choosing b) you are likely parlaying Dion into 2 NHL players for the same salary BUT putting a big dent in the potential playoff success of the team over the short term

Though maybe not the right decision, I'd be shocked if the team chooses anything but a).

BayStreetBullies*

Indeed!

LOL what has happened to this thread? Some people are even saying let him walk - WTF is going on here? Just think, when was the last time Toronto had a d-man as good as Phaneuf. Has there been anyone since Salming?

I dunno, what do these people have against having an all-star caliber d-man anchour our D? We finally get one and ... let him walk?

Boggles my mind.

Besides Salming, I guess Kaberle might come close. And maybe Larry Murphy although he was a scapegoat in his 2 seasons with us.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think that's fair, all though the term seems a little long for his age.

But overall, that's a cap hit we should expect for Phaneuf.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
images

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I like how it isn't starting higher than that. Optimistic for it to be around that number- hopefully a bit lower

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
At 8 years it's gotta be under $6.5M.

However, it's hard to find a good UFA comparable. Keith and Yandle signed their deals as RFAs. Chara and Weber are perennial Norris candidates. Streit and Timonen are too old. Suter's deal was more than 8 years. Edler is clearly a level below Phaneuf.

Last edited:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He'd get way more on the open market but was hoping for a bigger discount. The last thing we need is Grabo or Liles 2.0, not that it matters for a player of Phaneuf's calibre (most of the time)- but for cap integrity purposes.

7 years at current cap hit or a bit lower would be amazing.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
let's be very careful taking kyper's word for gospel here.

if you actually watched the video, it's obvious that hyper is just guessing and really has no clue.

Not to mention a little while ago we were convinced Kadri's agent was asking 40M over 8 years.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
I'd be fine with that number. A year less on the term would be nice but I don't know how realistic that is. 7x years at anything under 7 would make me happy but 7.1 isn't too crazy a number, especially to start with.

Hope we get Dion signed quickly and reasonably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad