Who would you be more comfortable giving up in a trade?

Who would you rather give up in a potential Pietrangelo trade

• Total voters

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd agree, but it seems like Dubas is looking to add another long term player like Tavares rather than a rental.

Even still I think he can do that without dealing Sandin or Dermott or Lilly.

A guy like Justin Faulk for example is 26, not a rental can fit in the top 4 and I don't think you need to deal your top prospects to get him, Dermott isn't exactly a prospect at this point but Sandin and Lilly are and I doubt Faulk lands them.

Chungo2

Apr 22, 2018
Don't really want to break the bank in trading developing players.

We need to have a stable core of farm system players to continue success. Once Marner and Matthews are signed, we won't be able to keep players that can command a price tag. We will also have a difficult time attracting free agents.

Trade players that hit there potential that we can't sign reasonably or let them walk. Reload through the farm system. We can have continued success that way as long as the stars keep playing to their level and Dubas makes smart moves.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd give either or both in a heartbeat to get Pietrangelo (with the condition being AP resigns LT in TO).

Neither of these young Dmen of the Leafs would even be the primary piece in the trade at would likely be someone like Kapanen or 1st round pick of higher value.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Sandin and Dermott are like players; Pietro is not. I'm not even talking handedness - we have zero top 4 dmen with size and adding Pietro would give us that dimension. I love Dermott and think I'm going to love Sandin, but they are both smaller.
There isn't much difference between dermott and pie size wise, 3 inches and 7 or 8 lbs, which Dermott can make up in a couple years. And dermott is a bulldog and will improve still.
Sandin is a gem and should become a solid addition. I've always compared him to kaberle and it looks like he should develop nicely in that mold.
All in all I would be happy not giving them up plus other assets for pie.
Just my thoughts.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I like them both but to get a guy who can play #1 right D on our team is worth it. We have no one in our system who can be a guy on the top pair and most likely aren't gonna be able to draft one with how late our picks are. It's a lot easier to draft someone of Sandin/Dermotts potential with a late 1st then a guy of Pietrangelo caliber.

I suppose since Dermott is farther along they'd rather keep him to potentially take Gardiners top 4 spot, while that Rosen signing possibly means he's being viewed as the guy to play the 3rd pairing Left side after Dermott moves up.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Might be slightly more of an upside with Sandin, though he was only drafted five slots higher than Dermott, in spite of being 1st vs 2nd round picks. Could see them prefer to part with Sandin if it came down to either though just because he is still the prospect among the two.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Wonderful question OP. Especially when you try to extrapolate who might be better in 4 years, see Rielly.
Perhaps if you consider who is supporting the posiition?
I want both, but if required I'll move Sandin because I have greater confidence in our LD depth more than our RD depth.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'd give up one of Sandin or Liljegren in a package for Parayko for sure. Not sure if I'd add in Kapanen to that though.

If we're talking about Pietrangelo, I'd be more hesitant unless they take someone back like Zaitsev to work the money out.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I'd give up one of Sandin or Liljegren in a package for Parayko for sure. Not sure if I'd add in Kapanen to that though.

If we're talking about Pietrangelo, I'd be more hesitant unless they take someone back like Zaitsev to work the money out.

Issue is STL is not giving up Parayko. I can see them moving on from Pietro due to age. Perhaps they put it all together, they have been playing better but I think if they miss the playoffs Armstrong will be blowing it up and performing a mini rebuild.

Reactions: AreBe

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
If had to choose between Dermott and Sandin who had to go would have to say Dermott. Huge Sandin fan though!

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Both are awesome and both should be kept. But Sandin's upside isnt really any higher than Dermott's that it would be worth the gamble
This is true, but at the same age Sandin has been better. I don't think a lot of people thought Dermott would look this good, most had him max a #3; looks like he could be a pretty good/good #2 in his prime.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
IMO, forwards are way more impactful than defencemen.

I'd rather keep both Kap and Willy and trade one of Demott/Sandin.

Everyone is worried about Marner and Matthews deals, but it's Kapanen that's going to cause headaches to resign. How much can you realistically give Kapanen? 3.5, 4.5, 5.5?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
How does trading NHL regular Dermott help the Leafs this year....if it is for Pietrangelo. Both Sandin and Dermot are need long term. Leafs don't have have cap unless similar amount of money is given back to the St Louis. Maybe Zaitsev.
But is Pietrangelo really that good now? Not this year. And his playoff record isn't that good. Yea may not be his fault that St Louis is just a meh team. Don't know why so many truly believe that one RHD is going to put the Leafs "over the top"
For practical purpose...cap and strength of position, I would think Nylander is a more logical player to be traded by the Leafs.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Everyone is worried about Marner and Matthews deals, but it's Kapanen that's going to cause headaches to resign. How much can you realistically give Kapanen? 3.5, 4.5, 5.5?
A two year deal around $3M should get the job done, if I remember the comparables correctly. That would come with the understanding that some of the cap space we'll have at that point will be earmarked for him as long as he stays on the current trajectory.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
This is true, but at the same age Sandin has been better. I don't think a lot of people thought Dermott would look this good, most had him max a #3; looks like he could be a pretty good/good #2 in his prime.
umm yea. Dermott was a team wjcu20 player, he looked to be a possible NHL regular, he had a present/future offensive, fast playing skill set ;)

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
umm yea. Dermott was a team wjcu20 player, he looked to be a possible NHL regular, he had a present/future offensive, fast playing skill set ;)
Yes, and Sandin is also a WJCu20 player and will be next year also. I spent like the entire 2015-2016 season only watching the Knights and other OHL teams - mostly Erie. What Sandin is doing in the AHL against men is more impressive than what Dermott was doing in the OHL at 18, and Dermott was amazing.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Neither you keep both , you dump Nyander and use his 7 million to resign Kappy , Johnson and Gardiner , you fire the D coach and bring in an actual NHL system that the talent we have can excel with .It can still feature lots of D support in the Ozone while actually playing D in our end . Blaming players that have busted their ass to get to this level and are doing the coaches bidding for the failures of a stupid system is ridiculous .

Reactions: KIWILEAFFAN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->