Who would you rather acquire: Laine, Hall, or Ekman-Larsson?

Who would you rather acquire: Laine, Hall, or Ekman-Larsson?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah I doubt the Jets are giving Laine away for anything less than one of Domi/Danault and a defenseman (and maybe more). Problem is, I don't think Laine is as good as either one of Domi or Danault, so to trade either one of them for Laine would be a bad move imo, in addition to the extras MTL would have to include to land him.

Sure Laine is younger, but Hall is a much better player. But here's the thing, Hall makes the team better now, not just in terms of what he brings on the ice, but also what he'd cost. All it takes to acquire Hall is cap space, no roster players need to be shuttered (except for cap clearing moves). To get Laine, you have to subtract significant pieces from the roster. So not only are you getting a worse player, but the team is getting worse in the process, since you're gutting the roster to get the worse player.

As for the ages thing, Montreal should be focusing on winning now anyways. Price, Weber, and Petry won't be super effective for long, so MTL should focus on trying to maximize their chances of winning right now. Laine may prove to be a better asset than Hall in 5 years, but in 5 years Price will be 38, Weber will be 40, and Petry will be 37. Sure a 27 year old Laine is likely going to be better than a 34 year old Hall, but at that point it won't matter much; the Habs likely won't be in a position to contend anyways.

Yes, this gets to the heart of the matter.

My only questions for you are: can the Habs contend now with young KK and Suzuki leading the way down the middle? Or is the time to contend when they hit their prime in 5 years? We should be able to find a 3c to replace Domi and Danault by then. We could move Price, Weber, and Petry for future #1 goalie and D prospects. At any rate they're not getting moved. If I were Timmins, I'd focus on drafting their replacements. Primeau is nice to have. But he's not a sure thing. We have good depth of quality d pl rospects, but no real #1 candidate - since losing Sergachev.

We really could have used that 8th overall pick.

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020
The thing is though that it will be a lot easier to convince Winnipeg to deal Laine to us then it will be to convince Hall to sign with us. So if a reasonable deal is on the table for Laine you can't pass that up because you hope to be able to sign Hall.

Oh yeah if there's a reasonable deal on the table for Laine, by all means go for. I'm not suggesting the Habs stay away from him entirely, he still is a great player after all. I just don't see the Jets trading him for anything less than an insane package, something that (imo) wouldn't make sense for the Habs.

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020

My only questions for you are: can the Habs contend now with young KK and Suzuki leading the way down the middle? Or is the time to contend when they hit their prime in 5 years? We should be able to find a 3c to replace Domi and Danault by then. We could move Price, Weber, and Petry for future #1 goalie and D prospects. At any rate they're not getting moved. If I were Timmins, I'd focus on drafting their replacements. Primeau is nice to have. But he's not a sure thing. We have good depth of quality d pl rospects, but no real #1 candidate - since losing Sergachev.

Yeah I think if the plan is to try and build a contender around KK and Suzuki then trading Weber/Price/Petry needs to be explored. The Habs are chasing two rabbits, so to speak: they're trying to compete with guys like Weber, Price, and Petry, while also trying to build a future contender around Suzuki and Kotkaniemi. Problem is they need to pick a lane, trying to do both things at once all but ensures that neither will be accomplished.

Reactions: 26Mats

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Timmins need to do one thing and one thing only, draft the best player available.

Suzuki and KK might not ever be good enough to lead the way down the middle. KK had to go to the AHL this year because his sophomore year was a struggle. Suzuki had a good rookie season with 41pts, but that doesn't mean he will become a legit top center.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Timmins need to do one thing and one thing only, draft the best player available.

Suzuki and KK might not ever be good enough to lead the way down the middle. KK had to go to the AHL this year because his sophomore year was a struggle. Suzuki had a good rookie season with 41pts, but that doesn't mean he will become a legit top center.

I only say Timmins can take a D instead of a forward because he's much better at drafting D than forwards. Other than that caveat, yes, always take the BPA. Unfortunately, that's not their philosphy. I will say, I could see their philosophy of drafting for need when they go for D.

For example the last 2 drafts, they admitted they were targeting LD and NOT drafting BPA. It got us Romanov, Harris, Struble, Norlinder, and Fairbrother. I will say, if we had been targeting forwards in those two drafts, I just don't have confidence in Timmins to draft a forward 5 forwards with those picks that have as much potential as these 5 D have. I would expect more DLR's, Crisps, Andrighettos, and Olofssons.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I would go for OEL no doubt. Pay with our 1st this year and next, add Alzner and Byron as dumps and add a « B » prospect or 2 like Poehling, Brook, Hillis or Harris.

then trade Domi for a pick in the 10-12 OA range and draft the best available forward. Then sign an offensive talent like Hoffman or Dadonov (I think Hall will be to costly). Finally trade 2 x 2nds for Anderson.

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Dadonov-KK-Armia
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Evans-Ylonen
Weal

OEL-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Edmundson-Romanov
Kulak

Price-Allen

You then replace guys like Tatar and Gallagher by guys like Caufield and the forward you pick at 10-12 this year and eventually guys like Norlinder and Struble replaces older D and Romanov get to climb up the chart.

While you lost me before, this part sealed it.....Finally trade 2 x 2nds for Anderson. And then tossing him on the first line? Ouch. Talk about overpayment for a guy with one good not amazing season and injury issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad