Speculation: Why can't Scott Hartnell get a contract?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Old, slow, finished. Hartnell is a good dude and all but I remember seeing him in a restaurant in Philly during one summer and I was was blown away by how poor of shape he was in as a professional athlete. Like he literally had a bit of a belly and no definition whatsoever. He looked like regular dude with a dad bod who just left the golf course. I know when Jagr arrived in Philly, he urged Hartnell to train religiously and take fitness extremely seriously. I believe that year, Hartnell was in the best shape of his career. But seeing him in last year's playoffs with the chubby face and double chin, leads me to believe he's not in great condition. You need elite talent like Kessel to be able to perform in the NHL in poor condition. Hartnell never had that type of skill.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Old, slow, finished. Hartnell is a good dude and all but I remember seeing him in a restaurant in Philly during one summer and I was was blown away by how poor of shape he was in as a professional athlete. Like he literally had a bit of a belly and no definition whatsoever. He looked like regular dude with a dad bod who just left the golf course. I know when Jagr arrived in Philly, he urged Hartnell to train religiously and take fitness extremely seriously. I believe that year, Hartnell was in the best shape of his career. But seeing him in last year's playoffs with the chubby face and double chin, leads me to believe he's not in great condition. You need elite talent like Kessel to be able to perform in the NHL in poor condition. Hartnell never had that type of skill.
Kessel is in poor condition?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He was pretty decent for the Preds last year. I mean, sure, he's slow and all. But that's not his game. He can still be an abrasive guy who goes to the net. His production for the Preds felt pretty good actually relative to the limited opportunity he got. You do have to have a pretty specific desire for a "gritty veteran" netfront presence. But Hartnell can still do that in the NHL. Or at least, he did that fairly successfully for the Preds last season all things considered. There are worse players on NHL contracts.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Most rosters in the NHL have three forwards worse than Hartnell.

This league is dumb and can't evaluate talent. More at 11.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad