Why are there currently no Belarusian, Kazakh, or Ukrainian NHL players, and only one Latvian?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Hockey seems to be pretty big in Eastern Europe, though there's been hardly any players from Belarus or Romania. Why has that been the case? Do you think we will see more players from these countries in the future?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Hockey seems to be pretty big in Eastern Europe, though there's been hardly any players from Belarus or Romania. Why has that been the case? Do you think we will see more players from these countries in the future?
Hockey's big in eastern Europe? It's big in those countries that have been under the heavy Soviet influence, and even among those, it's the case in only a handful of them. The following are Eastern/Central European countries with strong hockey traditions:

• Russia
  • Latvia
  • Czech Rep
  • Slovakia
  • Belarus - even there handball and soccer are above easily
Now take a look at the list of countries where hockey is either a non-factor or way down on the totem pole of team sports:

• Romania - soccer, rugby, handball
  • Bulgaria - volleyball, soccer
  • Ukraine - soccer, bball, handball
  • Lithuania - bball, soccer
  • Estonia - soccer
  • Poland - soccer, volleyball, handball, bball
  • Hungary - soccer, waterpolo, handball
  • Serbia - soccer, bball, waterpolo, handball, volleyball
  • Croatia - same as above
  • Slovenia - same as above minus waterpolo
  • Bosnia - same as Slovenia
  • Macedonia - handball, soccer, bball
  • Georgia - rugby and soccer
  • Albania - soccer
Even with the nations that are supposed hockey hotbeds, there is less and less talent coming out compared to the days from when they were behind the curtain. Hockey will never be popular on a level higher than a niche sport in the vast majority of Europe, the biggest factors being:

• no tradition
  • far too many team sports that are easier to play, cheaper and more popular
  • costly infrastructure
  • lack of high-quality coaching from the grassroots level

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Hockey's big in eastern Europe? It's big in those countries that have been under the heavy Soviet influence, and even among those, it's the case in only a handful of them. The following are Eastern/Central European countries with strong hockey traditions:

• Russia
  • Latvia
  • Czech Rep
  • Slovakia
  • Belarus - even there handball and soccer are above easily
Now take a look at the list of countries where hockey is either a non-factor or way down on the totem pole of team sports:

• Romania - soccer, rugby, handball
  • Bulgaria - volleyball, soccer
  • Ukraine - soccer, bball, handball
  • Lithuania - bball, soccer
  • Estonia - soccer
  • Poland - soccer, volleyball, handball, bball
  • Hungary - soccer, waterpolo, handball
  • Serbia - soccer, bball, waterpolo, handball, volleyball
  • Croatia - same as above
  • Slovenia - same as above minus waterpolo
  • Bosnia - same as Slovenia
  • Macedonia - handball, soccer, bball
  • Georgia - rugby and soccer
  • Albania - soccer
Even with the nations that are supposed hockey hotbeds, there is less and less talent coming out compared to the days from when they were behind the curtain. Hockey will never be popular on a level higher than a niche sport in the vast majority of Europe, the biggest factors being:

• no tradition
  • far too many team sports that are easier to play, cheaper and more popular
  • costly infrastructure
  • lack of high-quality coaching from the grassroots level
Great post, thanks for this.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Well, Belarus is a small country that isn't very rich and doesn't have very good sports infrastructure and a very small professional system.

In Romania, hockey is a marginal sport.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Belarus is (or at least has been) decent in hockey. Right up there with other smaller countries like Denmark, France, Norway, Latvia etc. Although I feel like in recent years they've fallen behind quite a lot.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Id imagine financial difficulties and crumbling infrastructure are part of the problem. Outside of Canada hockey remains a niche sport pretty much everywhere. Too expensive.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Belarus:
  • Presence of the city of Minsk with ~2 M population
  • KHL Team Dynamo Minsk
  • 23 KHL Players
Romania:
  • Bucharest population 1.8 M, Romania ~20 M
  • Romanian Hockey League
Considering a country like Slovenia has 3 NHLers, most notably Kopitar I think it's likely or at least possible to see a great player out of Belarus. Minsk is one of the Top3/Top5 arenas in all of Europe for attendance. Comparable to St. Petersburg, Bern, and Cologne. Josi is from Bern & Draisaitl is from Cologne. DEL, NL, and KHL are good enough leagues to develop a young player in their top markets as I have demonstrated. It's only that the right kid gets interested and sticks with it. We're not going to see an explosion of talent, but some outlier certainly could show up.

I wouldn't hold my breath for any Romanian hockey player.

Rest of EE:
I did meet a Hungarian customer who was SUPER interested in hockey. For some people, even in Europe, all the flopping and general behaviour in football is uninteresting. There will always be a baseline support for a combative, fast, and aggressive sport like hockey (ice hockey). It is kind of a cult sport, a rich man's sport, and a white man's sport. Eastern Europe has some strong far-right views and hockey seems to be a good fit considering this shift in attitudes (said objectively). Eastern Europe also has a strong culture based in traditional values and kind of male machismo that hockey fits into relative to other popular sports. A big obstacle is the cost.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
There will be a Belarussian there, over time. They have actually improved their infrastructure a lot over the last 10 years or so. Romania though... Their best players are at semi-pro level even in European leagues so there is a snowball's chance in hell somebody from there makes the big show.

But generally, in most of Eastern Europe, THE big sport is what majority of the population follows and others live in an extremely small niche. Taking Lithuania for example, easily 1/2 12th graders (male and female) would manage to coherently explain basketball rules, I'd say ~1/5 those of soccer. In hockey's, case it would probably be ~1/1000 and I'm not exaggerating. The only thing you will hear would be something about fighting because that's what makes the headlines occasionally.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Belarus:
  • Presence of the city of Minsk with ~2 M population
  • KHL Team Dynamo Minsk
  • 23 KHL Players
Romania:
  • Bucharest population 1.8 M, Romania ~20 M
  • Romanian Hockey League
Considering a country like Slovenia has 3 NHLers, most notably Kopitar I think it's likely or at least possible to see a great player out of Belarus. Minsk is one of the Top3/Top5 arenas in all of Europe for attendance. Comparable to St. Petersburg, Bern, and Cologne. Josi is from Bern & Draisaitl is from Cologne. DEL, NL, and KHL are good enough leagues to develop a young player in their top markets as I have demonstrated. It's only that the right kid gets interested and sticks with it. We're not going to see an explosion of talent, but some outlier certainly could show up.

I wouldn't hold my breath for any Romanian hockey player.

Rest of EE:
I did meet a Hungarian customer who was SUPER interested in hockey. For some people, even in Europe, all the flopping and general behaviour in football is uninteresting. There will always be a baseline support for a combative, fast, and aggressive sport like hockey (ice hockey). It is kind of a cult sport, a rich man's sport, and a white man's sport. Eastern Europe has some strong far-right views and hockey seems to be a good fit considering this shift in attitudes (said objectively). Eastern Europe also has a strong culture based in traditional values and kind of male machismo that hockey fits into relative to other popular sports. A big obstacle is the cost.

Sure, that's why Georgians, Romanians play rugby and 80% of other European countries play handball. And of course you'll find a hockey-crazed people all around the world, I mean just look at me, but that doesn't mean a thing.

As for Slovenia, they are an outlier thanks to Jesenice.

PS

What the hell is this 2nd bolded part of your post all about?

Last edited:

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
There have been a few Belarussian NHL players over the years. Mikhail Grabovski, Vladimir Tsyplakov, Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn, Ruslan Salei, and a few others.

Reactions: zaqq

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yes, there were quite a few Belarus players over the years, but those are very much a product of the remnants of the system put in place during the Soviets. As SoundAndFury mentioned, their infrastructure is on the upswing and hockey is popular there, but they still need to prove they can develop NHL level players going forward.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I understand Romania, but why bring up Belarus?
Ruslan Salei, Mikhail Grabovski, Kostitsyn brothers, Koltsov.....
sure, not a single at the moment.

BTW. Belarus national team before getting relegated after the last games, had been in the A for 14 straight years.
Romania...last time they were in the worlds was back in 77 and the last time they qualified to the Olympics was
for the Lake Placid Olympics in 1980.

Reactions: Morrison

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Also, it has to be mentioned pretty much every Belarussian even close to being good enough to play in the NHL would have to turn down the chance to play for Russia first.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I understand Romania, but why bring up Belarus?
Ruslan Salei, Mikhail Grabovski, Kostitsyn brothers, Koltsov.....
sure, not a single at the moment.
I'd argue the opposite. Belarus' situation is pretty interesting and topical considering the number of players from East European countries plummeted from more than 10 15 years ago to 1 in 2018. It's pretty interesting to discuss why countries like Belarus, Latvia or Kazakhstan, where hockey is relatively popular, can't produce anything at all anymore.

Meanwhile in Romania, they can't produce anything because they have absolutely nothing going for the sport there and nobody from there came within a lightyear of making the NHL. There is nothing to discuss, it's all cut and dry. Until they make some huge changes to their hockey system it's going to be that way.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I think we'll start see a handful more Belarusians in the coming years. Integrating their u20 and u18 teams into their professional leagues has been an improvement and more Belarus players are showing up on the prospect radar.

A couple were drafted in last year's entry draft, a whole bunch of Belarusians were taken in the CHL import draft, and they look like they'll have a few players taken in this year's entry draft.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Walter Gretzky is of Belorussian descent

Fluent in the language

nice try

it wasnt until 2002 that he found out that is where part of his family came from many many years. HE found our at a news conference when asked about his heritage where he was from--He said "my grandfather was born in White Russia"--it was then somone pointed out that is now Belarus

Gretzky finds roots in Belarus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad