Speculation: Why can't Scott Hartnell get a contract?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think he's saying Kessel's elite talent makes up for his conditioning not being top tier

I do not think that was the cause of the confusion. It was the claim that Kessel's conditioning is poor. It was already proven a while back that Kessel's conditioning is very good, and if it was not, he would not be one of the fastest and most durable players in the league.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Not saying I'd want him on my team but I can easily name a bunch of current NHL players who are worse than Hartnell.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
As the league moves to more skill and speed, players like Hartnell will be pushed out of the league much quicker than they would have even a few years ago.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
TBH I think he could have been more productive but Lavi kind of moved away from why he was signed which was to be the guy sitting in front on the PP which is he is still good at. Frankly I'd throw him on the 4th and stick his butt in front of the net on the PP and let him do his thing. Yeah he's slow but used correctly he is still going to get you points on the PP without hurting you too bad elsewhere.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Most rosters in the NHL have three forwards worse than Hartnell.

This league is dumb and can't evaluate talent. More at 11.
Then I'd say you don't know what you're talking about. Name the teams who have an entire lines worth of players worse than Hartnell. He's a borderline NHL player at this stage.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I would guess there are plenty of teams where guys like him and Joel Ward could fill a roster spot but I'm sure a lot of GMs would rather see if a young player in their system could earn that spot in camp instead.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
He was never really a good skater to begin with, his age is just making things worse. Still has good vision and hockey IQ, but that only counts for so much when you’re slower than everyone else on the ice.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Just took a look at his stats, and he’s dropped between 10-13 points every year since 14-15. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a decline so linear.

At this stage, he’s a 4th liner. Older 4th liners wash out of the league in favor of younger guys all the time. This one just so happens to have name recognition.

Reactions: RayB

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I imagine that it's not that he can't get a contract, but that he can't get what he wants. There are probably some teams willing to give him a 1-year, $1M contract, like what he got last year from the Preds, but I imagine that he thought that he'd take that hometown discount that one time and earn a longer, slightly richer contract this Summer, and it may take him a while longer to face the music that he may just have to settle for that kind of contract again.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Some of these older guys are just going to fall through the cracks. Sucks for them but they have to compete with younger, faster guys on ELCs.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That's like 4th line production, and most teams probably have an abundance of potential 4th liners on cheap deals.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The league is skewing younger and faster every year, and Hartnell is old, slow, useless defensively, takes a lot of penalties, and made 3 mil last season.

Kunitz is a similar case but faster, more well-rounded, and has a ton of championship experience to draw on...and he only managed a 1 year, 1 mil per deal.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Last year, game 5 of the playoffs, the Flyers trotted out Read/Lehtera/Weise.

I'd start Hartnell before any of them.

He even had a lower cap hit than all of them! Hartnell was the only one to collect salary from a buy out though.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Then I'd say you don't know what you're talking about. Name the teams who have an entire lines worth of players worse than Hartnell. He's a borderline NHL player at this stage.

NHL 4th lines are pretty much entirely borderline NHL players.

Cody McLeod, Troy Brouwer, Cal Clutterbuck, Chris Stewart, Jay Beagle, Luke Glendening, and Nate Thompson will all be seeing regular time this year. I would take Hartnell's mom over any of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad