thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Hamhuis
Garrison
Edler
Bieksa

Edler has the best all around skill set, hopefully he can continue eating big minutes with good results.

StringerBell

To be honest I really don't know. Probably Hamhuis.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Edler. He's a complete package defenseman and he eats the most minutes.

Hamhuis is probably the most steady, while Bieksa is the most dynamic.

I actually love our defense as it is currently constructed. They all bring so many elements and together they're becoming a strong, cohesive unit under Tortorella. Wouldn't change a thing about our defense at this point.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
I don't know if I can pick one. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses. They are all solid. It's a tie. If it went to a shootout i'm pretty sure Hamhuis would lose.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Its incredibly close between Hamhuis, Edler and Garrison right now. Had to ask myself who's absence would have the largest negative effect on the team, and that answer was Hamhuis, so thats who I went with.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I don't know, it seems to be changing every week or two.

Garrison started out as the best, but his offensive production has slowed down lately (0 points in last 6 games).
Hamhuis had a really slow start but has played noticeably better lately.
Edler has been inconsistent (shocker) with his all-around play.
Bieksa has been pretty good and might be the most consistent top 4 d-man this season for us so far.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I think a lot of you are voting based on previous seasons. This year to date it has easily been Bieksa. Edler has been the worst. I am pretty disappointed at how badly he has regressed. Either that or he was never as good as we all thought.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hamhuis is consistently a #2.

Edler is either a #1 or a #3.

I voted Edler

Pretty much this. I think you can add Garrison as a consistent #2, and Bieksa on any given night might play like a #1 or a #3 (or worse :laugh:).

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I don't know. It's a very tough question. An argument could be made for Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler, Bieksa, as well as Tanev. The only thing I can say for certain is I'm very happy with our current group of defencemen.

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
Just goes to show you that Bieksa and Edler have been having solid seasons so far. Last year when I made this poll the results were Hamhuis - 15, Garrison - 14, Edler - 6, Bieksa - 0.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=84105

Even Tanev could probably be an option now based on his play so far.

Hamhuis probably still takes #1 for me since Torts has generally been matching Hamhuis (usually with Tanev) against other teams' top forwards. (Kessel line, Datsyuk line, Ovechkin line) The first 6 games of this year looks like it was just a hiccup.

Disclaimer: I may be biased. Hamhuis has been my favourite Canuck for the last few years - it's probably a combination of being a BC guy who turned down UFA money to come home, and the fact that the D fell apart after his injury in the finals (which tarnishes Juice and Edler's reputation in my mind). I also really like Garrison for similar reasons.

Last edited:

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Hamhuis is probably our worst offensive dman.. most of his assists come from outlet passes from the defensive zone on the fast-break, which he is great at.

Hamhuis is great defensively, but not a guy to build a core around

Edler quite easily imo

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->