Value of: Who's willing to trade away a 2020 1st round pick non-lotto protected to Montreal?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I am not after any of the bottom teams like Detroit, Ottawa etc. Clearly the ask there would be astronomical, as it should be.

I'm more intrigued in teams who are currently in playoff position/likely to qualify - but who could still fall out too. With a quick glance at the standings, such teams might include Philly, Toronto, Carolina, Vegas, Vancouver, etc.

Would any such teams be buyers come TDL, and be willing to part with a 1st round pick, non-lotto protected, for reinforcements?

The 2 biggest trading chips I believe we have realistically are Petry and Tatar. Kovalchuk can likely go too, but obviously he won't return a 1st, unless he continues at a ridiculous pace between now and TDL.

I don't want Montreal to tank - but with the draft in Montreal and Lafreniere looking so good - i'd love to increase our odds at winning the lottery by adding a couple first round picks, with the off chance they could win the lotto too.

Also - I'm not exactly sure of the value of Tatar/Petry. I feel like both players should each return a 1st round pick and likely more - but maybe i'm slightly off in valuation. Either way - an add can be made to make a deal more attractive on either side - i'm more intrigued about if such teams would be willing to part with their first round picks (no lotto protection) this year or not.

Thoughts?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Carolina trading Torontos 2020/1 1st or Tampa trading Vancouvers 2020/1 1st (if they don't make the playoffs) are probably the only chances someone has at potentially getting their hands on an unprotected pick that could end up in the lottery.

With the Sens last year and the Sharks this year getting completely screwed by trading unprotected future 1sts, I think GMs will be very reluctant to trade unprotected 1sts in the future. Even if its protected the 1st year it has a major chance at biting you in the behind.

I think we unfortunately will go down the NBA road soon where picks get protected for 3-4 years into the future or not traded at all.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Both Tatar and Petry are worth a 1st. I could see any of those Pacific teams paying that. Not all of them will make it so there's your target

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Carolina trading Torontos 2020/1 1st or Tampa trading Vancouvers 2020/1 1st (if they don't make the playoffs) are probably the only chances someone has at potentially getting their hands on an unprotected pick that could end up in the lottery.

With the Sens last year and the Sharks this year getting completely screwed by trading unprotected future 1sts, I think GMs will be very reluctant to trade unprotected 1sts in the future. Even if its protected the 1st year it has a major chance at biting you in the behind.

I think we unfortunately will go down the NBA road soon where picks get protected for 3-4 years into the future or not traded at all.
Well both Ottawa and Calgary did it yet San Jose still traded their 1st the year after so I'm not sure GMs learn. Perhaps because none of the teams won the lottery which makes it less noticeable?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

It's different with SJ and Sens though isn't it. It was for a pick the following year. I'm talking about a pick this year.

ie - if Philly traded us their 2021 1st pick unprotected - it's stupid I agree. Good season this year, trending up, could make playoffs, and i'm sure they're optimistic about next year....but maybe bottom falls out and they suck next year and that pick wins lotto. Too far out to tell, and too big a risk, they could end up like Ottawa or SJ.

But their pick for this year? I'm sure Philly (I'm picking on them - but could be any of the other playoff teams outside of the absolute top ones like Bos/Wash, etc) like their odds of qualifying this year for playoffs and could be buyers - and much moreso than that, they are all but certain the bottom isn't going to fall out from under them this season, so as to make their pick in anyway likely to win the lotto. Is it possible that they finish with the 15th pick (out of playoffs), win lotto, and lose out? Sure - that's what i'm banking on as a Habs fan with this question - but from Philly's perspective it's not the same risk as it would be trading a pick 1 year out (as both Ottawa and now SJ are being screwed on) and that pick ending up having a huge lotto odd.

I expect a lot of bubble/playoff teams will be "buyers" at TDL. Many of those teams are likely willing to part ways with their 1st round pick for the right trade. The usual approach is "lotto protected this year, not next year". All i'm asking is to flip that around. 2020 1st round pick, and don't lotto protect this year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think the Canes would consider dealing a top-10 protected 1st + B prospect for Petry. Nobody is giving up an unprotected pick IMO. Far too risky after watching teams move 10+ picks in the Draft lottery in recent years.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Gally is worth much more than a possible last 1st pick. 1st, 2nd and "A+" "A" prospect more like it.
I think your valuation is a tad high here. Who's the last guy who went for a package like that?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I hope Nashville isn't a Buyer. But Poile has usually taken that approach, and he may be holding out faint hope, alas. It would drive us nuts if he traded his 1st for a rental. But I wouldn't entirely rule it out.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I think your valuation is a tad high here. Who's the last guy who went for a package like that?
Probably not a whole lot and that's because guys like Gally do not get traded, and if they did, it would be easy for a late 1st, 2nd, and a top prospect at a min. If not, Montreal would never trade him, or have any reason to and the convo would just end.

Kevin Friggen Hayes last year fetched a
1st
4th
Brandon Lemieux

Matt Duchene fetched 2 prospects
+
not 1 but 2! 1st round picks

Max Pacs fetched

Suzuki, Tater and a 2nd.

See also Jake Muzzin etc. etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthProbert

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Probably not a whole lot and that's because guys like Gally do not get traded, and if they did, it would be easy for a late 1st, 2nd, and a top prospect at a min. If not, Montreal would never trade him, or have any reason to and the convo would just end.

Kevin Friggen Hayes last year fetched a
1st
4th
Brandon Lemieux

Matt Duchene fetched 2 prospects
+
not 1 but 2! 1st round picks

Max Pacs fetched

Suzuki, Tater and a 2nd.

See also Jake Muzzin etc. etc.
Both of those guys are Centers.
Both are better than Gallagher.
Nobody is going to give you that price. Guys like Gallagher run out of gas at about 31 or 32 years old. If you're such a big fan, you should probably keep him.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I think the only chance we have is if the 1st pick is in 2021. And I would do it even though next year’s draft doesn’t look as impactful as this year’s.

Lafreniere is a pipe dream and I wouldn’t put all my eggs on him.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Both of those guys are Centers.
Both are better than Gallagher.
Nobody is going to give you that price. Guys like Gallagher run out of gas at about 31 or 32 years old. If you're such a big fan, you should probably keep him.
None of the players mentioned are anywhere better than Gally, What the hell are you talking about and it also amazes me that you can predict he will run out of gas by 31 or 32. In fact, since you asked me to find some trades for you, why don't you find me players at Gally's level and production who ran out of gas at 31.
Spare yourself because what you said are pure garbage and nonsense and you know it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad