Why are there currently no Belarusian, Kazakh, or Ukrainian NHL players, and only one Latvian?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Not really. Khudobin never played for Kazakhstan. He is also an ethnic russian.

Now, not many people know that, in Russia many are clueless aswell, but there was mostly non-violent ethnic cleansing of russians in Central Asia. At the moment of USSR fall russians constituted around 45% of Kazakhstan population. Now, the number is 19%. While Kazakh population almost doubled, russian population lost around 50% in numbers. A lot of russians moved, because russians, ukrainians and belarusians are disciminated in the workforce.

I watched Top 10 Saves of the Week, and the commentator praised Khudobin for a "Kazakh-ian scorpion save", so I thought he was Kazakh. My bad.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
It only takes one little conflict...

Plenty of examples in sports.
3 years of obligatory playing in a new country. Coaches are not parents, they come and go. It is totally unrealistic scenario.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I watched Top 10 Saves of the Week, and the commentator praised Khudobin for a "Kazakh-ian scorpion save", so I thought he was Kazakh. My bad.
He was born there and lived there when he was a kid.) Same with Evgeny Nabokov btw.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
3 years of obligatory playing in a new country. Coaches are not parents, they come and go. It is totally unrealistic scenario.
Like playing for Dynamo Minsk?

Ask Victor Anh about unrealistic.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
How about Norway?
For a sporting country that wins a lot of gold medal in the Olympics , doesn’t produce as many hockey players like Sweden and Finland does?
Most of the country does not care about hockey. Either is football or handball (if you forget about the skiing).
Hockey draws interest pretty much only in eastern Norway. Even in Oslo, hockey is only a eastern Oslo thing.
Plus, talking with people, it seems that the idea of the norwegian hockey fan is "that low socioeconomic part of the population that cares about american muscle cars, cross the border on a daily basis to buy sodas and cheap booze in Sweden, before going back to beat their wives (that are also their cousins).
Not very high in the norwegian population imagination.
Which is a bit weird because Zuccarello is kind of a national hero, just a tier below the cross country skiers, but well above any football player not named Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Reactions: dlam

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Most of the country does not care about hockey. Either is football or handball (if you forget about the skiing).
Hockey draws interest pretty much only in eastern Norway. Even in Oslo, hockey is only a eastern Oslo thing.
Plus, talking with people, it seems that the idea of the norwegian hockey fan is "that low socioeconomic part of the population that cares about american muscle cars, cross the border on a daily basis to buy sodas and cheap booze in Sweden, before going back to beat their wives (that are also their cousins).
Not very high in the norwegian population imagination.
Which is a bit weird because Zuccarello is kind of a national hero, just a tier below the cross country skiers, but well above any football player not named Ole Gunnar Solskjær
"talking whit people" huh.. you wanted to write clichés and prejudices, and that is what you did

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
Nonsense. For the same reason Canadians choose to play for Kazachstan a Belarussian would prefer to play for Belarus unless he is the next Ovechkin and that is not likely with Belarussians so far. It's much tougher to make the russian team, so what are you talking about?

Pavel karnaukhov is one example. Born in Belarus, his eliteprospects lists him as a duel citizen. Chose to play for Russia at the WJC. Wasn’t a star player for them there, and I’d say he’s unlikely to make Russian mens national teams.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
I wonder if these countries face the same difficulties Canada does in raising new hockey talent- the sport is so damn expensive. So many parents here choose to sign their kids up to soccer that costs like $100 a season when you're a little kid instead of buying $400 of hockey gear every time the kid grows. With eastern and Central Europe, the countries that have economically flourished over the last 15 years (Czech, Slovakia, Denmark, Switzerland, etc.) are producing players consistently, while countries like Belarus and Ukraine who've had it a bit tougher recently may not have as many young players investing in the sport.

Regarding guys like Kopitar and even vanek from non-hockey nations, I think we'll continue to have a couple every few years. The league is due for its token polish, or Latvian, or Serbian player any year now.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Nonsense. For the same reason Canadians choose to play for Kazachstan a Belarussian would prefer to play for Belarus unless he is the next Ovechkin and that is not likely with Belarussians so far. It's much tougher to make the russian team, so what are you talking about?
I believe they meant that they would have to turn down the KHL, not the Russian team. I think unless you're a surefire too 10 pick, it might make sense for Belorussian players to just play near home instead of coming to NA and risking it.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
"talking whit people" huh.. you wanted to write clichés and prejudices, and that is what you did
Of course those are cliches, that is what I wrote. But I live in Norway and I play hockey in Norway, it is not a exactly a well kept secret the fact that hockey is considered by most a very "Harry"*sport.

*the concept of "harry" is kinda difficult to explain, and I do not think that the wiki page about it gives an accurate portrait of it, but at least it is a start.
Harry (derogatory term) - Wikipedia

Quite a good article about the hockey world in Norway:
Er ishockey for harry for Norge?
Sorry, it is in norwegian, hopefully translators can do job good enough for whoever may be interested.
All in all it says what I wrote.
Hockey is a thing only in eastern Norway and even Oslo is split in half, while the rest of the country sees the sport as a Harry thing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad