WHy didn't we offer Roy a job when looking for a new HC?

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I found that stuff kinds funny, would have loved it here, but his act would get old even faster in a place like Mtl.

But for me the biggest reason he wasn't hired, was because he didn't want to be just a coach, he would have wanted a lot of say in roster moves, heck in Col, he actually more power then their actually GM.

And Bergevin has no history so that could of become a big problem later on, unlike how Roy has a long history with Sakic.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
131266412815.gif

Ahah I am stealing this lol

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
The "it's only..." excuses were used up during pre-season. Given the injuries on this very average team, I think the anxiety and concern are warranted.

I don't think the Habs are a very good team, I'm just not ready to proclaim Roy the coach of the year or the Habs doomed because of one game.

And yes, pre-season was completely meaningless, unless you think Desharnais and Briere are our best players.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Patrick Roy wont be coaching in the NHL for very long if he keeps that crap up.

Glad he isn't in Montreal only to embarrass himself and this organization even more.

He can stay far far away for all I care........he acts like a spoiled little baby!!!!

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Patrick Roy wont be coaching in the NHL for very long if he keeps that crap up.

Glad he isn't in Montreal only to embarrass himself and this organization even more.

He can stay far far away for all I care........he acts like a spoiled little baby!!!!
Nathan Mckinnon got a knee-on-knee collision from Ben Lovejoy. Most coaches would be furious if one of their top prospects got injured, even if they wouldn't go as far as Roy in their conduct.

The fans would certainly be, just look at how Habs fans reacted after Pacioretty got slammed into the stanchion.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I don't think the Habs are a very good team, I'm just not ready to proclaim Roy the coach of the year or the Habs doomed because of one game.

And yes, pre-season was completely meaningless, unless you think Desharnais and Briere are our best players.

I don't think Roy is a good or bad NHL coach - but we saw this exact same Therrien last year. Some people were happy with him, some weren't. I was not. I wasn't happen by game 2, I wasn't happy by game 22 and I certainly wasn't happy by game 52.

The PK sucks. The tactics are juvenile and overly simple and his man-management is infuriating. Subban should play more PK time than Diaz and Bouillon COMBINED.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
Better question would be--Why would we offer him a job?? Im not convinced MT was the answer and honestly I was and will hope that eventually Capt Kirk would be given a shot. I think he could be a great fit except for...........

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I don't think Roy is a good or bad NHL coach - but we saw this exact same Therrien last year. Some people were happy with him, some weren't. I was not. I wasn't happen by game 2, I wasn't happy by game 22 and I certainly wasn't happy by game 52.

The PK sucks. The tactics are juvenile and overly simple and his man-management is infuriating. Subban should play more PK time than Diaz and Bouillon COMBINED.

I didn't want Therrien, but admittedly we were in a tough position since the options with experience were limited and the politics of the situation made the options even more limited. At least Bergevin didn't hire Crawford.

MT hasn't been awful, but he can't adjust and his assistants or whoever is writing the PK and PP schemes is a terrible tactician. Therrien is a better coach than I remember him as, but he has little creativity.

Roy was the high risk high reward option, but he also wanted to be GM. Not that I love Bergevin but..no thanks there.

Wasn't there at least some middle ground between a dinosaur and an egomaniac control freak? There has to be some other options out there, even limited to Francophones.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
According to TSN, Ken Hitchcock came out publicly against Roy's actions today (something I've never seen from an NHL coach do to another coach before) and said it was something that wasn't fitting for the NHL. Barry Trotz also came out with this statement: 'Nashville Coach Barry Trotz, whose team plays Roy’s on Friday, said, “There’s no room for coaches yelling at opposition players in this league. That’s not professional.… We’re the classiest league in the world and we should act that way".'

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
THE TRUTH

Why Patrick Roy isn't our Head Coach by macavoy

KISS

Keep It Simple Stupid

Patrick Roy is a winner, he wants to win, he wants to win now. He isn't a long term kind of guy, that's why he told Ronald Corey to suck it, he seen the writing on the wall. He wanted to win, he lost his entire childhood in hockey.

He had no chance of succeeding in Montreal, they didn't have the prospects or talent for him to win. In Colorado, he has a team full of young kids ready to burst. He isn't stupid, he picks his spots where he can win.

He was never going to a team like Buffalo or Florida, it was always a team like Colorado or Edmonton, where they just need that extra direction and passion to get them over the top.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Wasn't there at least some middle ground between a dinosaur and an egomaniac control freak? There has to be some other options out there, even limited to Francophones.

If it came down to it - I would choose the Quebecker over the non-Quebecker every time. But it never gets down to it, there are clearly better players than the Quebeckers we're fielding, and clearly better coaches. It's bad politics and it hurts us.

If ticket prices were as traditional as this inbred, half-baked policy it would be something but at 10$ a beer and 300$ a game I want to see the best possible team on the ice.

At the very least we have Guy Boucher chomping at the bit to return, and he's going to be in a better way here than he was in that gongshow in Tampa.

Side-bet: By the time Bergevin's tenure matches Gauthier's - I'm willing to bet that Gauthier made better hockey moves and got this team more/further than Bergevin. Gauthier trades for Eller and signs Cole, Bergevin trades for Ryder and signs Briere.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Better question would be--Why would we offer him a job?? Im not convinced MT was the answer and honestly I was and will hope that eventually Capt Kirk would be given a shot. I think he could be a great fit except for...........

I would love this he would be a great HC here. Probem is dare I say it he isn't home grown shall we say.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
The only way I would want Roy as the head coach is if McGuire is the guy who hires him.
Then we can honestly say: "welcome to the biggest circus in the world"

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
Montreal has had plenty of rookie coaches learn the ropes with us and leave to bigger and better things. Let Roy learn with the Avs, if he does well...who knows, in the future he may come to the Habs.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
I think you've got this wrong. Molson did offer the job, but Roy refused. Something about having control of his own team, which would have never happened under a team managed by the Molson family, regardless of who is the GM.

Bingo!

I don't think Roy would have been a good coach long term but in the short term, he's a win at all costs kind of guy. If that means benching Desharnais after a bad game against the wishes of the Molson family, I'm sure he would have done it. That is why Roy is the Coach we need when we are a true contender and we need a coach that will get the most out of his players for one year.

Ideally, Therrien or whoever is coaching in the will get fired midway through the 2014-2015 season and Roy will come in and coach us to a Stanley Cup.

Oh and he would get fired midway through the next season regardless ...

Last edited:

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
I wouldn't mind Roy behind the bench but it would be a disaster waiting to happen. He lost his cool in his first NHL game as a head coach, granted he had a valid reason to do so. In Montreal, had he done that, every media outlet (and there are TONS) would have a two page piece on the incident and whether Roy made the right decision to take the job/Bergevin to give the job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad