OT: Why did you choosed to subscribe to the forum? (HFBoards Appreciation Thread)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
As far as I'm concerned, a mix of a desire to talk hockey with a lot of people from different places, and a way to improve my english. Happy to have done so...just a great board to be a member of. Not a perfect board...but not sure who is perfect in this world....

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Message boards have been a thing for me since the mid-90s. In fact, I was (technically, still am) the Admin of an American film-review site where I hung out with a group of older, brilliant, talented people, many of whom were professionally involved in the entertainment biz. The writing standard was really high and measuring myself against so many accomplished dudes improved my own writing chops. I was online with them on 9/11, getting firsthand reports from New York from the locals I knew. We actually had meetups in Manhattan, and I played host to a few of them who visited Montreal.

But by the late 2000s my film group was shrinking and my movie-going was drying up, along with my participation on that site. My wife became a huge hockey fan, weekends went from dinner & movie to bar & hockey game. Suddenly I had time (and permission) to rediscover my love for the Habs. So, naturally, I needed a message board. Googled "hockey message board" and voila -- found my latest message-board addiction.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh grow a sense of humor will ya

You were here way before we intended to draft Kotka, anyway.

I do have a sense of humor with posters who are respectful ;) What does me being here a few years before Kotkaniemi have anything to do with one example of my insider info? If I was not on this site for example, I might of not known about Kotkaniemi as early as I did by reading several reports on him from posters on these boards. Pretty sure you understand now right?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I do have a sense of humor with posters who are respectful ;) What does me being here a few years before Kotkaniemi have anything to do with one example of my insider info? If I was not on this site for example, I might of not known about Kotkaniemi as early as I did by reading several reports on him from posters on these boards. Pretty sure you understand now right?
You're also known to see disrespect where there isn't. to play the victim. To exagerate and confabulate. To cherry pick.

Realize this: there's no one going around the board claiming they are insiders, whether they are or not, except for you.

That's what's funny

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You're also known to see disrespect where there isn't. to play the victim. To exagerate and confabulate. To cherry pick.

Realize this: there's no one going around the board claiming they are insiders, whether they are or not, except for you.

That's what's funny

You are taking the word I used "insider" way to seriously. What's funny is you continue to choose not to understand after I clarify it. It's childish to continue your stance where you misunderstood on purpose. Are you strung out today or something? :sarcasm:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You are taking the word I used "insider" way to seriously. What's funny is you continue to choose not to understand after I clarify it. It's childish to continue your stance where you misunderstood on purpose. Are you strung out today or something? :sarcasm:

Since when is humor viewed as being "way too serious"?

I forgot to add, you're also known for projecting, which you just did there.

You're taking this way too seriously.

You could've just laugh it off, and let us be on our merry way.

Have a nice day, T.

Reactions: Peanut

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Since when is humor viewed as being "way too serious"?

I forgot to add, you're also known for projecting, which you just did there.

You're taking this way too seriously.

You could've just laugh it off, and let us be on our merry way.

Have a nice day, T.

Like I said, I have a sense of humor with those who are respectful. You post was not meant to be a joke. It was an attack on the word "insider" and a attempt to belittle. I called you out for it and now your are back stepping. Sorry, You don't deserve a pass from me, not in this case.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Like I said, I have a sense of humor with those who are respectful. You post was not meant to be a joke. It was an attack on the word "insider" and a attempt to belittle. I called you out for it and now your are back stepping. Sorry, You don't deserve a pass from me, not in this case.

Im not backpeddling. I explained my intentions. Whether you except it for what it is all depends on your level of objectivity and your maturity.

And climb down that pedestal, you're not rustling any feathers here.

Reactions: Peanut

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Im not backpeddling. I explained my intentions. Whether you except it for what it is all depends on your level of objectivity and your maturity.

And climb down that pedestal, you're not rustling any feathers here.

Where is your sense of humor? It was a joke... you clearly should of noticed this :sarcasm:. I guess I should of put a huge space in between for clarity. haha

Thanks for talking about nothing today Ozymandias. For the record, your focus off conversation was not the reason why I joined the site (Actually the opposite).

You didn't make my "insider" poster list BTW. :biglaugh:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I was on the RDS forums and they let them die in favor of their new **** called "Le grand club" IIRC. it was sheit.

Still remembers some posters like Bleuetbio (also here), Marie Petrov , Keyzer_Soze.

I wasn't on the RDS forums but I spent way too much time on le Grand Club. I made a few blogs about Price vs Halak saying that Price would have a better career than Halak and got a lot of heat from fans. In the end, I was right. Anyway, I'm surprised that thing still exists as so few people still post over there

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I posted on Fanhome/Forum Ice for more years than I can remember (well over a decade at least) then a few months ago out of the blue I get a 10 day ban, not because I broke any rules, but merely because something I wrote rubbed a thin-skinned, power-tripping moderator the wrong way. When I realized that no other site mods were going to do anything about it, I decided never to go back. F*** em. They don't even realize that they are hemorrhaging posters left and right while acquiring next to no new members to replace them. In the off-season, the site is a mausoleum with hardly any activity to speak of.

The day I decided to leave that site, I googled this one. It's much more active, even in the off-season, than my former internet "home". I lurked on the old site on draft day just to compare the traffic with what we had going on here and it was no comparison. Our threads on each player selected by the Habs were exponentially larger in total posts than the other site. When their site got to 3 pages on the Kotkaniemi pick, the same thread in this place was already well into the double digits.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I posted on Fanhome/Forum Ice for more years than I can remember (well over a decade at least) then a few months ago out of the blue I get a 10 day ban, not because I broke any rules, but merely because something I wrote rubbed a thin-skinned, power-tripping moderator the wrong way. When I realized that no other site mods were going to do anything about it, I decided never to go back. F*** em. They don't even realize that they are hemorrhaging posters left and right while acquiring next to no new members to replace them. In the off-season, the site is a mausoleum with hardly any activity to speak of.

The day I decided to leave that site, I googled this one. It's much more active, even in the off-season, than my former internet "home". I lurked on the old site on draft day just to compare the traffic with what we had going on here and it was no comparison. Our threads on each player selected by the Habs were exponentially larger in total posts than the other site. When their site got to 3 pages on the Kotkaniemi pick, the same thread in this place was already well into the double digits.

I've been using the default 25 posts per page ever since I joined. It's crazy the pace threads ramp up compared to the past, compared to 11 years ago.

Some thread subjects have gone up 10k comments over less than a few months, even a few weeks. The Subban vs Weber debate raged on to several 10k comments.

Funny enough, HF seems to be often the place to go to when people get fed up of other forums, but the difference is that most stay here or eventually come back here.

We've gained more good users like yourself, than we've lost over the last decade.

Reactions: dinodebino

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Any sort of news generally gets posted here within 2 minutes of it breaking so it's the first place I would go to find things out. Great place to find out some info that you might not have thought about or heard about otherwise. I've had an account for years but didn't realize it until I tried making one a couple of years ago and my email was taken. So my sign up date is probably about 7 years before I even made a post.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Don't remember why exactly. I think I may have been reading the thread about the guy who called in to the radio and wanted everyone fired for having hamrlik on the ice in a playoff game lol. Used to lurk a lot when I was in high school though to read about prospects.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Any sort of news generally gets posted here within 2 minutes of it breaking so it's the first place I would go to find things out. Great place to find out some info that you might not have thought about or heard about otherwise. I've had an account for years but didn't realize it until I tried making one a couple of years ago and my email was taken. So my sign up date is probably about 7 years before I even made a post.
That's a factor I never expected -- getting my breaking news from a message board. Whatever happens in the hockey world pops up on HF immediately. My wife the hockey nut calls about a trade or rumour and I always respond, "Yeah, already read about it".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad