Speculation: Why Dion's Next Contract Will Be Cap Friendly

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
Nick Kypreos was reporting that the bar has been set to begin negotiations @ $50 million over 7 years, for what that is worth?

Swayzetrain*

Nick Kypreos was reporting that the bar has been set to begin negotiations @ $50 million over 7 years, for what that is worth?

Well thats about 7m cap hit so Nonis can negotiate down from there.

He definitely won't get that IMO

I'd do a 4 yr deal at that hit.

BayStreetBullies*

Comparing Dion's "progression" vs Kessel's is like comparing night and day.

Of course it is. One is a defenceman, the other is a forward.

bobbyflex said:
Dion has peaked imo. Don't get me wrong, i like the guy and we absolutely need to sign him. But if you're expecting bigger and better things from him down the road prepare to be disappointed

Well you're in for a surprise (a surprise to you atleast) when Phaneuf proves you wrong, just like Kessel proved the haters wrong time and time again.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Well you're in for a surprise (a surprise to you atleast) when Phaneuf proves you wrong, just like Kessel proved the haters wrong time and time again.

Why does he HAVE to improve? If he maintains his current level of play but maybe just becomes a little bit more consistent I'd willingly pay 6.5 that.

BayStreetBullies*

Well thats about 7m cap hit so Nonis can negotiate down from there.

He definitely won't get that IMO

I'd do a 4 yr deal at that hit.

The 7 m cap hit is the starting point, as in the minimum. The only way that goes down is if Phaneuf is offered a bigger term. Please disregard any unrealistic expectations of a 4 year deal, that would be insulting to the top 10-15 dman that is our captain.

BayStreetBullies*

Why does he HAVE to improve? If he maintains his current level of play but maybe just becomes a little bit more consistent I'd willingly pay 6.5 that.

He's already making 6.5, and he's gotten much better. Why do some people assume a defenceman's peak/prime years are the same as a forward?

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON

Settle down kid. Nobody is hating on Dion. People are entitled to their opinions

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Top-10 in dman scoring most every year, goals and points, and is a beast of a physical defensive matchup defender regularly shutting down the likes of Crosby and Getzlaf, and faces the toughest qualcomp in all of hockey.

The man is an elite defenseman, through and through. $7 million is a bargain.

BayStreetBullies*

Settle down kid. Nobody is hating on Dion. People are entitled to their opinions

Maybe you should settle down...kid. There's a difference between having an opinion, and living in an NHL 14 world.

BayStreetBullies*

Top-10 in dman scoring most every year, goals and points, and is a beast of a physical defensive matchup defender regularly shutting down the likes of Crosby and Getzlaf, and faces the toughest qualcomp in all of hockey.

Not according to some of the dreamers on here:

4-year contract
5.5-6.5 cap hit
Phaneuf should take a pay cut
He's already peaked, and will get worse from here on out
etc.

Just some of the gems that have been thrown out there. :laugh:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He's already making 6.5, and he's gotten much better. Why do some people assume a defenceman's peak/prime years are the same as a forward?

I don't.

He's not the same player either, so I wouldn't say "better". Better is subjective. When I look at him, I see a guy that's sacrificed some physicality and offense to truly be a shut down dman while still putting up a decent amount of points. Is that worth more than a 55pt, 20G monster? Depends what the GM values more. I'll take the shutdown version of Dion and pay him accordingly.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well on the positive if a contract extension doesn't work out Phaneuf can go and injure the players on other teams in practice :laugh:.

Will be interesting to see how things unfold. He's the core of the defense no question about it, but how much money you throw at him will impact the ability to build a winning team.

At least if 7 is the starting point there is some hope to whittle it down a bit so its really a marginal increase in cap spending. In the end in between a rock and a hard place. He leaves and the defense is in a lot worse shape. Certainly has his flaws, but screwed without him out there helping to shut down top guys.

Oh well just keep negotiating through the season I guess. Have to whittle something down between the cap hit or the term.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
$7.14 for 7yrs?

That is a bargain.

Sign that deal RIGHT NOW, nonis.

If he's actually starting negotiations at 50/7, then I think we'll end up at/around 6.5-7 over 7-8 years. Either way, I'll be fine at the very least with whatever he re-signs at, seeing as where they're starting.

I'd be fine with giving him 54/8 (7*7 + 5), which brings his cap to 6.75, more than manageable for what he brings to the table. It'd be nice if he signed for less, but I'd be perfectly happy with that number.

I mean, I'd love if he signs for 50/8 (8*4 + 5*2 + 4*2), 6.25, but in his eyes that'd essentially be playing a year for free compared to where his camp is supposedly starting.

BayStreetBullies*

I don't.

He's not the same player either, so I wouldn't say "better". Better is subjective. When I look at him, I see a guy that's sacrificed some physicality and offense to truly be a shut down dman while still putting up a decent amount of points. Is that worth more than a 55pt, 20G monster? Depends what the GM values more. I'll take the shutdown version of Dion and pay him accordingly.

Except he hasn't just become a shutdown dman, he's more well rounded in terms of offence and defence. And I don't think he'd sacrificed physicality per se, it's not necessary for him to lay out a big hit every game. He's smarter about it now.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Letting Phaneuf walk will be akin to setting this team back 5 years. There is absolutely no one in the organization who can replace his minutes right now.

Reilly might reach that point some day but we will likely have to wait 3-4 years before he can be handed that opportunity.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

Eh... I don't know if he's an "elite defenseman". He doesn't really possess any skills that are elite, His offense is very good, as is his defence. Although he does suffer from severe mental lapses from time to time.

When I think of elite defenseman I think of Ryan Suter, Shea Weber, Duncan Keith, etc. I don't feel he's worth any more than he's making now. Actually, I would rather he'd take a paycut down in the 5.5-6M range is what I feel he's worth.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't.

Dion's offense hasn't suffered at all. He's still an elite offensive dman, like he's almost always been.

05-06: 49pts (14th)
06-07: 50pts (16th)
07-08: 60pts (5th)
08-09: 47pts (15th)
09-10: 32pts (42nd)
10-11: 30pts (43rd) - missed 16gms to injury
11-12: 44pts (12th)
12-13: 28pts (9th)

In fact, Phaneuf's last two seasons have been the 2nd and 3rd best offensive seasons of his career, compared to the rest of the league.

He was in the widerness a bit for a couple of years in the middle there, which led to him being traded and generally shat upon, but he's more than recovered from that little career blip.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
Eh... I don't know if he's an "elite defenseman". He doesn't really possess any skills that are elite, His offense is very good, as is his defence. Although he does suffer from severe mental lapses from time to time.

When I think of elite defenseman I think of Ryan Suter, Shea Weber, Duncan Keith, etc. I don't feel he's worth any more than he's making now. Actually, I would rather he'd take a paycut down in the 5.5-6M range is what I feel he's worth.

most D man (players, even forwards) suffer from mental lapses from time to time. In Phaneuf's case, it's just a bit more. But he's not going to take a paycut from what he's making now nor should he.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

You won't find two more similar players in hockey than Shea Weber and Dion Phaneuf.

Not even the twins are as similar.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Dion's offense hasn't suffered at all. He's still an elite offensive dman, like he's almost always been.

05-06: 49pts (14th)
06-07: 50pts (16th)
07-08: 60pts (5th)
08-09: 47pts (15th)
09-10: 32pts (42nd)
10-11: 30pts (43rd) - missed 16gms to injury
11-12: 44pts (12th)
12-13: 28pts (9th)

In fact, Phaneuf's last two seasons have been the 2nd and 3rd best offensive seasons of his career, compared to the rest of the league.

He was in the widerness a bit for a couple of years in the middle there, which led to him being traded and generally shat upon, but he's more than recovered from that little career blip.

I don't want to seem like I'm dumping on him, because I'm not. Just describing the change in style of play over time. He's very much still a top tier dman offensively, but he's not the open-ice hitting/jumping in the rush every other shift/shotgun from the PP point guy. He has still sacrificed offensive if you look at his first 3 years in Calgary which is what the contract was based off of. Even if it's 10-15%, it's still a significant change. Albiet, he's a smarter player overall. Picks his spots. So he'll still get paid, just not the 7m that Kypr is speculating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad