Who's your best Defender?

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I find it hilarious that nobody really knows, I don't either. They're all solid.

We agree!!!

When you don't have a Weber or a Chara, etc. who can eat up 29 minutes a night on a regular basis, the next best thing is to have a top four that, although diverse in skills, are consistently playing at an acceptably high level.

And having guys like Tanev and Stanton rounding out the roster, you have a top six that rivals anyone in the league for depth and consistency.

Tifosi

Feb 6, 2006
Garrison so far this season.

Still waiting for Edler to "arrive", getting pretty tiring of it.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I think Edler has the highest potential, but he has never been our best dman.

Over the last few years, its been Hamhuis.

Garrison has been very steady since we got him, he's a good #2 dman.

So far this year, its Bieksa.

All our dmen bring something different, but we have 3 that are consistent defensively (hamhuis/garrison/tanev), and 2 (edler/bieksa) that are inconsistent.

We lack a PP QB/puck rusher.

Ideally, we move one of our top 4 to get that elite offensive dman, and the defense is set.

We even have Corrado, who imo can already play in the nhl.

Frankly I package Edler and prospects for that #1 dman or elite forward. His development has plateaued over the last few years.

Hamhuis/Tanev
Garrison/Bieksa
Stanton/Corrado

Still solid as hell.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Garry for me.

I don't think he is far from putting it all together. I don't know if he will ever get there, but he is great on both sides of the puck.

Outside99*

They're all pretty good but the nod goes to Garrison because he can play his offside.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Garry and Hamhuis are going in opposite directions right now after their respective starts. Edler is the steady pulse, I voted him - he is clearly our most gifted defence man and traditional #1.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Since his shaky play to start the year, I'd have to say it's been Hamhuis the past few games. Garrison has probably been the most consistent this year though.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Right now, it's Hamhuis. Been said he was shaky to start the season, but he's recovered.
Edler to start the year. Was remembering he was big and strong, but forgot after his ******** suspension.
Bieksa has been the best on some nights, certainly offensively.
Garrison was easily the best offensively to start the season, but remains very good in his own zone.
Stanton has been the best defenseman in at least 2 games I've seen this year (forget which ones exactly, but I did see it...).
Tanev's the only one who hasn't been the best dman on at least one night, but he's usually been very steady. Best shot-blocker, still pretty much useless offensively.

Damn good group so far.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Which day of the week is it?

Pretty nice to have 4 players who should easily fit in anyone's top 60 (eg, average to pair) defencemen.

Betamax*

Right now, it's Hamhuis. Been said he was shaky to start the season, but he's recovered.
Edler to start the year. Was remembering he was big and strong, but forgot after his ******** suspension.
Bieksa has been the best on some nights, certainly offensively.
Garrison was easily the best offensively to start the season, but remains very good in his own zone.
Stanton has been the best defenseman in at least 2 games I've seen this year (forget which ones exactly, but I did see it...).
Tanev's the only one who hasn't been the best dman on at least one night, but he's usually been very steady. Best shot-blocker, still pretty much useless offensively.

Damn good group so far.

Essentially, the Canucks have no clear No. 1 d-man. They have a group of four that can for stretches be their best d-man for segments of games but no dominant No. 1 guy like your classic Lidstrom or Pronger types.

Edler had/has the best chances of being that of the four, however.

But right now there's a bunch of No. 2/3/4 d-men that have moments of No. 1 play.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I voted for Hamhuis, although he's been inconsistent this year. The reality is that the Canucks don't have a #1 defenseman. Both Hamhuis and Garrison are steadying presences so they can anchor a second pairing or be a top pairing complimentary guy. Tanev is getting closer to that category as well. Edler and Bieksa at their best are the team's best defensemen but they are prone to inconsistency and are sensitive to who they are partnered with.

One poster said that they all have their strengths and that's pretty much true. In terms of defending, I think Hamhuis is the best all-around defender, Garrison is probably the best defenseman at defending against dump-ins, Bieksa is the best at moving the puck quickly out of the zone from behind the net, Edler is the best at stepping up and laying a big hit and dominating on the defensive end. In terms of offense, Edler is the best all around, Bieksa is the best at pinching in, Garrison is the best shooter, and Hamhuis just seems to keep picking up assists despite not creating anything.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Hamhuis. But if I was building my team with 1 guy I would pick Edler.

But it is so close, it is a dog fight.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Yeah I like, don't know man. Hamhuis best defensive d-man imo, Juice is clutch and somehow decides to win games on his own occasionally. Edler throws monster hits and is either really good or not so much and that seems to change from one game to the next. Garrison best slapper and solid enough defensively.

They're all good. I refuse to vote, I could see an argument made for any or all of them. Bieksa seems more consistent so far this year which is a pleasant surprise. He usually has 4 or 5 giveaways at his own blue line that results in clear break-aways by this point in the season, but that may be bit of an exaggeration on my part.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Yeah I like, don't know man. Hamhuis best defensive d-man imo, Juice is clutch and somehow decides to win games on his own occasionally. Edler throws monster hits and is either really good or not so much and that seems to change from one game to the next. Garrison best slapper and solid enough defensively.

They're all good. I refuse to vote, I could see an argument made for any or all of them. Bieksa seems more consistent so far this year which is a pleasant surprise. He usually has 4 or 5 giveaways at his own blue line that results in clear break-aways by this point in the season, but that may be bit of an exaggeration on my part.

I'd put it at 3-4. This year though, I'm happy to say that he's toned it down. He still does absurd things like a spinning backhand pass from just inside his own blueline but he's been sooo much better this year at simply not making the dumb/careless mistake.

I think it has been Edler or Hamhuis thus far. Edler has only had one bad game from my POV. He's had a couple dominant ones and the rest have been above average with big minutes. Hamhuis started off terrible and it was kind of shocking(which is a compliment in its own way), but he's returned to his usual self for the most part.

Anyone else think that Edler should be back on the 1st PP and Garrison should be the centerpiece of the second unit? The simplicity of feeding pucks and digging for rebounds really fits our second group, while Garrison seems to sap some of the crisp puck movement from the first unit at times.

I'd also like to see Tanev get a shot playing with the first unit. His skills don't jump out at you but I think he'd do a lot for the puck movement. I think his mobility at the blueline would help open things up and he seems to mix well with the Sedins (a couple of Daniels goals have involved Tanev - his first goal of the season was set up by Tanev and the shift against WAS involved Tanev activating from RD).

Last edited:

yoss

May 25, 2011
I'd put it at 3-4. This year though, I'm happy to say that he's toned it down. He still does absurd things like a spinning backhand pass from just inside his own blueline but he's been sooo much better this year at simply not making the dumb/careless mistake.

I think it has been Edler or Hamhuis thus far. Edler has only had one bad game from my POV. He's had a couple dominant ones and the rest have been above average with big minutes. Hamhuis started off terrible and it was kind of shocking(which is a compliment in its own way), but he's returned to his usual self for the most part.

Anyone else think that Edler should be back on the 1st PP and Garrison should be the centerpiece of the second unit? The simplicity of feeding pucks and digging for rebounds really fits our second group, while Garrison seems to sap some of the crisp puck movement from the first unit at times.

I'd also like to see Tanev get a shot playing with the first unit. His skills don't jump out at you but I think he'd do a lot for the puck movement. I think his mobility at the blueline would help open things up and he seems to mix well with the Sedins (a couple of Daniels goals have involved Tanev - his first goal of the season was set up by Tanev and the shift against WAS involved Tanev activating from RD).

Edler hasn't been bad per se, other than that one game yeah. At the same time I'd like to see more offense from him and less hesitation in general in the offensive zone. Hamhuis I'm reticent to say has been the best but only due to his lackluster start. Bieksa might be the one if I had to choose. Garrison would've been my choice a couple weeks ago but has cooled off since then.

Still happy with the play of all of them and far more so than last year (other than Hamhuis). Stanton another nice surprise, Tanev steady as usual.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Interesting Tanev-Sedinery compatibility theory also, considering those stats about points, maybe worth a look or two. The PP couldn't get much worse, so it'd be a low risk experiment most likely. Wasn't his first ever goal/ot winner with the twins on the ice also? Seem to remember it that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad