Who would you be more comfortable giving up in a trade?

Who would you rather give up in a potential Pietrangelo trade

• Total voters

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I've been underwhelmed with his offensive production (3 goals in basically 65 games is pretty bad for a top flight defensive prospect).

Still a real good prospect but hasn't quite produced like I had expected considering the hype around his offensive upside.

I'm no pro scout tho.
He's a teenager.
He won't be a big point producer though.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I think it will be a lower key move. Even with term.

If he takes a big swing, I don't see it being Petro.
Also, how do you plan on fitting him in under the cap?

Yeah, a Kempny type of move is a possibility. People have brought up Nick Jensen as a possibility. He's looked good every time I watched him this season.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Pietrangelo? Doubt he's getting moved.

JVR was the player to trade. Or Komarov, or both. We missed the boat on that one.

Sandin or Liljegren are the most attractive pieces that other teams would want though. AJ and such are more likely to be players that teams already have in their system.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Everyone is worried about Marner and Matthews deals, but it's Kapanen that's going to cause headaches to resign. How much can you realistically give Kapanen? 3.5, 4.5, 5.5?
I don't see how we can keep him and Nylander. I do not like Dubas's promise to Nylander at all.

I think most of us can agree Kappy will be cheaper and might have been a better option going forward factoring in contracts etc. You just can't have 2 #1 C's, an Elite RW and still afford 2 guys who are top 6 right wingers while paying Marleau.

If we can get rid of Zaitsev and Marleau's contracts we will be able to keep a respectable top 4 (with either Gardiner or a Petro kind of guy) and keep Kappy but Dubas did not make it easy for himself.

Reactions: Al14

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Other Gramps here.

No need to trade anyone but Nylander!

Too early to trade Dermott or Sandin IMHO.

Reactions: Faltorvo

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Not a good idea to give up a young "D" (with potential), unless there is some real over payment (that's hard to determine) - Montreal gave up Segachev and I still believe that was a big mistake on their part

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Neither, but clearly this question is an ultimatum with no other options. Pick the proven player, Sandin could be as good, and he could be way better, but he could be worse as well. Dermott is good NHL D, Sandin could be.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
I don't see how we can keep him and Nylander. I do not like Dubas's promise to Nylander at all.

I think most of us can agree Kappy will be cheaper and might have been a better option going forward factoring in contracts etc. You just can't have 2 #1 C's, an Elite RW and still afford 2 guys who are top 6 right wingers while paying Marleau.

If we can get rid of Zaitsev and Marleau's contracts we will be able to keep a respectable top 4 (with either Gardiner or a Petro kind of guy) and keep Kappy but Dubas did not make it easy for himself.
Bride Kappy for 2-3 years until Marleau contract is done, and Seattle expansion opens up the cap a bit. Problem solved. We can and we will!

Reactions: kb

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
We should be willing to move any player on the roster... if the trade is right.

Only a foolish GM actually says that someone is absolutely untradeable.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Dermott cause he’s a regular on our blueline. Whereas Sandin is unknown as an NHLer. I really like both a lot though.

Dermott - Reilly
Sandin - Liljegren

Top 4 looks like we have a chance to build s future around our team needs. 2 way dman who can move the puck.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
I say keep em both to make the cap happen next year. I think we will be pleasantly surprised by this year's end if we do. I doubt we win the cup this year, 2021 is the year. June to be exact.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
IMO if the Leafs are going to give up futures for a dman this is the year to do it.

I get all of us are a little gunshy of trading away young talent due to past mistakes, but IMO Toronto is in a unique situation.

We have heard alot about how they're the first team to have to resign their whole core *before* a cup due to the rising cost of RFAs, but the flip side of that is they are going to have their core for the foreseeable future - not many significant costs coming after 2019-2020.

After the cap hurdle next year they will have Kadri, Rielly, Nylander, Tavares, (assuming they sign) Marner, and Matthews together for at least a few years before any need to be resigned.

Kadri and Rielly will be the first to expire from that group, and at Kadri's age they'll likely move on from him. It's likely they'll have Kapanen and Dermott signed as well.

As has been discussed here alot, the biggest benefit of holding onto futures is you keep your core surrounded with young talent on the cheap, until you either move out the core, or the previous mentioned talent for more cheap, talented depth.

However, IMO moving out talent from this year won't have a huge impact down the road. Toronto has a wealth of wing talent looking for opportunity and chances are one or two pan out. They have some decent looking d prospects as well, but an NHL D core that lacks depth and IMO a top pairing guy. Yes I am aware they have done well this year as a group.

They also have cap space this year, no space next year, and then mostly likely a bit of space in 2020-21.

IMO you roll the dice this year on a top pair dman only if you can pry someone with a package of futures - quantity for quality. You hope that the guys on the Marlies fill the holes of whoever is sent out, and hold onto your assets tight again starting next year. It's also interesting because they can keep both Gardiner and thier trade target for this years playoffs run, and then let Gardiner walk and use the money for their new acquisition.

Theyre going to have to give up one piece that we are all going to hate... I can't see Kapanen being moved anymore, so I think it's likely Dermott, Lil, or Sandin. The 1st from this year is gone, and most likely a 2nd with conditions for turning into another 1st with a finals appearance. Hopefully a guy like Brown still holds a little value (and we can shed his salary for next year while replacing his meagre production with a minimum salary player,) and a B level prospect. Does that get it done? Idk. Fans from both sides will say no and that they hate it, but personally I do it. Go for the cup this year with Gards. I don't think a 1.5 season blip is going to gut the team of their future depth, and could likely fill a huge whole during their biggest window.

Since this thread is about Sandin/Dermott...

Sandin/Dermott
2019 1st
2020 2nd (conditions for a 1st)
Brown
Prospect

For Pie and middle pick.

Flame away. :help:

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Since this thread is about Sandin/Dermott...

Sandin/Dermott
2019 1st
2020 2nd (conditions for a 1st)
Brown
Prospect

For Pie and middle pick.

Flame away. :help:

So you are basically willing to trade away the equivalent of 3 1st's, brown and a prospect for Pie for the next 1.5 years?

That truly guts our ability to plug in cheap youth around our core.... while making our cap a lot tighter without some other moves and some youth moving up to the big club.

We simply cannot afford to deal away Dermott or Sandman. They are the future of our D along with Mo.

Reactions: Faltorvo

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's a cap league. It's really a silly proposal. Leafs would have to add give similar cap to Blues in any trade. Highly unlikely the Leafs are trading future long term Leafs in a trade.
But why is people think Pietrangelo is such a difference maker? Sure he might be for the Leafs, but it's not like he has been on any Blues team that has gone deep in the playoffs.
If I'm the Leafs, I would trade Nylander....he's not needed that much this year and he has similar cap to Pietraneglo. Blues would have to add because of term differences. Or Zaitsev.
But Blues don't have much leverage in any trade, if they wanted to trade Pietrangelo. He has a full NTC and seems entrenched in the St Louis community. Probably few teams/cities he would interested in moving to, but the Leafs might be one.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
We are going to win a cup and afford to keep everyone (and we will except for Gardiner) by keeping our good, young cheap talent on the Marlies. it already worked this year letting JVR and Bozak go and not missing a beat.
We have to be very careful with trading our assets. I would do it, but it has to be for the right player.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Bring on Pietrangelo and then bring on the Cup.

If you could get Pie to agree to an extension prior to trade completion terms then I'd send then Nylander and use his former $7 mil towards Alex' extension now.

My position of needing a major upgrade on D and too much cap money cap on just 4 forwards remains entrenched in belief.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

If you could get Pie to agree to an extension prior to trade completion terms then I'd send then Nylander and use his former $7 mil towards Alex' extension now.

My position of needing a major upgrade on D and too much cap money cap on just 4 forwards remains entrenched in belief.
You've had that belief for a long time, but then we would not have Mitch Marner. You hated that pick.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Would Pietrangelo help the other five defencemen play in their own zone, especially down low? Yes, he’d take Hainsey’s minutes but what about Zaitsev, Oz, Gardiner, Rielly and Dermott? Like Foligno said, it’s easy sledding in the Leafs end.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Agree to an extension prior to the trade almost 2 years in advance? Don't think that'll fly.

If we're trading Nylander we'd be looking at Parayko instead. We can most likely get Pietrangelo without giving up a player like Nylander.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
O.T but any new info on Andersson/Hyman? last I heard Moore and Koopyskallllo were sent down.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00