WHy didn't we offer Roy a job when looking for a new HC?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Because he was a rookie coach and we (supposedly) had a bad history with rookies coaches.

Also, Michel Therrien was clearly the best choice available in any language. His Caractere and Respeck is beyond reproach.

Habsoil

Mar 24, 2012
Fort mac
Because he was a rookie coach and we (supposedly) had a bad history with rookies coaches.

Also, Michel Therrien was clearly the best choice available in any language. His Caractere and Respeck is beyond reproach.

If i give you my mailing address, could you please send me some of what your smoking?
MT round 2 is no better than round 1.
Same thing night after night, regardless of results.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Roy in Montreal as a head coach would be a ****ing joke. I'm glad him and his antics are far away.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'm sure if Bergevin knew he'd shake the glass and call out the other coach in his first game coaching in the NHL he would've hired him.

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
Its funny once but that show will get old quickly. I am not a MT fan at all but is Roy a better coach or just a guy that needs anger management?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Rookie GM with rookie HC (especially a high-profile one?)...
Nah....

King Niinimaa*

He wouldn't be a long-term solution due to his temper. But man, I ****ing love him!
His passion is beyond anyone. Roy is a winner, though some may not appreciate his any means necessary style.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Roy in Montreal would be a gong show. While potentially very entertaining it would not have lasted very long.

How could you know that?

He could have been a very good coach for us. There's no doubt he would have brought the "Roy Attitude" here but we know what he's like.

I think it's stupid to assume it wouldn't last long.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I think you've got this wrong. Molson did offer the job, but Roy refused. Something about having control of his own team, which would have never happened under a team managed by the Molson family, regardless of who is the GM.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
How could you know that?

He could have been a very good coach for us. There's no doubt he would have brought the "Roy Attitude" here but we know what he's like.

I think it's stupid to assume it wouldn't last long.

It would have been a gong show, you can bet the in Denver he will never have to answer " could you have stopped it" after a bad goal. Plus I am sure that his history that there would be people waiting with their hatchets drawn.

This is not to say Roy is a bad coach, the jury's still out. But his temperament and history and the powder keg that is Montreal hockey, its just not a good mix.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Because the boards are too solid in the Bell centre. Roy would have been on IR trying to move one of them.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yep... guys a headcase and his ego would've gotten in the way.

Goalie = headscase, par for the course
Coach= head case can be interesting under the right circumstances
Habs coach = head case, a train wreck waiting to happen.

Tortorella who some describe as a headcase wouldn't last in Montreal long even if he spoke French.
Some coaches have the right temperament, Roy ain't one of them.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Once again, people are mis-attributing Roy's cerebral side for his "fire". Watch the whole game. The Avs were a confident squad who knew what they were doing on the ice and they defeated the Ducks soundly. Yes, Roy has a good bunch of players, but he's the one providing them the directions to apply on the ice.

Therrien used to be a hot-head too, but it is his questionable roster decisions(Bouillon getting every game) and directions(penalty kill in not aggressive at all) that is the issue.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Because only in Montreal do they jump at the same coach 2x , no matter what the circumstances are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad