Value of: Who's willing to trade away a 2020 1st round pick non-lotto protected to Montreal?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
How generous of you offering a mid first along with the biggest cap dump there is for a guy on pace for 70 points.

Lucic is the biggest cap dump? Idk id like to argue Seabrook is and Price is pretty close as well *mind blown*
The thing is the OP asked for a 1st that could have no protection and a team that isn't top 5, Calgary is borderline rn id say... since we obviously can't hold onto a top spot, we could fall right out of the top 3 in our division within 2 games back, because our division is a tight race, i did what the OP asked, dont get snarky, every time i reply in a MTL thread you have to stick your nose in my proposals, dont like what i post just ignore me ffs.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
fa0601da40b670914d400a3f01cb4623--hockey-montreal.jpg
The shape of the toilet more so looks like Calgary's logo minus the flames than Montreal.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Jost has far greater potential than Lekhonen which tops as a 3rd or 4th line player. He lacks any finishing skills.
Really he does? Stats say otherwise so far. Plus Leks is a better two way player. Age gap is only 2 or 3 years between them.

So Leks and a 2nd for
Landeskog

Sounds about fair, right?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Really he does? Stats say otherwise so far. Plus Leks is a better two way player. Age gap is only 2 or 3 years between them.

So Leks and a 2nd for
Landeskog

Sounds about fair, right?

Doubt Habs can afford Landy's next contract with Price and Weber responsible for 25% of the team's cap space.

Simpsons - Laughing Crowd.gif

Reactions: Eye Test

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I am not after any of the bottom teams like Detroit, Ottawa etc. Clearly the ask there would be astronomical, as it should be.

I'm more intrigued in teams who are currently in playoff position/likely to qualify - but who could still fall out too. With a quick glance at the standings, such teams might include Philly, Toronto, Carolina, Vegas, Vancouver, etc.

Would any such teams be buyers come TDL, and be willing to part with a 1st round pick, non-lotto protected, for reinforcements?

The 2 biggest trading chips I believe we have realistically are Petry and Tatar. Kovalchuk can likely go too, but obviously he won't return a 1st, unless he continues at a ridiculous pace between now and TDL.

I don't want Montreal to tank - but with the draft in Montreal and Lafreniere looking so good - i'd love to increase our odds at winning the lottery by adding a couple first round picks, with the off chance they could win the lotto too.

Also - I'm not exactly sure of the value of Tatar/Petry. I feel like both players should each return a 1st round pick and likely more - but maybe i'm slightly off in valuation. Either way - an add can be made to make a deal more attractive on either side - i'm more intrigued about if such teams would be willing to part with their first round picks (no lotto protection) this year or not.

Thoughts?

Depends on the price.

A) Unprotected, a pretty good piece.

B) Unprotected - a very good piece.

A) It´s in the ballpark of Tatar or Armia

B) Is in the ballpark of Tatar + getting a bad contract back. Or Max Domi.

NO, no Carey Price is in the mix. Getting a first is not equaled as "helping a team out".

If Montreal wants - as I belive - Could eat the cookie, and have the cookie left on the table, at the same time.

Tatar + Carey Price for 1st + BIG TIME cap dump.

// !

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Yea, so funny and smart considering we have like 11 million in cap space. Do you even watch or follow anything in regards to hockey? You don't seem knowledgable and resort to toilet humor (no pun intended):huh:

How is that smart?

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
What would that be?

Honestly, I don't know. But seeing how other Habs fans answered every single proposal with : No / Never / Not even close...

It was the only conclusion I could reach.

A 1st round pick is a rare commodity and usually doesn't come cheap. A 1st round pick without a lotery protection clause is even rarer. Tells you what you should expect to pay as a price.

It's like if you are buying a car. You are not expecting to spend the same if you are looking for a small hatch vs a super exotic car. 1st round pick being more in the super exotics price range.

Reactions: Eye Test

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Depends on the price.

A) Unprotected, a pretty good piece.

B) Unprotected - a very good piece.

A) It´s in the ballpark of Tatar or Armia

B) Is in the ballpark of Tatar + getting a bad contract back. Or Max Domi.

NO, no Carey Price is in the mix. Getting a first is not equaled as "helping a team out".

If Montreal wants - as I belive - Could eat the cookie, and have the cookie left on the table, at the same time.

Tatar + Carey Price for 1st + BIG TIME cap dump.

// !

You could get more from a package around ''Price with retention'' than from ''Price vs a big cap dump''.

But Price's contract will necessarily either involve one or the other and definitely not neither. There's no teams willing to add 10.5M to their salary without freeing up considerable cap space, no matter how good Carey is.

Armada

Nov 21, 2013
As a Habs fan who follow Columbus a lot, I already proposed Tatar for 1st protected + Peeke and both sides are mad, so it's not just Habs fan. I would do Tatar for 1st + D from 2016 or 2017 draft year similar in value to Peeke.

I also proposed Petry for Gavrikov + 2nd, again, both sides are mad.

Armada

Nov 21, 2013
Both of those guys are Centers.
Both are better than Gallagher.
Nobody is going to give you that price. Guys like Gallagher run out of gas at about 31 or 32 years old. If you're such a big fan, you should probably keep him.

No, just no, refrain from using HockeyDb, it's not how to rate player.

Gallagher was always better than Pacioretty for the Habs, I'm telling you this after seeing both every game for many years.

Gallagher is also better than Tatar, Drouin, and Domi, every habs fan will tell you that.

He is actually the only Habs forward I would never consider trading unless it's just too good.

He is as valuable to the Habs as someone like Ryan Smyth was for the Oilers, which was traded at 30 years sold but remind valuable until 35. Gallagher is only 27.

Armada

Nov 21, 2013
The more interesting question is how much on top of their own 1st would MTL trade to get Lafreniere?

Assuming we draft let's say 7 OA and we are sure to draft 1 OA, I would give:

7 OA 2020 + 1st 2021 (not protected) + Caufield + Drouin for Lafrenière.

I am a Habs fan and totally serious about this.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
As a Habs fan who follow Columbus a lot, I already proposed Tatar for 1st protected + Peeke and both sides are mad, so it's not just Habs fan. I would do Tatar for 1st + D from 2016 or 2017 draft year similar in value to Peeke.

I also proposed Petry for Gavrikov + 2nd, again, both sides are mad.

Your proposal to CBJ was garbage.

They’re a team that gambled prospects and picks last season for the Cup. Playing above their abilities thus season, you offer an aging soon to be a UFA for their 1st + prospect. They have a poor Farm, and less desirable UFA destination. Draft picks and successful development of prospects are vitally important for their success.

You proposal was simply terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad