Value of: Who's willing to trade away a 2020 1st round pick non-lotto protected to Montreal?

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
I am not after any of the bottom teams like Detroit, Ottawa etc. Clearly the ask there would be astronomical, as it should be.

I'm more intrigued in teams who are currently in playoff position/likely to qualify - but who could still fall out too. With a quick glance at the standings, such teams might include Philly, Toronto, Carolina, Vegas, Vancouver, etc.

Would any such teams be buyers come TDL, and be willing to part with a 1st round pick, non-lotto protected, for reinforcements?

The 2 biggest trading chips I believe we have realistically are Petry and Tatar. Kovalchuk can likely go too, but obviously he won't return a 1st, unless he continues at a ridiculous pace between now and TDL.

I don't want Montreal to tank - but with the draft in Montreal and Lafreniere looking so good - i'd love to increase our odds at winning the lottery by adding a couple first round picks, with the off chance they could win the lotto too.

Also - I'm not exactly sure of the value of Tatar/Petry. I feel like both players should each return a 1st round pick and likely more - but maybe i'm slightly off in valuation. Either way - an add can be made to make a deal more attractive on either side - i'm more intrigued about if such teams would be willing to part with their first round picks (no lotto protection) this year or not.

Thoughts?

A unprotected 1st for that? No one on Montreal is worth an unprotected first not even close. They’ll have another mid first round pick like usual

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
Toronto doesn't have a 1st to trade.

Currently 10th in the conference the leafs would be out of the playoffs if they started today. With no first and no playoffs a very real possibility the Leafs might be sellers . Certainly not buyers.
It's a Raptors city now anyway .

Reactions: benedictTavares

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Hrm; Minnesota will trade their 1st + Matt Dumba for Cole Caufield, Max Domi, Cayden Primeau and a 2nd.

Minnesota can pound sand.

Edmonton could move a first and prospect like Broberg if Domi is available.

Not sure how the deal would breakdown but I’d want an add on Montreal side.

He’s bot available unless it’s a hockey trade - which in this it is not.

Calgary's unprotected 1st 20 and Lucic for Tatar

Counter offers? Lol

Lucic is a deal breaker no matter how many assets you attach to him

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Both Tatar and Petry are worth a 1st. I could see any of those Pacific teams paying that. Not all of them will make it so there's your target

You must have lots of very happy crack dealers in your area.

All the pacific teams are bottom feeders and are desperately trying to ad 1st round picks.
I think a more realistic target would be Detroit. Maybe they want to part with their 1st rounder

Reactions: Eye Test

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
You must have lots of very happy crack dealers in your area.

All the pacific teams are bottom feeders and are desperately trying to ad 1st round picks.
I think a more realistic target would be Detroit. Maybe they want to part with their 1st rounder
Only LA, Anaheim, and this year SJ are bottom feeders. The rest are mediocre bubble teams who are all tied and may or may not make the playoffs. Exactly the type OP is targeting. Check the standings again at NHL.com

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Petry or Tatar might get a late 1st (say Boston for tatar if they don't get Krieder or Colorado for d-man). If you expecting a Philly, Carolina, Columbus to offer a 1 i wouldn't count on it in a deep draft.

Reactions: DaveG

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
A unprotected 1st for that? No one on Montreal is worth an unprotected first not even close. They’ll have another mid first round pick like usual

I think we disagree in how much value teams assign to "unprotecting" a first. Especially playoff teams more than halfway into the season.

Those teams are in buyers mode to get rdy for playoffs. Missing playoffs this year isnt a big consideration for some i expect

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Carolina trading Torontos 2020/1 1st or Tampa trading Vancouvers 2020/1 1st (if they don't make the playoffs) are probably the only chances someone has at potentially getting their hands on an unprotected pick that could end up in the lottery.

With the Sens last year and the Sharks this year getting completely screwed by trading unprotected future 1sts, I think GMs will be very reluctant to trade unprotected 1sts in the future. Even if its protected the 1st year it has a major chance at biting you in the behind.

I think we unfortunately will go down the NBA road soon where picks get protected for 3-4 years into the future or not traded at all.
And that Leafs first is lottery protected as is from the Marleau trade so even if the Canes were to trade the pick it's still guaranteed to not be top 10 this year either way.

Reactions: Eye Test

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think any heat he feels is self-imposed... but that could still be substantial, because he really believed in the team he built and really wants to win before he retires. Hopefully that doesn't make him too desperate. Hopefully he's pragmatic enough to refrain from trying to buy into a playoff spot. But who knows.
Suprised that team has fall off for 3 seasons in a row. Seem like they were on the cuff of multiply cups the year they got to Finals.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I

Winnipeg was stupid

Nashville was stupid

Vegas didn’t trade a first.

Add to it

San Jose was stupid trading an unprotected first

Ottawa the year before was stupid.

The thing is teams now see the effects of this and it is a deep draft. You might get an unprotected 1st for both players together
Oh, so we're done seeing stupid moves by GM's now? Its going to be a boring spring I guess.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The more interesting question is how much on top of their own 1st would MTL trade to get Lafreniere?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I am not after any of the bottom teams like Detroit, Ottawa etc. Clearly the ask there would be astronomical, as it should be.

I'm more intrigued in teams who are currently in playoff position/likely to qualify - but who could still fall out too. With a quick glance at the standings, such teams might include Philly, Toronto, Carolina, Vegas, Vancouver, etc.

Would any such teams be buyers come TDL, and be willing to part with a 1st round pick, non-lotto protected, for reinforcements?

The 2 biggest trading chips I believe we have realistically are Petry and Tatar. Kovalchuk can likely go too, but obviously he won't return a 1st, unless he continues at a ridiculous pace between now and TDL.

I don't want Montreal to tank - but with the draft in Montreal and Lafreniere looking so good - i'd love to increase our odds at winning the lottery by adding a couple first round picks, with the off chance they could win the lotto too.

Also - I'm not exactly sure of the value of Tatar/Petry. I feel like both players should each return a 1st round pick and likely more - but maybe i'm slightly off in valuation. Either way - an add can be made to make a deal more attractive on either side - i'm more intrigued about if such teams would be willing to part with their first round picks (no lotto protection) this year or not.

Thoughts?

Since the new lottery system came into play, nobody is going to trade a non-lotto protected 1st round pick. Even the teams in the upper echelon put these types of restrictions on when dealing their 1st rounders.

Reactions: DaveG and Eye Test

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
I think we disagree in how much value teams assign to "unprotecting" a first. Especially playoff teams more than halfway into the season.

Those teams are in buyers mode to get rdy for playoffs. Missing playoffs this year isnt a big consideration for some i expect

Fair point but even still who’s worth that?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I’d give a conditional pick for Kovalchuck, maybe something like a 3rd that flexes to a 2nd if the Pens make the SCF with a condition that Kovalchuck plays X number of playoff games or something like that (not sure how detailed these conditions typically go).

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

If you look at how tight the playoff races are, just a short losing streak could take a team from a playoff spot to golfing. I do not see teams in those positions gambling away 1sts. Especially unprotected 1sts.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Philly can't take on the salary for either of those players, so they are probably out as well.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
How generous of you offering a mid first along with the biggest cap dump there is for a guy on pace for 70 points.

When did Calgary land a 32 y.o. goalie, posting league-average stats, making $10.5M for the next 6 seasons after this one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->