Speculation: Why Dion's Next Contract Will Be Cap Friendly

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
No he hasn't. While he has become more mature and more responsible over the years he still is and always will be far from smart or ,mind you, VERY smart. Dion has other strengths. I am not concerned about the cap hit. The length however will cost us flexibility down the road as I expect nothing less than max length with a full NTC. Nonis won't care much about that though. His focus is set for the now - means Dion will be extended to his terms.

You do realize before he was drafted he was praised for his hockey IQ more than anything. People in Toronto have come up with so many myths about him that are completely false. Yes he has become a very smart player. If you watch him this year he makes so many smart plays and has simpfiled his game.

ironrhcp

Jan 14, 2012
Markham Ont
I just don't see it. Why are we paying this guy that much. He eats minutes, thats it.....Most of the time he's a step or two behind.

:shakehead

Dude im so with you, I think toronto is blinded by the C. He is not a very good player at all, no wonder he is rated #1 overrated by the players year after year. They know because they play against him every night. He cant make a pass out for his life, Makes a big hit 1 out of every 5 games, skates like he's in quick sand. Of course he has the most points as a D on our team he is on every PP and has high minuets. Doesn't mean they are good minuets. Just spend a whole game and watch him, always one hand on the stick with little to no compete level :help:

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I have bashed Phaneuf in the past but he has played great this year so far.

5 years at 7million/year would be ok with me but I fear he's getting a lot more.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Dude im so with you, I think toronto is blinded by the C. He is not a very good player at all, no wonder he is rated #1 overrated by the players year after year. They know because they play against him every night. He cant make a pass out for his life, Makes a big hit 1 out of every 5 games, skates like he's in quick sand. Of course he has the most points as a D on our team he is on every PP and has high minuets. Doesn't mean they are good minuets. Just spend a whole game and watch him, always one hand on the stick with little to no compete level :help:

How about you actually look at some statistics and objectively watch the games this year and realize that hes shut down almost every single top line from teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Anaheim etc. No one is even talking about his points, he's just been a damn good defencemen.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area

April fools is a ways away. Nice try though.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
How about you actually look at some statistics and objectively watch the games this year and realize that hes shut down almost every single top line from teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Anaheim etc. No one is even talking about his points, he's just been a damn good defencemen.

Some just can't get past hits and points. They watch the game and comment on how he has a stiffness to his style, then don't notice that he's played half the game and hasn't been scored on.

He's the first choice out there for the PP, he's the first choice for the PK, he's the first choice for ES. No other player on the Leafs can say that.

Last edited:

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Some just can't get past hits and points. They watch the game and comment on how he has a stiffness to his style, then don't notice that he's played half the game and hasn't been scored on.

He's the first choice out there for the PP, he's the first choice for the PK, he's the first choice for ES. No other player on the Leafs can say that.

You don't have to be smooth skating and all over the ice like Gardiner and Rielly to be good. Some of the best defenceman all time are that way because they play a smart and simple game. I.E. Lidstrom

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
The only way I can spin 4x4 as being risky is that your risk the guy never wanting to talk to you again after you offer him that.

This is just the worst thing my eyes have ever read. How does he have a job?

He doesn't have one any more, does he? I thought he was replaced on AM 640 by something non-hockey related. That's how bad he was & how unsaleable his **** was.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We better do one of two things or I'll be really mad:

A) Sign Phaneuf.

B) If you don't sign Phaneuf...you're screwed. We can't make the playoffs unless Rielly takes a HUGE step forward so might as well tank it for McDavid :laugh: (I am 49% serious).

ALine

May 14, 2012

He only plays the most ES, PK and PP minutes of any one on the leafs. And is one of the most effective in the league at it.

Who would YOU propose we replace phaneuf and his minutes with?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I have bashed Phaneuf in the past but he has played great this year so far.

5 years at 7million/year would be ok with me but I fear he's getting a lot more.

That rings warning bells he is having his best year so far this season, coincidence he is in a contract year. Next year he goes back to his same oh same oh, so so self. He is way overated and does appear to be in slow motion all the time.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
You don't have to be smooth skating and all over the ice like Gardiner and Rielly to be good. Some of the best defenceman all time are that way because they play a smart and simple game. I.E. Lidstrom
Pronger was a pretty poor skater as well. I'd say Phaneuf is better than him in that regard.

You do realize before he was drafted he was praised for his hockey IQ more than anything. People in Toronto have come up with so many myths about him that are completely false. Yes he has become a very smart player. If you watch him this year he makes so many smart plays and has simpfiled his game.
I never understood that myth. It's so false.

Last edited:

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
1 assist and +2 so far tonight. I have been a huge fan of his since his time in red deer and have always followed him closely. I can safely say this is the best all around hockey he has ever played. If he keeps this up, which I don't see why he can't, I can see him making team Canada and challenging for the Norris.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
We will regret signing Phaneuf to anything over 5 years and $7,000,000 per. He is just not a Franchise Defense cornerstone.

5 Years at $5,750,000 is perfect for him.

This is my year!
Dec 19, 2011
The past
I am thinking similar value, but over eight years. There's no way he's agreeing to less years especially at a massive discount.

You could be right and that wouldn't be the end of the world, Dion is just entering his prime. Hopefully the cap keeps rising, making long term deals look like steals in a few seasons. Ink him Nonis.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
We will regret signing Phaneuf to anything over 5 years and $7,000,000 per. He is just not a Franchise Defense cornerstone.

5 Years at $5,750,000 is perfect for him.
Yeah, good luck getting him to take that kind of paycut.

If we get him around $6.75 that will be a great positive. Otherwise just gets what he gets. In the end he is a top pairing guy and he can provide good offense while playing against top lines. We can't replace that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad