Who would win a 7 game playoff series, Toronto or Boston?

Who would win a 7 game playoff series?

• Toronto would win the series

Votes: 267 33.5%
  • Boston would win the series

Votes: 531 66.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Crazy how close this poll is. This rivalry seems ready to start tilting in the other direction though. Center depth matters.

Bergeron = Matthews
Krejci << Tavares
Who even knows < Kadri

Unless Toronto loses a center iceman I don't see this going Boston's way. Getting Tavares really tilts things.
I’ll give you the second two comparisons, but c’mon, right now Bergeron>Matthews (especially in the playoffs when defence and experience are even more important).

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I’ll give you the second two comparisons, but c’mon, right now Bergeron>Matthews (especially in the playoffs when defence and experience are even more important).

I don't think so man. Matthews is a 40 - 50 goal center. Those don't grow on trees.

*yes fully aware he hasn't put up 50 goals in a season but his GPG would suggest he will given good health.

The way Boston wins is through team chemistry and good systems play. Talent seems to be on Toronto's side now.

WalkwithElias

Dec 24, 2018
The facts are that the Leafs and Bruins went to 7 games the last two series with the Leafs having inferior teams compared to this one. So go ahead and justify your position with your “facts”

Sure, but those facts are facts, until the leafs finally do win a round in the playoffs. Those facts speak true on the leafs fanbase and their arrogance towards every other team in the league.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I’m voting Boston. Leafs are better on paper and in the standings, but until they do it IRL I ain’t giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Just like no one thought the caps would beat the pens until they finally did. Leafs will have to actually do it.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I don’t think last year’s playoff series or 2013’s playoff series means all that much for how Toronto would fare against Boston.

The only players from the 2013 roster still playing for Toronto are Kadri and Gardiner. That should tell you pretty quickly why that series is totally irrelevant to what would happen between them today.

The 2018 playoff series is obviously far more relevant but I don’t think it means that Boston “has their number”. Boston was a very strong team that finished 4th in the NHL with 112 points and 2nd with 47 ROWs, while Toronto finished 6th with 105 points and 9th with 42 ROWs. The reality is that last season, Boston was just a little bit better, in what was a weird series where Matthews was injured and Kadri got suspended. And it still ended up being a 7 game series where Toronto held a lead going into the 3rd period.

This season, Toronto is 2nd in points percentage and 2nd in ROW, while Boston is 9th in points percentage and 8th in ROW. I think Toronto is the better team so I voted them.

Maybe not, but I'd venture a guess and say that the way the Leafs have played against Boston so far this current season would be a terrifying foreshadowing of a playoff series.
Pastrnak would score 22 points against the Leafs again in a 7 game series.

Reactions: Neely2005

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
i think its boston until proven otherwise but the 2013 series should have nothing to do with the decision.

would much rather play them than tampa, and i hope we do. the boys need to get over the hurdle

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Crazy how close this poll is. This rivalry seems ready to start tilting in the other direction though. Center depth matters.

Bergeron = Matthews
Krejci << Tavares
Who even knows < Kadri

Unless Toronto loses a center iceman I don't see this going Boston's way. Getting Tavares really tilts things.
Defense matters

Penguins had better centre depth than Washington last year

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I’m voting Boston. Leafs are better on paper and in the standings, but until they do it IRL I ain’t giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Just like no one thought the caps would beat the pens until they finally did. Leafs will have to actually do it.

Legit argument

Agreed except I think Toronto is better just on forwards

Defense is clearly boston
And you could argue Boston's top line is just as good if not better

But I dig the attitude "think we can beat them, but it's about time they do it without just giving them the benefit of the doubt"

Would be nice if more leafs fans had more humility like this
Would be easier to root for them as a Canadian team to win a cup

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Gun to my head says boston but then i look at the rosters and dont believe that boston will win. Then as a sens fan I thought this in 4 straight series against the leafs and it didnt matter how much more talented the sens were it was psychological. Seems like a similar situation to me.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Toronto has better:
2nd line
3rd line
Starting Goalie

Boston has better:
1st line
1st pair
2nd pair
3rd pair
Backup goalie

Debatable:
PP
4th line
PK...but I think with Chara is back this goes into the Boston column.

Toronto’s 2nd and 3rd line are better than Boston’s by a lot. If Boston can at least narrow the gap on one of those two lines a bit, I think they are better. If Toronto can narrow the gap in the 1st pairing (to counter act Bruins top line), I think they are better. As it stands, I would slightly slightly favor Toronto, but I think that Boston is gonna be able to add to their middle six.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I don't think so man. Matthews is a 40 - 50 goal center. Those don't grow on trees.

*yes fully aware he hasn't put up 50 goals in a season but his GPG would suggest he will given good health.

The way Boston wins is through team chemistry and good systems play. Talent seems to be on Toronto's side now.
History shows Bergeron feasts on better centers than Matthews.

Bruins have two weaknesses - 3rd line center and a 2nd line winger.

Center depth DOES matter but with Bergeron and Krejci they are more than fine.

Sweeney must get that 2nd line winger and the Bruins go back to the top 5 in the NHL.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Points arent everything.

Hes a modern mike green Or bigger version of Krug.

Plus no other D has the luxury of being on an offensive juggernaut team.

ANY other top offensive D playing on the leafs would be putting up similar. Numbers this year .

Rielly is also horrible in his own zone when there's sustained pressure.

Unfortunately Defensmen are also required to play "Defense" something Rielly is average at best

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
We haven't seen a healthy Bruins team yet this season. Games missed.
Bergeron - 16
McAvoy - 20
Chara - 19
Krug - 11
DeBrusk - 9
Carlo - 9
K. Miller - 26
Backes - 5
Vaakaneinen - 30

Rask was also hurt and had to leave the team for personal reasons which is probably why he didn't have a great start to the season.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I'd put my money on Boston today, but also think they're more than likely to add another top 9 forward or two by the deadline.

I understand why Leaf fans are excited as there's a lot of talent out there, but I think their team is constructed more to blow away the bottom half of the league playing end-to-end hockey than grind it out in the playoffs against more structured teams. Too many stretch passes and inconsistent forecheck will have them on their heels against teams like Boston, Tampa, Washington, Pittsburgh.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Let's say Toronto happens to get home ice and Game 7 at Scotiabank Arena would that make the difference or not?

Going into the 3rd of Game 7 in Boston last season the Leafs had a 4-3 lead and if that game is played in Toronto I don't see the Leafs losing.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Gun to my head says boston but then i look at the rosters and dont believe that boston will win. Then as a sens fan I thought this in 4 straight series against the leafs and it didnt matter how much more talented the sens were it was psychological. Seems like a similar situation to me.

Its only in their building...I feel we should gun for home advantage.
This roster used to run their house, they themselves said they gave them way too much respect.
This year is Halak, who has always been unconscious against us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad