Who's your best Defender?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Dont get your point.

All the dmen have had to "adjust". Garrison just seems to get more leeway with some fans.

That ever since he joined us, he's been probably the most consistent D-man even with having to adjust to the new system.

Perhaps he does get more leeway than the others, though aside from being the newest member of the top 4 I do think he deserves credit for being such a rock defensively. Even taking some mistakes from playing on the right side into account.

yoss

May 25, 2011
That's because +/- is convoluted. It has a massive margin for error. I mean, just take into account how many plays it actually accounts for compared to how many shifts a play takes in a single game.

Okay, that makes more sense. Still, when goals are scored those are obviously the important shifts so in that sense it's useful stat. And yeah there will be flukey goals against a player on any given night or a good shift that is not rewarded with a goal which could mean a guy's +- isn't a fair measure of his play, for example.

Last edited:

yoss

May 25, 2011
I already acknowledged that Bieksa is have a fantastic year, but I was speaking of what I typically see from them.

When Bieksa is playing like he currently is, he's as good as Hamhuis or Garrison when they're playing well (I wouldn't say better though). However, he's clearly alot more inconsistent than those two.

He's similarly inconsistent as Edler, but while I think they're equally bad when they're bad, I think Edler is significantly more dominant when they're both at the top of their game. Edler is capable of taking over games.

This is why I think Bieksa is a tier behind the other three. Hamhuis and Garrison are pretty consistently good/great. Bieksa is good/great when he's on and awful when he's off. Edler is awful when he's off, but is incredible/flat out dominant when he's on.

This also makes more sense to me now. I was thinking in terms of who has been our best defender thus far this season.

The only point of contention to me with this is that Edler is not that consistent either (as you've also mentioned) and when I see how dominant he can be it frustrates me that we don't see that far more often. He has flashes of brilliance, but would love to see him bust out offensively. Edler at the top of his game is too infrequent compared to his best moments. Still like his play so far, I'm talking more about his scoring. (Although I'm sure he has a fair amount of assists, haven't checked).

Bieksa I'm just happy he isn't turning the puck over in the worst possible place or feeding the other team passes right in the slot in front of Lou so far this year. He hasn't been as noticeable in bad ways this year I guess is what I'm saying.

Last edited:

TheLastSedin

Sep 18, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Hammer or even casual Kev right now.

I've been hoping Edler becomes our number one, but he looks like a forever #2-3.

He needs to stop gooning it up (i'm sure its not intentional) and turn up the clean and solid hits. I feel like he isn't physical enough and when he isn't physical he isn't emotionally invested into the game.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
You're expecting nothing short of perfection if you don't think Garrison's consistent due to a few bad plays here and there, IMO.

Nope.

For as much flack as Edler gets for consistency issues there isnt a GM out there who would take Garrison over Edler.

No one should expect perfection but those touting Garrison as being some sort of consitent awesome defenseman are off their rockers.

New toy I guess.

Last edited:

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Nope.

For as much flack as Edler gets for consistency issues there isnt a GM out there who would take Garrison over Edler.

No one should expect perfection but those touting Garrison as being some sort of consitent awesome defenseman are off their rockers.

New toy I guess.

I think you're confusing the reason people are calling him "consistent" with "I'd rather have him because he's better". People are just saying his level of play hasn't fluctuated as wildly over the same time frame. Two different things.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think you're confusing the reason people are calling him "consistent" with "I'd rather have him because he's better". People are just saying his level of play hasn't fluctuated as wildly over the same time frame. Two different things.

Exactly. Edler's propensity to look amazing one night and ****** the next really hurts him.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Garrison is near perfect defensively every game. I can't recall a bad game by him. He is a great shutdown Defenseman. If that is not consistency, then what is?

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Garrison is near perfect defensively every game. I can't recall a bad game by him. He is a great shutdown Defenseman. If that is not consistency, then what is?

Well apparently we're off our rockers so... :dunno:

Lord Flacko*

I already acknowledged that Bieksa is have a fantastic year, but I was speaking of what I typically see from them.

When Bieksa is playing like he currently is, he's as good as Hamhuis or Garrison when they're playing well (I wouldn't say better though). However, he's clearly alot more inconsistent than those two.

He's similarly inconsistent as Edler, but while I think they're equally bad when they're bad, I think Edler is significantly more dominant when they're both at the top of their game. Edler is capable of taking over games.

This is why I think Bieksa is a tier behind the other three. Hamhuis and Garrison are pretty consistently good/great. Bieksa is good/great when he's on and awful when he's off. Edler is awful when he's off, but is incredible/flat out dominant when he's on.

It's like you read my mind

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Garrison is the weakest of the bunch.

The guy is not a good passer. I made mention of it a couple weeks ago. He's below average in his ability to move the puck.

It's extremely noticeable on the powerplay, and even more so on the breakouts.

he's an awkward skater. not good at it. leave that to bieska/edler to rush the puck. he's the only guy imo that has a harder shot. 2nd vote goes to edler. bieska can be jykell and hyde sometimes. some nights he can be a force other nights a diaster pick or choose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad