Value of: Who's willing to trade away a 2020 1st round pick non-lotto protected to Montreal?

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Probably not a whole lot and that's because guys like Gally do not get traded, and if they did, it would be easy for a late 1st, 2nd, and a top prospect at a min. If not, Montreal would never trade him, or have any reason to and the convo would just end.

Kevin Friggen Hayes last year fetched a
1st
4th
Brandon Lemieux

Matt Duchene fetched 2 prospects
+
not 1 but 2! 1st round picks

Max Pacs fetched

Suzuki, Tater and a 2nd.

See also Jake Muzzin etc. etc.

Small correction but Duchene was traded for 2 prospects, a 1st round pick AND a conditional 1st on him resigning, which he did not.

Also Duchene was by far the best C available and was much more valuable leading up to the TDL last year.

Reactions: Starat327

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Carolina trading Torontos 2020/1 1st or Tampa trading Vancouvers 2020/1 1st (if they don't make the playoffs) are probably the only chances someone has at potentially getting their hands on an unprotected pick that could end up in the lottery.

With the Sens last year and the Sharks this year getting completely screwed by trading unprotected future 1sts, I think GMs will be very reluctant to trade unprotected 1sts in the future. Even if its protected the 1st year it has a major chance at biting you in the behind.

I think we unfortunately will go down the NBA road soon where picks get protected for 3-4 years into the future or not traded at all.
Both Toronto and Vancouver’s picks have some form of lottery projection. Vancouver top 15 and Toronto top 10. So acquiring them from the teams that now have them won’t get you a lottery pick either.

Reactions: DaveG

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I
Probably not a whole lot and that's because guys like Gally do not get traded, and if they did, it would be easy for a late 1st, 2nd, and a top prospect at a min. If not, Montreal would never trade him, or have any reason to and the convo would just end.

Kevin Friggen Hayes last year fetched a
1st
4th
Brandon Lemieux

Matt Duchene fetched 2 prospects
+
not 1 but 2! 1st round picks

Max Pacs fetched

Suzuki, Tater and a 2nd.

See also Jake Muzzin etc. etc.

Winnipeg was stupid

Nashville was stupid

Vegas didn’t trade a first.

Add to it

San Jose was stupid trading an unprotected first

Ottawa the year before was stupid.

The thing is teams now see the effects of this and it is a deep draft. You might get an unprotected 1st for both players together

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Probably no one considering even Toronto top 10 protected their 1st they traded to get rid of Marleau even though there was probably less than a 5% chance they would be picking top 10.

Reactions: DaveG

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Probably no one considering even Toronto top 10 protected their 1st they traded to get rid of Marleau even though there was probably less than a 5% chance they would be picking top 10.

Yeah but Toronto did it a year out.
Most of the protected picks either happen in the off-season, or happen when the pick is for the following year.

Mid-season - as TDL approaches - teams like Toronto/Vegas/Nashville/Philly/Calgary etc etc are all likely looking forward to playoffs, and good chance they want to be "buyers" to take the next step. Protecting a pick seems less critical, as odds of picking high are pretty slim.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Hrm; Minnesota will trade their 1st + Matt Dumba for Cole Caufield, Max Domi, Cayden Primeau and a 2nd.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I am not after any of the bottom teams like Detroit, Ottawa etc. Clearly the ask there would be astronomical, as it should be.

I'm more intrigued in teams who are currently in playoff position/likely to qualify - but who could still fall out too. With a quick glance at the standings, such teams might include Philly, Toronto, Carolina, Vegas, Vancouver, etc.

Would any such teams be buyers come TDL, and be willing to part with a 1st round pick, non-lotto protected, for reinforcements?

The 2 biggest trading chips I believe we have realistically are Petry and Tatar. Kovalchuk can likely go too, but obviously he won't return a 1st, unless he continues at a ridiculous pace between now and TDL.

I don't want Montreal to tank - but with the draft in Montreal and Lafreniere looking so good - i'd love to increase our odds at winning the lottery by adding a couple first round picks, with the off chance they could win the lotto too.

Also - I'm not exactly sure of the value of Tatar/Petry. I feel like both players should each return a 1st round pick and likely more - but maybe i'm slightly off in valuation. Either way - an add can be made to make a deal more attractive on either side - i'm more intrigued about if such teams would be willing to part with their first round picks (no lotto protection) this year or not.

Thoughts?
Here is the complete list:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Most teams don't accept trades in that case

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think the Canes would consider dealing a top-10 protected 1st + B prospect for Petry. Nobody is giving up an unprotected pick IMO. Far too risky after watching teams move 10+ picks in the Draft lottery in recent years.
"Would consider"? That's a steal for the Canes. I know the Habs definitely want more. Muzzin got more than that and Petry is a better dman and a righty.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I hope Nashville isn't a Buyer. But Poile has usually taken that approach, and he may be holding out faint hope, alas. It would drive us nuts if he traded his 1st for a rental. But I wouldn't entirely rule it out.
He must be feeling some heat after season Nashville has had?

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Not sure if they can have interest but because they have Alex Turcotte in their rank, I would try to deal his linemate Cole Caufield to LA for their pick

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Edmonton could move a first and prospect like Broberg if Domi is available.

Not sure how the deal would breakdown but I’d want an add on Montreal side.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He must be feeling some heat after season Nashville has had?
I think any heat he feels is self-imposed... but that could still be substantial, because he really believed in the team he built and really wants to win before he retires. Hopefully that doesn't make him too desperate. Hopefully he's pragmatic enough to refrain from trying to buy into a playoff spot. But who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad