OT: Why did you choosed to subscribe to the forum? (HFBoards Appreciation Thread)

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Because the RDS forum were ****, with a majority of annoyingly stupid cornfed backwater hicks, back around 07.

I had been coming over here since around 2005 as a lurker. Things degenerated with a Pejorative Slur who seemed to work for RDS (his flamming was never deleted) and he actually knew my family name, which he should never have admitted to because it proved he looked up my (supposedly secured) personal info on the site. I went bonkers after that and got happily banned. Went and opened my HF account on the same day.

The lack of professionalism at RDS is something that seems prevelant through0ut the company.

The move was akin to living in the slums of Dehli and then end-up in a palace in Belize

Oh yeah, and I have to add, the arguments I was having were over the direction the team was on, which completely vindicated me in the following season. It was also just two weeks before we had one of the best drafts in 3 decades. I was rigtht. Bouya

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I was an avid reader of @Whitesnake's camp reports years before I actually subscribed myself, it was the main thing that made me read the forum initially. I used to look forward to them every summer, there really wasn't a lot of first hand reports 12+ years ago. I've always been draft and prospect crazy so it was only a matter of time before I joined directly I guess :laugh:

Last edited:

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Internet searching Habs prospects circa 2002 lead me here. That is all.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I grew tired of talking hockey with only French people who couldn't see pass their own views and media. Like @Cobra Commander said, there are literally people around the World and some attend games of our prospects. So you can read their views/takes about players something that few quebecers do. It's also a nice way to practice my English I guess.

I first joined in for hockey and prospects in general but I wasn't posting much.
I came back once the Impact joined the MLS and some mods decided to make the thread sticky.
I stayed for hockey and Impact... and to laugh at management of all Montreal pro Men teams

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I grew tired of talking hockey with only French people who couldn't see pass their own views and media. Like @Cobra Commander said, there are literally people around the World and some attend games of our prospects. So you can read their views/takes about players something that few quebecers do. It's also a nice way to practice my English I guess.

I first joined in for hockey and prospects in general but I wasn't posting much.
I came back once the Impact joined the MLS and some mods decided to make the thread sticky.
I stayed for hockey and Impact... and to laugh at management of all Montreal pro Men teams

RDS was the worst.

Facebook comments these days sound a lot like the RDS days

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I was already a reader of alt.sports.hockey.nhl.mtl-canadiens for many years when someone mentioned HFBoards as an alternative discussion forum because Usenet was dying. So I started checking it out for a few years before a post prompted me to reply so I signed up, and was immediately issued a warning for an infraction, I think they called it trolling, but I think it's cause I was on the Bruins board at the time and thought I was still on Usenet, where basically anything goes.

But I've gotten so familiar with the posters here and even though it's censured, it's still the best place to talk about hockey and whatever other subject comes up and, I haven't strayed from the Habs group ever since.:laugh:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It was the first hockey forum I came across in the mid 2000’s. I never posted at first, I just found it really intriguing to read as it gave me an idea of what other fans of all teams were thinking outside of the same people I talked in my life outside of the internet.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
I really don't remember why I subscribed to this forum. But like others, I'm guessing I found this website to be a lot more informative than the RDS one, with a plethora of level-headed and knowledgeable posters.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It was 18 years ago. It was a different landscape in the internet world back then.

I liked the idea of being able to find info on our prospects, and I think this was the most comprehensive source available.

To give you an idea of how long ago this was, guys like Markov, and ribeiro were listed as prospects.

Back when the HF site was around, I believe markov was the only Habs player to ever receieve a "9.0" rating. Looking back, his career probably ended up being an 8.5, anyways, I digress.

To be fair though, this was back before the letter system was introduced, which made the number ratings more conservative.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Best place to learn more about hockey/players/prospects.
Unfortunately, it comes with a huge amount of toxicity

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
I was on the Sportsnet forums and liked it alot.. Was lurking here for a few years and suddenly Sportsnet closed their forum. I endup here . Or something like that..

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad