Who would you rather acquire: Laine, Hall, or Ekman-Larsson?

Who would you rather acquire: Laine, Hall, or Ekman-Larsson?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Hall seems very unlikely at this point (assuming edmundson signs)...

Btw Laine and OEL, tough call. Laine would be the better long-term need fit, as our stable of prospect Dmen is pretty solid, especially compared to the complete lack of top-6 wingers after Caufield.

OEL would be a better overall upgrade to the lineup for the next 2-3 years though...
OEL-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Edmundson-Romanov
Kulak, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury

that's a loaded d and one that would enhance the effectiveness of our forwards, whereas adding Laine but having only Petry on the back end to provide any real offensive zone/PP support somewhat diminishes the overall impact.

Likely quite moot, hard to see MB pulling off a "net add" roster move for a top talent... not his mo

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
It's funny how 68% of the people want Laine most, but he's last on my list - by far. He'll cost too much in assets and cap space. Which is of more value, Hall, Domi, Caufield and 16OA or Laine? OEL, I would trade for if we can squeeze Phoenix based on his contract. 16OA and some mid-roster players/prospects. We could fit either Hall or OEL - given how unlikely it is we get either, whichever is possible we should definitely go for it.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Do people not get that Laine is basically Drouin, but a slightly worse passer and an insane shot?

He's very valuable, but you got to be able to effectively insulate him. He's also 100% going to be overpaid on his next contract. Like, he's getting Marner money and won't worth it. Montreal can probably insulate him AND pay him, but man, you're much better off just going after a Hoffman compared to giving up what people on here are speculating he's worth.
Dude what, your comparing Laine to Drouin? What are you smoking on?

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Laine was 6th in points for RWers last season....if he's available, hes the best RW available by far.
He would be easily our best player and is exactly what we have needed. We finally have the prospect pool to make a deal, I assume they will want Caufield included and that's fine by me.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hall -> Free, would fit nicely as our #1 LW
Laine -> Would cost alot, but fills our biggest need : Goals. Also RW is the weakest part of this club.
OEL -> Nice fit but would cost maybe more than Laine and doesn't fix our biggest need.
Our biggest need is LD without a doubt.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Our biggest need is LD without a doubt.

Timmins is much better at drafting D. I would be much more comfortable counting on the draft to fill the LD need than to find offensive forwads. Therefore, if given the chance to acquire an offensive winger or a D via trade or free agency, all else equal, I'd take the forward.

Timmins has already found 4 #1 dmen in the draft (McDonagh, Subban, Streit, and Sergachev).

Our cupboard is full of high quality D prospects: LD: Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Harris, Mete. RD: Brook, Fleury, Juulsen.

Who has he already found as 1st line forwards: Only Pacioretty and Gallagher.

Who's in our cupboard at forward: KK, Caufield, Ylonen, Poehling, Hillis.

KK is good. But he used a #3 overall pick on him - and he's never used a #3 overall pick on a dman. Who would we have on the blueline now if Timmins had used the #3 overall pick he blew on Galchenyuk on a Dman?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
How is Laine overrated?

For starters, he's at least Winnipeg's 4th best forward behind Connor, Sheifle, and Wheeler. It's debatable whether Ehlers is the better overall player. He's big but he plays a perimeter game. He doesn't get his goals from the dirty areas. He's somewhat of a defensive liability. Though that may change. But, he can score - more than Michael Ryder. But is he also limited in other areas as Ryder was?

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
For starters, he's at least Winnipeg's 4th best forward behind Connor, Sheifle, and Wheeler. It's debatable whether Ehlers is the better overall player. He's big but he plays a perimeter game. He doesn't get his goals from the dirty areas. He's somewhat of a defensive liability. Though that may change. But, he can score - more than Michael Ryder. But is he also limited in other areas as Ryder was?
LOL, litterally this season he was one of winnipegs best overall player on the ice all the games i watched, and was almost a PPG with more assists than goals, he was backchecking like a monster alot of games too now, your basing your ridicilous opinion on a players flukey bad season that was the season before. The guy is 8th in goals scored since he came in to the leage and is 22 years old, Ehlers is not even close to Laine skillwise only with skating and defence. But Laines value is FAR greater than what Ehlers is. Even having Laine on the PP alone is more value than what he is lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sterling Archer

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
LOL, litterally this season he was one of winnipegs best overall player on the ice all the games i watched, and was almost a PPG with more assists than goals, he was backchecking like a monster alot of games too now, your basing your ridicilous opinion on a players flukey bad season that was the season before. The guy is 8th in goals scored since he came in to the leage and is 22 years old, Ehlers is not even close to Laine skillwise only with skating and defence. But Laines value is FAR greater than what Ehlers is. Even having Laine on the PP alone is more value than what he is lol.

LOL...

For starters my "opinion" is mainly based on many conversations in the Jets board with Winnipeg Jets fans who watch him every night. They have a very different opinion of him than you. Just because you watch him every night doesn't mean you'll have the same opinion as others who do.

Yes, I would like Laine. Yes, I think he's one of the best goal scorers in the game. But other people who watch him every night raise serious question marks. I will re-state what I said as "in the opinion of many Jets fans" ... I'm not a pro scout. I would need to do much more research to come to my own conclusion about Laine. But these are the conclusions of many Jets fans. If you disagree with them you can debate the points with them in the Jets board. I can only raise their points from an outsider's perspective.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Timmins is much better at drafting D. I would be much more comfortable counting on the draft to fill the LD need than to find offensive forwads. Therefore, if given the chance to acquire an offensive winger or a D via trade or free agency, all else equal, I'd take the forward.

Timmins has already found 4 #1 dmen in the draft (McDonagh, Subban, Streit, and Sergachev).

Our cupboard is full of high quality D prospects: LD: Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Harris, Mete. RD: Brook, Fleury, Juulsen.

Who has he already found as 1st line forwards: Only Pacioretty and Gallagher.

Who's in our cupboard at forward: KK, Caufield, Ylonen, Poehling, Hillis.

KK is good. But he used a #3 overall pick on him - and he's never used a #3 overall pick on a dman. Who would we have on the blueline now if Timmins had used the #3 overall pick he blew on Galchenyuk on a Dman?
We're talking about two different things.

Long term vs short term.

RIGHT NOW our biggest need is LD.

Now should we be trying to improve for right now? That's something else entirely.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We're talking about two different things.

Long term vs short term.

RIGHT NOW our biggest need is LD.

Now should we be trying to improve for right now? That's something else entirely.

It would be so sweet to have OEL playing with Weber on a top pair. And then Petry with Chiarot/Edmundson or even Romanov on a 2nd pair.

But that is a boatload of cap space on the defense and the goalies. It would leave our forward corps quite weak imo. If we could get OEL, capwise, I would be willing to sacrifice not only one of Chiarot and Eddy, but both, to have the needed cap space to address our needs at forward. I would hope Romanov, Mete, and Kulak could do the job of filling out the dcore - or at least those 3 plus one of Chiarot and Eddy.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It would be so sweet to have OEL playing with Weber on a top pair. And then Petry with Chiarot/Edmundson or even Romanov on a 2nd pair.

But that is a boatload of cap space on the defense and the goalies. It would leave our forward corps quite weak imo. If we could get OEL, capwise, I would be willing to sacrifice not only one of Chiarot and Eddy, but both, to have the needed cap space to address our needs at forward. I would hope Romanov, Mete, and Kulak could do the job of filling out the dcore - or at least those 3 plus one of Chiarot and Eddy.
I don't know why the hell we signed Edmunson. 3 mil for a scrub... why? I'd gladly pay 8.5 to OEL and not have Edmunson. All of a sudden we'd have a REAL number one pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad