WHy didn't we offer Roy a job when looking for a new HC?

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Patrick Roy wasn't right as coach for this team because, well have you seen Anahiem-Colorado game? Being a Hab coach, not only do you represent the team, the city, but you also represent the french community. we aren't columbus, or florida, or tampa where no one cares. its how we present ourselves as an organization. classy organization because of our history and heritage. If Roy did that during Calgary's game, it would destroy our organization's image. Roy should never be coach of the Canadiens. Roy loses control over himself and that's not representation of our organization.

Cry me a river. It's not the 1940s anymore. This is why we suck we continue to have a stone age mentality. "Omg we can only hire a French Coach!" We limit ourselves from getting better. I wish we could have an owner or a gm who would tell them media and the people to shut the **** up.

I really wanted Roy as our coach. Hopefully, one day.....

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I think there are several factors here. First is the 1st year aspect in that I don't believe the Habs wanted to go with a fresh from Junior coach but rather a more experienced guy. Already had a brand new GM not the best idea to also have a brand new coach. And no matter how many experienced guys you surround them with, it's on him to make the calls and as mentioned, one new guy I think is enough.

Then there is the Patrick Roy in Montreal factor. Doesn't matter how much people want to try and ignore it, for the first long while the story would have been about him and him coaching in Montreal rather than the team on the ice. I'm not even talking about taking pressure off of players at the right times but rather the story being about him even if he doesn't want it to be about him.

And lastly I think the main reason is that based on reports, Roy was looking for a fair amount of control in the direction of the team that he went. In Colorado, for all intents purposes he is the GM and Coach whereas I don't think that was on the table in Montreal. Not saying he had to have that in order to go to a team but the belief is he did want more involvement in player management than just coach.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Cry me a river. It's not the 1940s anymore. This is why we suck we continue to have a stone age mentality. "Omg we can only hire a French Coach!" We limit ourselves from getting better. I wish we could have an owner or a gm who would tell them media and the people to shut the **** up.

Roy is French though... so...

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Easy now, a little early to get some swagger going...;)

I like their work ethic, something a demanding head coach expects. The players don't look at him and say 'what does he know, the guy's never been in our shoes' etc. When I see this Montreal team take nights off from MT, I think to myself...' imagine if they went into Roy's locker room after that performance'.?

The guy is a winner, I would always hire a winner over a coach who you already fired once. That's just sort of how we roll in our family business as well... try not to hire the same idiot twice.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
He was the only one I wanted. That was not the point I was making.

I understand your point but it just made no sense in that context, being that it was Roy. I do agree they need to put hockey ahead of politics, but not hiring Roy was obviously not political.

I too am tired of opportunities being missed, and players being dealt, because of "attitude" and other dumb things like that when they're young. Thing is though, Roy is a grown man who acts like a child. We have a lot of young impressionable kids on our team and I wouldn't want him around them. He's doing a great job in COL because they're the perfect fit for him, a team that has a lot of high end offensive threats.

Instead of trying to get them to play a solid defensive game, he's having them play an offensive game that uses speed and a good offense to limit chances, rather than a more defensive strategy that wouldn't benefit their team.

I don't believe Roy would have been a fit for Montreal. It isn't politics, it's just a matter of him being immature. In my books, it's OK for a kid to act like that, they'll grow up. So trading away quality players like Ribeiro for nothing is stupid. But when it comes to signing a coach it's a different story.

Lets give Therrien a proper defensive line up first before we go around assuming he was the wrong choice when compared with Roy. Its been 4 games and for all we know Colorado tanks.

Saintpatrick*

I would have loved Roy as coach. He's been great so far in Colorado but I'm not sure he would be here. The media circus would be a massive distraction for the players. As for hiring a non francophone head coach it's not going to happen...ever. This organization is a slave to political and media pressure which is partly responsible for our 20 year drought. As long as this organization bows down to such pressure we'll continue to see coach retreads and incompetent management.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
My point was, that Roy only puts himself into Winning positions. That's why he is not a Habs coach, he realixed it wasn't a winning situation for him, with the lack of prospects we had but he chose a place like Colorado because he seen they were poised to start winning.

Do you agree or disagree? That is what makes him a winner. THe question is, can you acknoledge perop'els stength and weakness or are you blind?

He's not our coach because we didn't hire him. If we offered him a contract, he'd be here imo.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I understand your point but it just made no sense in that context, being that it was Roy. I do agree they need to put hockey ahead of politics, but not hiring Roy was obviously not political.

He was responding to someone else. That quoted post is in his post. That poster was concerned the organization would essentially lose face if Roy was hired because of his outburst in the Colorado-Anaheim game, deeming it unclassy.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Same people wanting Roy are the same ones whining because we didn't hire Boucher, how did that work out?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Same people wanting Roy are the same ones whining because we didn't hire Boucher, how did that work out?

We hired Boucher in the past? Oh, you mean the terrible TBay Lighting team did...yes...of course, Boucher is the only reason why that team was so bad. I have no idea how people can seriously make those analysis.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

This is really why we sucked for the past 20 years? It had nothing to do with horrific drafting in the 90's? Or terrible GM's? Stupid trades and dumb signings? You mean hiring a young Julien who now happens to be one of the best coach in the league? Or a young Vigneault who was not that long ago also considered as one of the best? Strangely those 2 french punks are still in the league. Hey maybe not keeping them longer WAS the real problem....But thank god we had Cunneyworth and Gainey who proved how much better they were no matter the language they were speaking...How many anglos coaches are still in this league while Julien and Vigneault are? And you can also add Hartley as he is a franco as well. Only Quenneville, Ruff, Babcock, Sutter, Trotz, Tippett, Hitchcock and Tortorella have around as many games or some have more. Who else was availabale that we passed on? Remove Ruff, Babcock and Trotz who were with their team for so long. Did you really wanted Sutter, Hitchcock and Tortorella as your coach? So what's left that we "might" have passed on where Quenneville and Tippett. And I didn't check if they were available when we were looking for a coach. As of now, we did choose Therrien ahead of tons of guys like Eakins and Co....remains to be seen if it was a great choice. Yet...we also passed on Roy and Hartley who ALSO have to be considered just as the Mike Yeo and Co. But for some in this board, when you read them saying that they want "the best coach available no matter the language", that's total BS as you will often read from the same that if we go with a franco coach...it HAS TO MEAN that he was picked because of the language he speaks. Yes, it might be a tougher challenge. But if we prepare ourselves accordingly, we can still have some great candidates coming our way.

For 1 Paul McLean, how many Ralph Krueger was there for the past 20 years?

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
A couple of wins and a bad temper doesn't prove you're a good coach in the NHL. Roy still has a long way to go before proving that.

I'm not saying Therrien is the best, but what exactly tells us that Roy is any better than him?

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
This is really why we sucked for the past 20 years? It had nothing to do with horrific drafting in the 90's? Or terrible GM's? Stupid trades and dumb signings? You mean hiring a young Julien who now happens to be one of the best coach in the league? Or a young Vigneault who was not that long ago also considered as one of the best? Strangely those 2 french punks are still in the league. Hey maybe not keeping them longer WAS the real problem....But thank god we had Cunneyworth and Gainey who proved how much better they were no matter the language they were speaking...How many anglos coaches are still in this league while Julien and Vigneault are? And you can also add Hartley as he is a franco as well. Only Quenneville, Ruff, Babcock, Sutter, Trotz, Tippett, Hitchcock and Tortorella have around as many games or some have more. Who else was availabale that we passed on? Remove Ruff, Babcock and Trotz who were with their team for so long. Did you really wanted Sutter, Hitchcock and Tortorella as your coach? So what's left that we "might" have passed on where Quenneville and Tippett. And I didn't check if they were available when we were looking for a coach. As of now, we did choose Therrien ahead of tons of guys like Eakins and Co....remains to be seen if it was a great choice. Yet...we also passed on Roy and Hartley who ALSO have to be considered just as the Mike Yeo and Co. But for some in this board, when you read them saying that they want "the best coach available no matter the language", that's total BS as you will often read from the same that if we go with a franco coach...it HAS TO MEAN that he was picked because of the language he speaks. Yes, it might be a tougher challenge. But if we prepare ourselves accordingly, we can still have some great candidates coming our way.

For 1 Paul McLean, how many Ralph Krueger was there for the past 20 years?

Some good points.

I've heard first-hand from an NHL executive that Habs' coach hiring restriction is archaic.. He railed on and on about how hamstrung the club is....

I offered him a different view.
I suggested that the Habs were actually at an advantage. At least three quarters of the NHL coaches are usually from Canada....surely it's not a disadvantage to have one of the best French-Canadian coaches...the best French-Canadian candidate available at the time as a rule.

Habs may not lure the best coach every time the need comes up...but Julien, Boucher, Vigneault, Martin...even Burns was predominantly French even if his old man was Irish....none of them are/were crappy coaches.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Patrick Roy wasn't right as coach for this team because, well have you seen Anahiem-Colorado game? Being a Hab coach, not only do you represent the team, the city, but you also represent the french community. we aren't columbus, or florida, or tampa where no one cares. its how we present ourselves as an organization. classy organization because of our history and heritage. If Roy did that during Calgary's game, it would destroy our organization's image. Roy should never be coach of the Canadiens. Roy loses control over himself and that's not representation of our organization.

Yea ok, here is your glorious history

RichRiot.jpg

gaz_1_medium.jpg

F643F138438AB8B5BAA3E91DED2AC.jpg

4073-montreal-tramway-riot-1955-550x0.jpg

Talk about class.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Yea ok, here is your glorious history

RichRiot.jpg

gaz_1_medium.jpg

F643F138438AB8B5BAA3E91DED2AC.jpg

4073-montreal-tramway-riot-1955-550x0.jpg

Talk about class.

Don't forget the most recent riots, those were all class as well. Nothing says 'class' like leaving your franchise goalie in for 9 goals. or trading away a player between periods as well. That was AWESOME.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Some good points.

I've heard first-hand from an NHL executive that Habs' coach hiring restriction is archaic.. He railed on and on about how hamstrung the club is....

I offered him a different view.
I suggested that the Habs were actually at an advantage. At least three quarters of the NHL coaches are usually from Canada....surely it's not a disadvantage to have one of the best French-Canadian coaches...the best French-Canadian candidate available at the time as a rule.

Habs may not lure the best coach every time the need comes up...but Julien, Boucher, Vigneault, Martin...even Burns was predominantly French even if his old man was Irish....none of them are/were crappy coaches.

Absolutely. Other teams will not look at the franco coaches 'cause in the end, it's often about who you know and not what you know. So franco coaches also need to establish some kind of relations if they want to be chosen from other teams than Montreal. A guy like Benoit Groulx was starting to be established elsewhere than here but I don't think he gave himself any favor by going back to what he once was. And if rumor is true that he just want to stay put...well that's his choice. But he's not going to have a NHL career. Still, doesn't mean he's not a good coach. Not a fan of Pascal Vincent, but then he was able to get his name around so a NHL team pick him. But in the end, if the franco community for coaches happens to be the same hidden place to get our coaches, the same way Europe was for Detroit to get their players....I'm not sure why it's that much of a disadvantage. They do need to work harder.....but if they are ready to do it, so be it. Now..."working harder" to start with appointing the right guy in Hamilton....remains to be seen if that was a good choice....'Cause getting a good franco coach is always about "But what if we have to fire the one in place right now....who's next?" So, right now....who is next? Only guy available is Boucher. And to get the best we need to be in position to choose. I would have hope that the Habs hire Jean-François Houle from Blainville. Kid is ready to move on.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

that's kinda funny, you know that ?

Narbo

Jul 8, 2012
Halifax, NS
Roy is playing a very large leadership role in establishing a winning culture in Colorado, in addition to coaching. He also has a large say in personnel matters.

In Montreal, we already have a solid leadership group in place already doing the same thing. I'm only speculating, but seeing the input he had the Ramparts as owner, and now has with the Avalanche as a part of management, I don't think our current management structure could have given him the same kind autonomy as Patrick seems comfortable in.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
With 6 victories, Patrick Roy tied the record for most consecutive wins to start his career as a rookie head coach. The coach he is tied with? Mario Tremblay who debuted his career with the Montreal Canadiens in 1995 ! Oh the irony...this is going to be great!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->