Value of: Who's willing to trade away a 2020 1st round pick non-lotto protected to Montreal?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
We will never see the end of those, but stupidly trading 1st’s has been slowing down and these deals should really give teams a pause.
Has it really though?

Round one[edit]

1. The San Jose Sharks' first-round pick will go to the Ottawa Senators as the result of a trade on September 13, 2018 that sent Erik Karlsson and Francis Perron to San Jose in exchange for Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, a conditional second-round pick in 2019, a conditional first-round pick in 2021, a conditional first-round pick no later than 2022 and this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade).[6] The condition – Ottawa will receive a first-round pick in 2020 if the Sharks qualify for the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs[6] – was converted on March 19, 2019.[7]
  2. New Jersey will receive a first-round pick in 2020 if Arizona's first-round pick in 2020 is outside of the top three selections. Otherwise the pick will defer to 2021.[63]
  3. Carolina will receive a first-round pick in 2020 if Toronto's first-round pick in 2020 is outside of the top ten selections. Otherwise the pick will defer to 2021.[47]
  4. Tampa Bay will receive a first-round pick in 2020 if Vancouver qualifies for the 2020 Stanley Cup playoffs. Otherwise the pick will defer to 2021.[64]

4 picks of 31 have already been traded, 3 of which have been traded in the past 8 months

In 2019, eight first round picks changed hands.
2018 - 9
2017 - 9
2016 - 11
2015 - 9

You get the point. Lots more fun to come.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs are willing to offer their unprotected 1st + Prospect.

Jost
2020-1st (unprotected)

for

Drouin

This will help the AVs rebalance their Forward lines and MTL adds to their rebuild.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
AVs are willing to offer their unprotected 1st + Prospect.

Jost
2020-1st (unprotected)

for

Drouin

This will help the AVs rebalance their Forward lines and MTL adds to their rebuild.
Mtl is trying to rebuild so they will trade away one of their top younger guys? Makes sense

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I so want Ottawa to come out #1 and #2 in this lottery. The entertainment value other teams fan bases will provide will be Off. The. Charts.

Oh yeah, the team that dominated the last decade, making enemies wherever they went, you love to hate them, the...Ottawa Senators...

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I'd think Montreal could take a cap dump to facilitate if needed.

Not really sure about cap dumps or whatnot. The only player that I think the Flyers could offer in return is JVR and I don't think the Flyers would attach a 1st round pick for either Tatar or Petry.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Mtl is trying to rebuild so they will trade away one of their top younger guys? Makes sense

Drouin has been out for months with a torn Wrist Tendon.

OP requested an unprotected 1st and this was the offer for an underperforming injured player. What other options would be available to get any interest?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Not really sure about cap dumps or whatnot. The only player that I think the Flyers could offer in return is JVR and I don't think the Flyers would attach a 1st round pick for either Tatar or Petry.

Even if you consider JVR a cap dump, we're not really in a position to move him until we get some clarity on what is happening with Lindblom long term. Perry should get a first - just not from the Flyers.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Even if you consider JVR a cap dump, we're not really in a position to move him until we get some clarity on what is happening with Lindblom long term. Perry should get a first - just not from the Flyers.

I just meant, JVR for Tatar would be a definite upgrade for the Flyers. But I wouldn't include a 1st with JVR to get Tatar. Petry would get a 1st, but is not a need for us at the moment. For the record I don't see JVR as a cap dump, just overpaid.

Reactions: Starat327

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

OP requested an unprotected 1st and this was the offer for an underperforming injured player. What other options would be available to get any interest?
Its a ligament.

Edit: looks like a tendon, i was wrong.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

Funny to call a player underperforming when he is injured. So with your logic, Mcdavid can go down with an injury and he is there for underperforming right? lol Drouin had 7 goals and 8 assists in 19 GP, and hardly has been underperforming for a guy making 5.5 million. Furthermore, unprotected coming for Colorado ( serious contender to win a cup this year) is a joke. Makes zero difference it is unprotected.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Funny to call a player underperforming when he is injured. So with your logic, Mcdavid can go down with an injury and he is there for underperforming right? lol Drouin had 7 goals and 8 assists in 19 GP, and hardly has been underperforming for a guy making 5.5 million. Furthermore, unprotected coming for Colorado ( serious contender to win a cup this year) is a joke. Makes zero difference it is unprotected.

Drafted 3rd overall. Compared to drafted players, he's the 9th highest scorer and missed quite a few games. Averaging about 50 points a season, decent but considering his Junior performance underperforming.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Drafted 3rd overall. Compared to drafted players, he's the 9th highest scorer and missed quite a few games. Averaging about 50 points a season, decent but considering his Junior performance underperforming.
Yes, ok true, so once again working with your logic, who in their right minds would trade for a far more underperforming player "Jost" and basically a 2nd for Drouin. It makes zero sense for Montreal to make the trade. Maybe if Drouin was like 30 years old.

I say basically a "2nd" because Colorado with their team, and adding Drouin to boot would basically be just that, around a 2nd round pick, or close enough to 2nd round.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Yes, ok true, so once again working with your logic, who in their right minds would trade for a far more underperforming player "Jost" and basically a 2nd for Drouin. It makes zero sense for Montreal to make the trade. Maybe if Drouin was like 30 years old.

I say basically a "2nd" because Colorado with their team, and adding Drouin to boot would basically be just that, around a 2nd round pick, or close enough to 2nd round.

I believe both players need a change.

Jost has strong IQ, hard working, excellent defensively, but lacks physical skills. He'll excel on a slower pace and controlled playing team.

Drouin has incredible physical skills, but terrible attitude and poor IQ. His immaturity will limit ever reaching the next level.

HABs already have excellent hardworking Forwards. Drouin can be disruptive with his immaturity and doesn't use his skills enough. Reconnecting with his Junior buddy Mackinnon could realize his potential. Jost blends into the team. Mature and defensively responsible, he can grow with the young team. Adding a 1st will bring another player in strong draft to continue with the rebuild.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

Jost has strong IQ, hard working, excellent defensively, but lacks physical skills. He'll excel on a slower pace and controlled playing team.

Drouin has incredible physical skills, but terrible attitude and poor IQ. His immaturity will limit ever reaching the next level.

HABs already have excellent hardworking Forwards. Drouin can be disruptive with his immaturity and doesn't use his skills enough. Reconnecting with his Junior buddy Mackinnon could realize his potential. Jost blends into the team. Mature and defensively responsible, he can grow with the young team. Adding a 1st will bring another player in strong draft to continue with the rebuild.

Odds are much much much higher that late first will never become an NHL'er. So it makes zero sense for us to downgrade our skill level, if anything, Montreal needs more skill as they lack high-end skill guys, and we do not want to downgrade in that department. I think we have enough grinders and defensive players thank you very much. In the end, we are not looking to trade our 1 or 2 highest skilled player on our team for "Jost" and a late 1st that chances are will not amount to anything.

Would Colorado trade one of their highest skilled forwards for Lekhonen and a 2nd? I rest my case

Also, Drouin has not been a headcase or a huge problem. I am not saying he has perfect attitude, but he is far from what you are making him out to be.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Odds are much much much higher that late first will never become an NHL'er. So it makes zero sense for us to downgrade our skill level, if anything, Montreal needs more skill as they lack high-end skill guys, and we do not want to downgrade in that department. I think we have enough grinders and defensive players thank you very much. In the end, we are not looking to trade our 1 or 2 highest skilled player on our team for "Jost" and a late 1st that chances are will not amount to anything.

Would Colorado trade one of their highest skilled forwards for Lekhonen and a 2nd? I rest my case

Also, Drouin has not been a headcase or a huge problem. I am not saying he has perfect attitude, but he is far from what you are making him out to be.

Jost has far greater potential than Lekhonen which tops as a 3rd or 4th line player. He lacks any finishing skills.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think the Canes would consider dealing a top-10 protected 1st + B prospect for Petry. Nobody is giving up an unprotected pick IMO. Far too risky after watching teams move 10+ picks in the Draft lottery in recent years.

Petry would thrive in Carolina. Imo is better defensively than Dougie but not as good offensively. Can still put up a decent amount of points though.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Do you sell vacuums door to door? You should.

Reactions: Rozz and Tanknation

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Do you sell vacuums door to door? You should.

fa0601da40b670914d400a3f01cb4623--hockey-montreal.jpg

Reactions: Crow and Eye Test

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad