OT: Why did you choosed to subscribe to the forum? (HFBoards Appreciation Thread)

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I remember posters getting into trouble for using sarcasm without a sarcasm emoji! Those were some of the funniest text battles I have ever witnessed! Lmao!

Reactions: Runner77

hey

Mar 8, 2006
I joined a long time ago to follow Montreal. He dedicated a lot of time following prospects back then.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I posted on Fanhome/Forum Ice for more years than I can remember (well over a decade at least) then a few months ago out of the blue I get a 10 day ban, not because I broke any rules, but merely because something I wrote rubbed a thin-skinned, power-tripping moderator the wrong way. When I realized that no other site mods were going to do anything about it, I decided never to go back. F*** em. They don't even realize that they are hemorrhaging posters left and right while acquiring next to no new members to replace them. In the off-season, the site is a mausoleum with hardly any activity to speak of.

The day I decided to leave that site, I googled this one. It's much more active, even in the off-season, than my former internet "home". I lurked on the old site on draft day just to compare the traffic with what we had going on here and it was no comparison. Our threads on each player selected by the Habs were exponentially larger in total posts than the other site. When their site got to 3 pages on the Kotkaniemi pick, the same thread in this place was already well into the double digits.

Woah! Who were you on FI?!?!?

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
That's a factor I never expected -- getting my breaking news from a message board. Whatever happens in the hockey world pops up on HF immediately. My wife the hockey nut calls about a trade or rumour and I always respond, "Yeah, already read about it".

Yeah, I mostly come here for the news.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh! They banned you?!?!?

Welcome to these quarters, BTW.
No, not banned. I was given a 10 day suspension for writing something that offended a mod. Not something that was against any of the published site rules and regulations, mind you. I just piqued the ire of a thin-skinned mod. I have no issue with sanctioning people who break actual rules but I have a huge issue with people who abuse their power to silence people simply because they don't like something they said. If they broke no rules then that should be that. So I checked the site out after the ban was lifted to see if anyone was going to do anything about it or even if anyone questioned this administrative overreach. No one did. So I left. I didn't announce anything. I just went.

And being away for awhile and then going back to check traffic on the site now that I had this place to compare them to was an eye-opening experience. For all the numerous posters they have registered, very few of them ever post anything and a lot of the regulars just post silly, one word or one sentence replies that don't move discussions along. That board is like a dead man walking. It's essentially just about a dozen people talking to themselves while pretending that they're presiding over an empire of thousands. Technically, I'm still registered there so when the site states that it has x number of members I am counted among them. But like an ever increasing number of them I'm not really a member anymore.

There are way more contributing members here. There's always plenty of discussion to be had. Over there, especially in the summer, maybe one or two threads will get a comment or two. The most recent comment in the thread that's third from the top will often be days old.
'

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I was on Canadiens.nhl.com. but the amount of intrest was low... then I started searching for a new forum and found this place.

Lerked for a long time and then finally lost control and succumbed to posting around Grind DEEZ guys and DD's usage..

As others have said... the quality of debate/posts is much higher then I get with other"casual" fans whom I am friends with and too many leafers around who only wanted to talk leafs.

I like it here :)

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
No, not banned. I was given a 10 day suspension for writing something that offended a mod. Not something that was against any of the published site rules and regulations, mind you. I just piqued the ire of a thin-skinned mod. I have no issue with sanctioning people who break actual rules but I have a huge issue with people who abuse their power to silence people simply because they don't like something they said. If they broke no rules then that should be that. So I checked the site out after the ban was lifted to see if anyone was going to do anything about it or even if anyone questioned this administrative overreach. No one did. So I left. I didn't announce anything. I just went.

And being away for awhile and then going back to check traffic on the site now that I had this place to compare them to was an eye-opening experience. For all the numerous posters they have registered, very few of them ever post anything and a lot of the regulars just post silly, one word or one sentence replies that don't move discussions along. That board is like a dead man walking. It's essentially just about a dozen people talking to themselves while pretending that they're presiding over an empire of thousands. Technically, I'm still registered there so when the site states that it has x number of members I am counted among them. But like an ever increasing number of them I'm not really a member anymore.

There are way more contributing members here. There's always plenty of discussion to be had. Over there, especially in the summer, maybe one or two threads will get a comment or two. The most recent comment in the thread that's third from the top will often be days old.
'

I hear you. Same for me with that forum. Don't like some of the threads here because of the constant bickering. But all in all, it's ways better here.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I do miss the Expos board at Fanhome though.

I hope the Expos come back. It'll make it easier to take a break from hockey during the off season.

Fanhome was great but am wondering how much of it had to do with the novelty of fan boards in those days.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I hope the Expos come back. It'll make it easier to take a break from hockey during the off season.

Fanhome was great but am wondering how much of it had to do with the novelty of fan boards in those days.
Well like I said, it was more about the Expos board on Fanhome than Fanhome itself. Both Mitch Melnick and Jonah Keri were regular posters there.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well like I said, it was more about the Expos board on Fanhome than Fanhome itself. Both Mitch Melnick and Jonah Keri were regular posters there.

Melnick's posting didn't last long though. Keri stayed til the end as I recall. He used to put together these fantasy drafts for posters. Good times.

Reactions: Laurentide

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I really don't remember why I subscribed to this forum. But like others, I'm guessing I found this website to be a lot more informative than the RDS one, with a plethora of level-headed and knowledgeable posters.

I remember finding it while looking for prospect info in 2005 at the time of the lottery and found hockeysfuture.com. I had been going there for awhile, I had often noticed the Forum option on the navigation bar of the website. So sure enough I ended-up making the click. It opened the door to a world of discussion so well suited for hockey fans.

And I find it better today than it ever was, despite living one of the worst periods in Habs history. The sheer amount of people, different opinions, and not just knowledgeable about hockey, but also culturally, such a melting pot of different walks of life, different locations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad