Who would you rather acquire: Laine, Hall, or Ekman-Larsson?

Who would you rather acquire: Laine, Hall, or Ekman-Larsson?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
We need at least two talent infusions of that caliber...

Preferably a top line fwd & top pair dman, but beggars can't be choosers.

Instead we opted for 8+M on two depth players that, at best will keep us out of the lottery pick range, while not moving us any closer to contending.

There's always next summer lol

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Instead we opted for 8+M on two depth players that, at best will keep us out of the lottery pick range, while not moving us any closer to contending.

It’s sad because teams with top talent attract top talent. Gaining any star in last few years or this year would be huge towards not only improving the team today but in the future as well.

Maybe some will hate this but I wonder if Arizona will push Kessel out for cheap. He’s no superstar but he’s still a weapon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It’s sad because teams with top talent attract top talent. Gaining any star in last few years or this year would be huge towards not only improving the team today but in the future as well.

Maybe some will hate this but I wonder if Arizona will push Jessel out for cheap. He’s no superstar but he’s still a weapon.

Agreed... And why the radulov situation (& Markov & Pacioretty & PK in varying degrees) quite likely hurt us more than just on ice. Not only have we failed to bring in elite talent, we've consistently burnt bridges publicly with our closest-to-elite talent on their way out of town.

Not sure I agree with the 2nd part... Imo Kessel, short of landing as trigger man for a top-5 C talent, is facing a steep & rapid decline of which this year was just a taste. Age & a career of poor habits finally overcoming the immense talent he coasted on for so long.

Reactions: azcanuck

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I would go for OEL no doubt. Pay with our 1st this year and next, add Alzner and Byron as dumps and add a « B » prospect or 2 like Poehling, Brook, Hillis or Harris.

then trade Domi for a pick in the 10-12 OA range and draft the best available forward. Then sign an offensive talent like Hoffman or Dadonov (I think Hall will be to costly). Finally trade 2 x 2nds for Anderson.

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Dadonov-KK-Armia
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Evans-Ylonen
Weal

OEL-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Edmundson-Romanov
Kulak

Price-Allen

You then replace guys like Tatar and Gallagher by guys like Caufield and the forward you pick at 10-12 this year and eventually guys like Norlinder and Struble replaces older D and Romanov get to climb up the chart.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Pierre LeBrun confirming what MB already told us: we're not in on the Laine derby.
Bergevin ne serait pas dans le derby Laine

As MB said, whenever he calls about a goal scorer, teams ask for Suzuki, KK, or Romanov. And that's where the conversation ends.

I'd personally give up Romanov in a package, but not KK or Suzuki. Timmins is good at finding dmen. He has trouble finding offensive forwards. Laine would fill a need that's harder to full than Romanov.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I didn't vote because my honest answer is that it depends how long Bergevin is our GM. If he's here to stay for another 5+ years then I would probably go with OEL he fills the biggest need and gives the best chance for us to have success with the core of Weber/Price, which with MB here to stay we know he's going to stick with. I might go with Hall if the cost to trade for OEL is particularly high.

If on the other hand MB was going to be fired pretty soon, I'd go with Laine since he's the best complement to the young core of Suzuki/Kotkaniemi.
Laine is the beast to have, Hall is a good second choice that doesn't cost an actual player or prospect.
I imagine that board going in flames if Laine is pairing with Domi or Danault as center. Even for a game or two, lol.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020
Hall AINEC. Laine is a maybe, but probably a no given what is likely an incredibly high asking price. Ekman-Larsson is a hard pass, he's terrible and overpaid.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

Maybe some will hate this but I wonder if Arizona will push Kessel out for cheap. He’s no superstar but he’s still a weapon.
Please no Kessel. He's horrible. The worst defensive forward in hockey and skills are eroding fast. Never the greatest attitude.
Other than that yea he's okay.

Reactions: dralaf and 26Mats

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I"ve watched OEL here in the desert for a long time.
He's got great skills, but at times defensively he's a disaster.
He's also a quiet guy who I dont believe likes the limelight. Not sure he'd thrive in Montreal.
AND he has a big contract for a bunch more years.
I would go after Chyckrun if the Yotes wanted to shed salary. This guy is a BEAST.

Reactions: dralaf

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hall AINEC. Laine is a maybe, but probably a no given what is likely an incredibly high asking price. Ekman-Larsson is a hard pass, he's terrible and overpaid.

Laine would cost a lot. Only way I see us having a chance is if we traded Danault or Domi for a dman they want and then package that dman with whoever wasn't traded between Danault and Domi, plus add Caufield.

The plus on Laine is he just turned 22. Hall will be 29 in November.

I'd take Hall if he wanted to come here. I'd have to see what Laine would cost.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

If Hall actually wants to come here, we can afford him - if we then turn around and trade Domi for futures.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Signing Hall will cost 3 of those 4 to leave next season Danault Domi Tatar and Gallagher.
He will command pretty much what we have left in salary.

Remember Allen and Weal come off the books next year. That's 6M. If Staal can be moved for a 2nd, I think Byron can too. That's another 3.5M. Then there's always buying out Alzner. This would generate the cap space needed for the Danault and Gallagher raises. Not sure Tatar wants to stay. And in the post you replied to I mentioned we could sign Hall if we traded Domi for futures this offseason.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Remember Allen and Weal come off the books next year. That's 6M. If Staal can be moved for a 2nd, I think Byron can too. That's another 3.5M. Then there's always buying out Alzner. This would generate the cap space needed for the Danault and Gallagher raises. Not sure Tatar wants to stay. And in the post you replied to I mentioned we could sign Hall if we traded Domi for futures this offseason.
Do we really wanna invest around 12.5m for both Gallagher and Danault , god no please.

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020
Laine would cost a lot. Only way I see us having a chance is if we traded Danault or Domi for a dman they want and then package that dman with whoever wasn't traded between Danault and Domi, plus add Caufield.

The plus on Laine is he just turned 22. Hall will be 29 in November.

I'd take Hall if he wanted to come here. I'd have to see what Laine would cost.

Yeah I doubt the Jets are giving Laine away for anything less than one of Domi/Danault and a defenseman (and maybe more). Problem is, I don't think Laine is as good as either one of Domi or Danault, so to trade either one of them for Laine would be a bad move imo, in addition to the extras MTL would have to include to land him.

Sure Laine is younger, but Hall is a much better player. But here's the thing, Hall makes the team better now, not just in terms of what he brings on the ice, but also what he'd cost. All it takes to acquire Hall is cap space, no roster players need to be shuttered (except for cap clearing moves). To get Laine, you have to subtract significant pieces from the roster. So not only are you getting a worse player, but the team is getting worse in the process, since you're gutting the roster to get the worse player.

As for the ages thing, Montreal should be focusing on winning now anyways. Price, Weber, and Petry won't be super effective for long, so MTL should focus on trying to maximize their chances of winning right now. Laine may prove to be a better asset than Hall in 5 years, but in 5 years Price will be 38, Weber will be 40, and Petry will be 37. Sure a 27 year old Laine is likely going to be better than a 34 year old Hall, but at that point it won't matter much; the Habs likely won't be in a position to contend anyways.

Reactions: 26Mats

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Yeah I doubt the Jets are giving Laine away for anything less than one of Domi/Danault and a defenseman (and maybe more). Problem is, I don't think Laine is as good as either one of Domi or Danault, so to trade either one of them for Laine would be a bad move imo, in addition to the extras MTL would have to include to land him.

Sure Laine is younger, but Hall is a much better player. But here's the thing, Hall makes the team better now, not just in terms of what he brings on the ice, but also what he'd cost. All it takes to acquire Hall is cap space, no roster players need to be shuttered (except for cap clearing moves). To get Laine, you have to subtract significant pieces from the roster. So not only are you getting a worse player, but the team is getting worse in the process, since you're gutting the roster to get the worse player.

As for the ages thing, Montreal should be focusing on winning now anyways. Price, Weber, and Petry won't be super effective for long, so MTL should focus on trying to maximize their chances of winning right now. Laine may prove to be a better asset than Hall in 5 years, but in 5 years Price will be 38, Weber will be 40, and Petry will be 37. Sure a 27 year old Laine is likely going to be better than a 34 year old Hall, but at that point it won't matter much; the Habs likely won't be in a position to contend anyways.

The thing is though that it will be a lot easier to convince Winnipeg to deal Laine to us then it will be to convince Hall to sign with us. So if a reasonable deal is on the table for Laine you can't pass that up because you hope to be able to sign Hall.

Reactions: Miller Time

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Same core for 5 more years zzzzzzzzzz

Our only hope over the next 5 years is that KK and Suzuki emerge quickly as if not stars close to it, and that these players we'll re-sign like Gallagher and Petry, plus Price and Weber, won't break down too fast and/or decline with age.

Less than 2 weeks until the UFA market opens. I think MB will go after Hall. I also think Hall will choose another city over us, like Duchene, Tavares, Lucic, Bonino, etc..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad