WHy didn't we offer Roy a job when looking for a new HC?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
"Stuff de junior"...that cracks me up. Everytime there's a legal hit and somebody wants to fight 'cause they are not happy....that's "stuff de junior". When Julien whines and coaches whines about referees, that's "stuff de junior". Everybody, everywhere do their own version of "stuff de junior"...but for some odd reasons, only Roy is portrait as being a junior....At least, HE was humble enough to learn this job in the Junior. Not like others like Gretzky who thought they'd be great enough without it.

Roy wasn't doing his stuff de junior every single game. For 1 Roy who whines to the refs, there's another Roy who takes Cédric Desjardins by the shoulders during a timeout, speaks to him, and suddenly Desjardins was stopping everything. Most players that played for him, who doesn't play for him now have the utmost respect for him. And for whoever will say that they have no choice of saying that...I'll answer...why not? Can you just refuse to answer? Do refusing to answer or even saying that Roy didn't help you will shut down any chance you have in a NHL career? Is Roy already that powerful? Come on...

If he does that often, I'll come back here and say that he is going too far and has to refrain himself big time. But until proven he'd be like that everytime, I'm not going to portrait him as anything else than he is.....a players who won, who loves the competition, who is emotional and who was humble enough to learn his job at the Junior level.
WS with all respect I think you might be hitching your wagon to the wrong horses.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Did anyone watch the TSN top 10 coach freak outs? I think there were worse ones than Roy for sure and NONE of them to my memory/knowledge were called out/spoken out against like this one has been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6YDrvquvd0
Nine out of ten of those freakouts are against refs/umps. No reason to comment. One of them (my volume is turned off) looks like a coach going into another coach's post game interview and ambushing him. I'd be very surprised if other coaches didn't speak out on this.

And again look at the circumstances here. Rookie coach, first game, unprovoked, no real reason to do it, yapping at players, embarrasses a fellow coach. Not surprising other coaches are saying it's bush league... because it is.
Surely....but like the poster said, I wonder if it could not have been an option if there were really no interesting candidate. Would not have pleased the journalists...but maybe the people would have told them to go **** themselves....Not for the majority of anglo coaches but Muller? Maybe.
After the reaction to the last coach, I think it would've been the kiss of death. I don't think he was an option. I wouldn't have done it for a Kirk Muller. A Ken Hitchcock type vet (though I think he'd be wrong for this team) though, maybe. But even then...

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Bunch of crap. Get real. What are the players gonna say? My coach is an idiot?

I can't believe you buy this ****. Naive much? You just lost so much ground here. :shakehead

As a player we always rallied around our coach when he stood up for us. Be it yappin at the refs or opposition coaches or players. To us it was a sign that he stood with us and was willing to go into battle just as we were on the ice.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Always easier to crap on the young guy that starts than on the vets. There were other incidents in the NHL when coaches wanted to fight other coaches or were mad at the refs or at other players....First, were other coaches asked to comment on that? And if they were or were not, what were their opinion? 'Cause it's Roy, it's always bigger. Why the heck would you ask other coaches opinions in that particular case compared to other cases?

I'm obviously not talking about his present players...but players that he coached in Quebec.

Tell me that's not what you really think 'cause that's agenda like. So the guy waits so many years and finally takes his job that sends him in the NHL so he'd pull a stunt that would signify the end of his NHL career job? You really think other GM's would hire him after that? Do people think he is really that dumb?

Yes, perhaps he is, evidence so far has not disproved it.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
On top of everything else....that's also what I think. Send a message from the start. It has to be, 'cause if it's like that often, he's not going to stay much longer. If he's that stupid to continue like that....he'll be out of there. Just don't believe he is that dumb.

Nice try guys. Not buying what you're selling.

Scotty Bowman did not need to have girl tantrums to 'send a message from the start.' Why is it OK for Roy to do this? Please tell me.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Side-bet: By the time Bergevin's tenure matches Gauthier's - I'm willing to bet that Gauthier made better hockey moves and got this team more/further than Bergevin. Gauthier trades for Eller and signs Cole, Bergevin trades for Ryder and signs Briere.

Gauthier made a good decision to sign Cole. His bad decision was to give Cole the contract he did. Bergevin managed to fix that issue AND get us the better player production wise out of the deal. Seeing as Cole didn't want to be here, Bergevin did very well. Let alone the pick that came along with Ryder. So we rid ourselves of a bad contract for decent production for a year, but really just the cap space AND got a pick in return. The Briere signing, we need to wait. You're all so quick to condemn Bergevin now, but you have to give it a chance. Is that all you've got?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Did anyone watch the TSN top 10 coach freak outs? I think there were worse ones than Roy for sure and NONE of them to my memory/knowledge were called out/spoken out against like this one has been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6YDrvquvd0

The blind man impression is hilarious.

Bowman staring down Marc Crawford is crazy, how Crawford could continue to be angry while Scotty looked him calmly in the eye is priceless.

Interesting that Don Koharski and his son Jamie are both officials involved in the top 10 coaching meltdowns. Koharski Sr. used to drive me crazy and I'd have to put him above anyone else for frustrating calls.

A lot of these coaches are nobody's or journeyman "disciplinarians" like Keanan, and all of them have regrets about what they did. A good lesson in there for newbies like Roy.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Scotty Bowman did not need to have girl tantrums to 'send a message from the start.' Why is it OK for Roy to do this? Please tell me.

are you kidding me right now? Bowman didn't have tantrums? lol, priceless.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Pat Burns did...was he a worst coach? Michel Therrien did it, is he a worst coach for you? Others have done it...why is it OK for others to do it but not Roy, please tell me.

By the way....do we know exactly what Bowman was all about...did we have replays, and Twitter and whatever at that time so we know exactly what he's all about. Also, Bowman was known for humiliating his players...ask Mario Tremblay amongst a thousand of others players...do you think a coach like him would do great nowadays? I have no idea why people keep comparing different eras...

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Pat Burns did...was he a worst coach? Michel Therrien did it, is he a worst coach for you? Others have done it...why is it OK for others to do it but not Roy, please tell me.

By the way....do we know exactly what Bowman was all about...did we have replays, and Twitter and whatever at that time so we know exactly what he's all about. Also, Bowman was known for humiliating his players...ask Mario Tremblay amongst a thousand of others players...do you think a coach like him would do great nowadays? I have no idea why people keep comparing different eras...

Steve Shutt when asked in an interview about Bowman said He was the guy you hated 364 days a year and you loved him the day you got your cup ring.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
The blind man impression is hilarious.

Bowman staring down Marc Crawford is crazy, how Crawford could continue to be angry while Scotty looked him calmly in the eye is priceless.

Interesting that Don Koharski and his son Jamie are both officials involved in the top 10 coaching meltdowns. Koharski Sr. used to drive me crazy and I'd have to put him above anyone else for frustrating calls.

A lot of these coaches are nobody's or journeyman "disciplinarians" like Keanan, and all of them have regrets about what they did. A good lesson in there for newbies like Roy.

There are some good ones on there. The KHL where the coach attacked the fans with the stick lol.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Steve Shutt when asked in an interview about Bowman said He was the guy you hated 364 days a year and you loved him the day you got your cup ring.

Which makes the comparison even more laughable 'cause I keep reading "But his players won't like it....or he'll lose the players' respect...." They hated Bowman but they were winning. And even back in the days....it took a whole lot to get your coach's head. It mainly took Henri Richard to get Al McNeill out of there but a a McNeil that was clearly not established at the time.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
are you kidding me right now? Bowman didn't have tantrums? lol, priceless.
Bowman did not have meltdowns the way Roy has, first game, pushing the divider between benches at the opposing coach, come on, Bowman was a nut job to the players at times, but helped get us 5 cups in 7 yrs...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Coaches are going to freak out... that's just the nature of the game.

In this case though, there was no reason to freak out here and even less to keep hammering on that partition after it was clear that it was giving way. His first game and he acts like a clown.

It was totally unnecessary and way over the top. But that's Patrick Roy for you. And this is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was afraid of when we were talking about hiring him and he goes and does it.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Regrets sometimes are just BS. Everybody has some when they are out of that business. But when they are in, they have a job to do. And have their emotions to control as best as they can but it's not always easy. In retrospect, we all have regrets when all is said and done. So let Roy deal with his regrets once he's done.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Coaches are going to freak out... that's just the nature of the game.

In this case though, there was no reason to freak out here and even less to keep hammering on that partition after it was clear that it was giving way. His first game and he acts like a clown.

It was totally unnecessary and way over the top. But that's Patrick Roy for you. And this is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was afraid of when we were talking about hiring him and he goes and does it.

No reasons as if it's acceptable to let the opponents intentionnally severely injure your players? Or at least that's what he thought too. Besides, which fault was it that the goons were on the ice for the last 6 seconds? Boudreau did put his goons out so....was Roy suppose to do a Carlye out of himself and put his skills guys there to not start something but yet see his skilled players get jumped? The whole thing was started because of that scrum in the end. Boudreau started it. Roy finished it.

As far as your bolded comment, again, you can't be serious. So what you saw in that game was exactly the reason why you didn't want him? And what if he is enough of a good teacher of the game and what if his emotions makes his team play with emotion and maybe become a winning team....wouldn't that be enough? But no...he loses his temper sometimes so we don't want him? Give me 5 little crisis like that a year, a winning regular season and a great playoff performance and I'd take that for the next 3 years. Then....at year 4, if he's that bad and players want him to be replaced....so be it. Time for another one....as if we didn't do that before even with the most calm coaches we had...

I would have liked to see that scenario though.....Boston vs Habs.....and Julien badmouthing PK and Roy just snapping at Julien and the rest of the bruins players...Everybody here would raise a statue out of Roy for standing up and closing Julien big ****ing mouth. Julien and his diving press conference was one of the worst junior stuff ever and yet it worked. He discredited our entire organization. And here the only thing Therrine had to say is to ask Julien to mind his own business.....Sorry, that deserved way more.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
It's kinda like this - when there is more than one way to skin a cat and you put all your chips on the table, but you bet on the wrong horse because you were barking up the wrong tree.

:laugh: Am I supposed to also know what that means? It's okay Agnostic, thanks for trying....still have no idea in context what it means.

So I shouldn't be defending Roy 'cause he's not worth it? Is that it?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
:laugh: Am I supposed to also know what that means? It's okay Agnostic, thanks for trying....still have no idea in context what it means.

So I shouldn't be defending Roy 'cause he's not worth it? Is that it?

I think what bsl was saying is that you are choosing the wrong side of the argument. You chose the wrong (weaker) horse to pull your wagon.

What the idiom "hitch your wagon to the.." typically means is that you tie your own success to the success of someone or something else.

examples:

"Mobile app developers hitched their wagon to the iPhone 5"
"The Liberal Party of Canada hitched it's wagon to Justin Trudeau"

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
It's kinda like this - when there is more than one way to skin a cat and you put all your chips on the table, but you bet on the wrong horse because you were barking up the wrong tree.

:laugh:

You're becoming much more entertaining in your older age. Even your anti-Price rants are entering the realm of reality. Keep it up!

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I think what bsl was saying is that you are choosing the wrong side of the argument. You chose the wrong (weaker) horse to pull your wagon.

What the idiom "hitch your wagon to the.." typically means is that you tie your own success to the success of someone or something else.

examples:

"Mobile app developers hitched their wagon to the iPhone 5"
"The Liberal Party of Canada hitched it's wagon to Justin Trudeau"

Well everytime we have an opinion is because we believe in something. He doesn't believe in Roy. Until proven otherwise. What could be my weaker horse for him, is surely not my weaker horse for me.....Anyway, people....please keep it in English Franco oriented....thanks. ;) Thanks Agnostic for the lesson. But please...never use Justin Trudeau's name ever again....;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad