WHy didn't we offer Roy a job when looking for a new HC?

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I wouldn't put it past him. The guy is a champion. I would actually love to see him be successful. But I think he is a far better fit in that environment.

I agree, and he knew better too. There is a reason why he isn't our coach, he isn't dumb, we weren't the right market for him and vice versa.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well with all that talent, they finished dead last, last year.
They didn't have Mackinnon who is an awesome talent. And you said five years not this year...

Somehow I have a feeling EJ will have his best career year. MD and MacK probably won't fair too bad either.

But the Avs being contenders will largely be, because Patrick brought them together unlike the same awesome core they had last year that cared more about a vegas off season trip.

Night and Day.
So then Roy could make the Flames contenders this year then? Or in five years? Really?

He must be one hell of a coach then.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
They didn't have Mackinnon who is an awesome talent. And you said five years not this year...

So then Roy could make the Flames contenders this year then? Or in five years? Really?

He must be one hell of a coach then.

wow

You have impressed me with who desparate you are to try and disprove a point.

I'm impressed with extreme you can take a hypothethical argument.

THe flames have **** for prospects, the Avs have had a solid crop for a long time ,the fact that you can't see the difference is well, on you.

gjge

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
My point was, that Roy only puts himself into Winning positions. That's why he is not a Habs coach, he realixed it wasn't a winning situation for him, with the lack of prospects we had but he chose a place like Colorado because he seen they were poised to start winning.

Do you agree or disagree? That is what makes him a winner. THe question is, can you acknoledge perop'els stength and weakness or are you blind?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
wow

You have impressed me with who desparate you are to try and disprove a point.

I'm impressed with extreme you can take a hypothethical argument.

THe flames have **** for prospects, the Avs have had a solid crop for a long time ,the fact that you can't see the difference is well, on you.

gjge
Well explain to me how you come to the conclusion that it will be largely Roy and not the stacked group of prospects that he's got? Because the Avs are where Chicago were about six years ago with top prospects in their lineup.

As for taking the 'extreme', dude it's a perfectly fair argument to make. You're sitting there saying that they'll be contenders largely because of Roy... well, would the same be said for a team that isn't stacked with prospects the way the Avs are? I'm not being unfair here in asking you that question, I'm simply putting it in stark terms to demonstrate the weakness in your argument.

How much of it would be coaching vs talent? What justifies you crediting this to Roy when he's only coached one NHL game?

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
My point was, that Roy only puts himself into Winning positions. That's why he is not a Habs coach, he realixed it wasn't a winning situation for him, with the lack of prospects we had but he chose a place like Colorado because he seen they were poised to start winning.

I think its a better enivronment for him regardless of how good the team is. It's a smaller market. Better place for a first time NHL coach to start out, for one thing. And Roy is a really passionate person who is sometimes impulsive and stubborn. I don't think all the BS that surrounds the Habs would be good for him at all.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well from that perspective I'd agree... at least in so far as taking over in Colorado. That's a very good team to sign up for right now.
Do you agree or disagree? That is what makes him a winner. THe question is, can you acknoledge perop'els stength and weakness or are you blind
Well, if I agree that he was smart for going to Colorado (and I do) how does this make him a good coach and how would this benefit us? I don't see how choosing a stacked team to go to makes him a better choice than other guys out there.

And Colorado needs the publicity (don't think that this had nothing to do with their decision as they have Sakic in the fold too) so he fits there very nicely from that perspective.

That doesn't make him a good coach though.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Well from that perspective I'd agree... at least in so far as taking over in Colorado. That's a very good team to sign up for right now.

Well, if I agree that he was smart for going to Colorado (and I do) how does this make him a good coach and how would this benefit us? I don't see how choosing a stacked team to go to makes him a better choice than other guys out there.

And Colorado needs the publicity (don't think that this had nothing to do with their decision as they have Sakic in the fold too) so he fits there very nicely from that perspective.

That doesn't make him a good coach though.

What makes him a good choice is how he gets his players to support him.

When he was in the Memorial Cup, he took the pressure off of his goalie and put the spotlight on him. He knew how to do it. He ended up winning against one of the people I consider one of the best player coaches who is extremely good at motivating his players.

Yea what he did was a gong show but you know what, McKinnon and Duchene will never forget how he went to battle for his team, how he didn't care about a 10k fine, he went to the mat for them. That team needed that.

That is what will separate Colorado from Edmonton in the next 2-3 years. Edmonton has had a longer pipeline of better prospects but Colorado will be more succesful.

There has never been a multi millionaire / superstar to spend 8 years in the minor league, riding busses to learn the trade. He loves the game that much, he is a student. I honestly don't see him failing as a NHL coach. The amount of time he put in studying game tapes as a rookie tells you about his character.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What makes him a good choice is how he gets his players to support him.

When he was in the Memorial Cup, he took the pressure off of his goalie and put the spotlight on him. He knew how to do it. He ended up winning against one of the people I consider one of the best player coaches who is extremely good at motivating his players.
Didn't Roy's stacked team lose after taking a 3-0 series lead?
Yea what he did was a gong show but you know what, McKinnon and Duchene will never forget how he went to battle for his team, how he didn't care about a 10k fine, he went to the mat for them. That team needed that.
They did? Really?

'Cause I don't think that this was all that big a deal. Mackinnon himself said that he's used to it and it happened all the time in junior. So why would this be worth freaking out over?

They'll never forget it? Well maybe. But probably not for the reasons that you're suggesting.

That is what will separate Colorado from Edmonton in the next 2-3 years. Edmonton has had a longer pipeline of better prospects but Colorado will be more succesful.
What will separate Edmonton from everyone will be their defense. If they don't get one they aren't going anywhere. And this wouldn't change if Roy was their coach either.
There has never been a multi millionaire / superstar to spend 8 years in the minor league, riding busses to learn the trade. He loves the game that much, he is a student. I honestly don't see him failing as a NHL coach. The amount of time he put in studying game tapes as a rookie tells you about his character.
How about the way he conducted himself while he was coaching down there? Doesn't that reveal something about his character too?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

They did? Really?

'Cause I don't think that this was all that big a deal. Mackinnon himself said that he's used to it and it happened all the time in junior. So why would this be worth freaking out over?

They'll never forget it? Well maybe. But probably not for the reasons that you're suggesting.

What will separate Edmonton from everyone will be their defense. If they don't get one they aren't going anywhere. And this wouldn't change if Roy was their coach either.

How about the way he conducted himself while he was coaching down there? Doesn't that reveal something about his character too?

In all fairness, Roy is one of the best pure competitors that ever played for the Habs, never mind his generational skill level.

But he is also kind of a simple man; blue collar all the way, while also being an incredible motivator with a pretty good coaching record in junior and a former Hab superstar.

I'm sure MB realized all this, and this is why he got consideration. Ultimately, I believe it was his unswerving need for additional responsibilities that overlapped with Bergevin's that made it all fall through.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx

They did? Really?

Idk, all I know, I chose to surround myself with positivism instead of all your negativity.

Do whatever you want and I will do what I want, I'm happy. At the end of the day, I bet I have my wagon hitched to a winner. What do you do, complain about how this team isn't good enough. Well keep complaining, it don't bother me. I'll keep focussin g on winning. We will see who is happier in life.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Idk, all I know, I chose to surround myself with positivism instead of all your negativity.

Do whatever you want and I will do what I want, I'm happy. At the end of the day, I bet I have my wagon hitched to a winner. What do you do, complain about how this team isn't good enough. Well keep complaining, it don't bother me. I'll keep focussin g on winning. We will see who is happier in life.
As I said man, he could be great. I just don't believe in him. You do? That's fine, you could very well be right.

As for our personal lives well... enjoy your time at the Cool Kid Club tonight. I'm just going to sit here in my dark room where nobody loves me and drink my flat root beer.
In all fairness, Roy is one of the best pure competitors that ever played for the Habs, never mind his generational skill level.

But he is also kind of a simple man; blue collar all the way, while also being an incredible motivator with a pretty good coaching record in junior and a former Hab superstar.
Weren't those Rampart teams stacked though? Forgive me as I'm not as familiar with the Q as most but I read on more than one occassion that it was a team that had competitive advantages over other clubs.
I'm sure MB realized all this, and this is why he got consideration. Ultimately, I believe it was his unswerving need for additional responsibilities that overlapped with Bergevin's that made it all fall through.
The need for additional responsibilities also points to the sign of an ego doesn't it?

Last edited:

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Roy is already making an impact just like he did in the Q winning a Memorial Cup. It will not always be pretty (Av's D look very bad) but he will take them in the right direction. And for all the fuss about his temper, people forget that Roy is a very smart and calculating man so for all the passion he seems to demonstrate, there is also a cerebral element to it and that is the reason why I believe he will be successful in the NHL.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Roy was not the best coach in the Q, even himself said it.

He chose the Avalanche because he knew the organisation and he wanted to be GM at the dame time, something Molson AND Savard didn't want when they looked for the GM position. Hence the fact that Bergevin did not really consider Roy when came time to interview the candidates.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

His team wasn't stacked. Roy never had stacked teams in juniors. He had good teams, but not stacked like Halifax and Saint John of the last 3 years. He never wanted to make the sacrifices and finish low a couple of years so he never had the tools to stack a team. In his first year, he was lucky to have an exceptional player. You don't get those very often.

BTW, the year he lost a series he lead 3-0, injuries/illness caused the downfall. It's not like they were dominating during the 3 first games.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
His fellow QMJHL coaches voted him 3rd best behind Groulx and Tourigny just last year. They must know something that a lot of people here don't...

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
Frankly, i think Michel Therrien was the right man for the job. His track record of developping young player is impressive. Just look how are young players are performing (Galagher, Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Subban) Therrien is doing a great job.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Frankly, i think Michel Therrien was the right man for the job. His track record of developping young player is impressive. Just look how are young players are performing (Galagher, Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Subban) Therrien is doing a great job.

Yeah... I also like Therrien with the young guys so far.

I believe it wasn't a good match with Roy last year but I also believe he'll do a really good job with the Avs!

Anyway, one thing's for sure, Roy and Therrien will both get fired sooner or later!

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Patrick Roy wasn't right as coach for this team because, well have you seen Anahiem-Colorado game? Being a Hab coach, not only do you represent the team, the city, but you also represent the french community. we aren't columbus, or florida, or tampa where no one cares. its how we present ourselves as an organization. classy organization because of our history and heritage. If Roy did that during Calgary's game, it would destroy our organization's image. Roy should never be coach of the Canadiens. Roy loses control over himself and that's not representation of our organization.

warsawyak

Sep 17, 2002
Warsaw, PL
In a freak turn of events, in 2015 the Colorado Avalanche, after winning two Stanley Cups in a row, will trade their head coach Patrick Roy to Montreal Canadiens, and then he will lead his new team to two another Stanley Cups before retiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00