OT: Why did you choosed to subscribe to the forum? (HFBoards Appreciation Thread)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I remember when I began posting here, it was rough for newcomers all right.
I preferred it back then. More knowledgeable posters, as opposed today's collection of social media spammers. I rarely post anymore because intelligent discussion is like the white whale. It honestly feels like trying to discuss trigonometry with a mob who have never advanced past basic arithmetic. Usually devolves into me being burned at the stake for being a heretic. All that being said I understand why the boards had to change, I just miss the support of the people who left when the stampeding sheep overwhelmed these boards.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I got sick and tired of the continual on-going member to member insults, nastiness, and belittling over at CalgaryPuck.
I left voluntarily, as many others have.

Reactions: PhysicX

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I wanted someone to talk with.

I found my friends insufficiently versed or interested in the Habs anywhere close to what I was. And the media not so insightful. So I went looking.

I lurked for a bit just enjoying the countless knowledgeable posters. Its also incredible having posters attending camps/ games from a variety of leagues and in different countries that keep a constant flow of info coming in about players. Quite a network.

Lol. I got an infraction real fast though because I was trying to post something incorrectly and Overlord pulled out the red card.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I was on usenet and the old AOL Montreal forum back in the 90's.. wow. Used to write for HF back in their early early days, and the message board was a flat based txt forum where no registration was necessary. It was flooded with spam, finally convinced the old owners to go to a registered forum. The old owners got in trouble with their magazine and subscriptions, it wasn't pretty.

I do not see many of the original people around these days, some of the old mods (2002-2008) drove them all away.

Yeah I remember that period. You would write one measly phrase in French and you would get instabanned. I got that a couple of times.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I don't exactly remember the reason, been a while, I think I stumbled upon that forum because someone mentioned it on RDS talkbacks, or perhaps even mIRC back in the days... subscribed in 2001, re-subscribed in 2002 after the board crash, and I come here everyday since then. Don't talk much, prefer to read, and there are loads of knowledgeable posters here, always have been, and always will be. Some leave, new ones emerge, cycles. Pretty sure some older ones who don't write anymore still lurk around.

Reactions: Runner77

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
I remember when I began posting here, it was rough for newcomers all right.

Yup thankfully the "old man yelling at clouds" finally slowly faded away. You will still get the occasionally spouting intangibles and such but the forum has evolved quite a bit compared to how I remember it.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
As a long time draft junkie, I believe I started lurking here from time to time around 2003. I remember following the draft thread when we took Kostitsyn #10 overall. I was hoping for Carter or Parise but was fine with the pick at the time. RLR was big on AK46.

There were some great posters here in the early days (whatever happened to McPhee and Blind Gardien?) and it was a positive time to be a Habs fan. We were finally a couple of years removed from the disastrous Houle era and were in the process of restocking the empty prospect cupboards that we had after horrible drafts from mid-80's (lots of WHL busts) to early in this century. Hope had been restored. I especially enjoyed reading the first hand observations from posters who attended Habs prospect camps and rookie tournaments.

I don't come here as frequently as I used to. The forum seemed to attract more negative posters after the Habs 100th anniversary and other priorities in my life don't allow me as much time. When I do come in, I still like to read the posts from some of the old-timers who were around 10-15 years ago as well as a few good posters who have settled in here in recent years.

Reactions: Darz and PhysicX

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I preferred it back then. More knowledgeable posters, as opposed today's collection of social media spammers. I rarely post anymore because intelligent discussion is like the white whale. It honestly feels like trying to discuss trigonometry with a mob who have never advanced past basic arithmetic. Usually devolves into me being burned at the stake for being a heretic. All that being said I understand why the boards had to change, I just miss the support of the people who left when the stampeding sheep overwhelmed these boards.

VagueNearAyeaye-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: King In Glory

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yup thankfully the "old man yelling at clouds" finally slowly faded away. You will still get the occasionally spouting intangibles and such but the forum has evolved quite a bit compared to how I remember it.

There was a hazing-type ritual by long time posters who ganged up on you and ridiculed everything you posted until you "proved" yourself. If you survived that then you could possibly be worth interacting with, in small doses. You had to earn someone's replies. By the same token, it was a great learning experience but I could have done without the gratuitous shrapnel. And if you dared reply in kind, there was no doubt who got infracted -- no benefit of the doubt for the newbie.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't come here as frequently as I used to. The forum seemed to attract more negative posters after the Habs 100th anniversary and other priorities in my life don't allow me as much time. When I do come in, I still like to read the posts from some of the old-timers who were around 10-15 years ago as well as a few good posters who have settled in here in recent years.

Good to have you posting here. This is probably a good year for a long-time poster to provide insight -- several of us don't have high hopes for this season and we could use perspective.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Oh yes, I agree, when I joined here in 2009, the place was full of welcoming people and there was so much unity and intelligence floating around.:sarcasm: Try not to take it all too seriously.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Came from other Habs forums. This one was best. Great posters and scoops the mainstream media on occasion.

Also the focus on dreafting, development, and prospects give HF a unique perspective that I enjoy; moreso when the team sucks.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

There weren't more knowledgeable posters back then. Our culture has changed, the internet has changed. There's also a lot more people now than there was back then. Sure there's a lot more noise now, that's what happens when there's more people.

The fact there's an ongoing movie thread and also a book thread, and the number of posters responding to them, even in the weeks where the traffic used to be really low (like right now), tells me there's significantly more people than there used to be. The variety of people is also better than it was.

There's something for everyone. As opposed to back then. Now it's less exclusive, less clique-ish. Maybe that's what you miss?

And besides, what is there left to say about this **** show that hasn't already been said? The Habs have been one massive cluster**** for the past 3 years, and that brings out a few specific things; chief among them are discontent and humor, and that might be why the board is how it is.

There were a lot of boring and/or stupid people back then too. It's the same ****. Always will be. There's just a lot more people, so a lot more of everything.

Last edited:

Psychedelic Habs

Formerly reaping souls as Death ...
Apr 24, 2014
France, Alps
I got hooked thanks to @Whitesnake 's camp reports. I would then lurk more and more 'till the day I decided to sign up. I don't have much time for posting unfortunately but I've been coming here to read almost everyday for many years now.

Reactions: HomeAndHome

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I joined for the insider info that some guys know where I didn't and vice versa. As a hole, this site keeps us well informed about our team.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not too many other places to talk Habs. I use to belong to the AOL but Spector and Dean and those guys all the time fighting with everybody, not why I went there. So, I went to Habsrus. Then left there a few years ago as more knowledgeable posters here.

Reactions: Runner77

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
I was on the RDS forums and they let them die in favor of their new shit called "Le grand club" IIRC. it was sheit.

Still remembers some posters like Bleuetbio (also here), Marie Petrov , Keyzer_Soze.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I got hooked thanks to @Whitesnake 's camp reports. I would then lurk more and more 'till the day I decided to sign up. I don't have much time for posting unfortunately but I've been coming here to read almost everyday for many years now.

Thanks man. Well appreciated. Unfortunately, less time for me to do so lately. But we have some great informative reports out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->