Who would win a 7 game playoff series, Toronto or Boston?

Who would win a 7 game playoff series?

• Toronto would win the series

Votes: 267 33.5%
  • Boston would win the series

Votes: 531 66.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I'd put my money on Boston today, but also think they're more than likely to add another top 9 forward or two by the deadline.

I understand why Leaf fans are excited as there's a lot of talent out there, but I think their team is constructed more to blow away the bottom half of the league playing end-to-end hockey than grind it out in the playoffs against more structured teams. Too many stretch passes and inconsistent forecheck will have them on their heels against teams like Boston, Tampa, Washington, Pittsburgh.

Beaten 3 of the 4, and dominated the 4th team.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Beaten 3 of the 4, and dominated the 4th team.

Just think they might be more of a November team when talent shines through more as compared to later in the season when other team's adjust and the more structured teams take over.
Not many teams go far in the playoffs without more structure than what The Leafs have shown. They're a great fast offensive team and will catch a lot of teams off-guard - but that doesn't work as well in a 7 game series and don't think they're that much of a dynamo that they don't have to worry about it.

Reactions: Snowman

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Leafs. I think Tavares will make a huge difference.

This.

The kids in Toronto are another year older, quite a bit wiser, and faster and more talented. The addition of Tavares is massive. This is not the same Leaf team that lost in 7 games last year. Toronto wins this time around.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I'm going to be bold and declare that Toronto does not beat Boston until they beat Boston.

There! Now I fit in with every other prediction on these boards.

/facepalm.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Points arent everything.

Hes a modern mike green Or bigger version of Krug.

Plus no other D has the luxury of being on an offensive juggernaut team.

ANY other top offensive D playing on the leafs would be putting up similar. Numbers this year .

Rielly is also horrible in his own zone when there's sustained pressure.

Unfortunately Defensmen are also required to play "Defense" something Rielly is average at best
Last year he was one of three defensemen to score 50 points or more, play against the top percentile of competition, and put up positive possession stats both raw and relative to team mates. The other 2 were hfdarlings Hedman and Doughty. This year his offensive output is partially attributed to a high oish% but saying he's nothing special would be incredibly ignorant. Comparing him to Mike Green is insulting

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Just think they might be more of a November team when talent shines through more as compared to later in the season when other team's adjust and the more structured teams take over.
Not many teams go far in the playoffs without more structure than what The Leafs have shown. They're a great fast offensive team and will catch a lot of teams off-guard - but that doesn't work as well in a 7 game series and don't think they're that much of a dynamo that they don't have to worry about it.

How come we can't adjust too?

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Gotta go with Boston in 7 here. Although who knows what would've happened if Kadri wasn't a dumb ass and got himself suspended in that series.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Reminds me of the Keith Primeau Flyers vs the Sundin Leafs.

Eventually you get over the hurdle. I expect if they meet this year the Leafs win.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Leafs essentially upgraded Tyler Bozak to John Tavares. That's like trading in a Toyota Corolla for a BMW.

They went 7 games without Kadri for 3 games.

Boston simply doesn't have the depth to contain the improved Toronto offence, its just that simple. The Bergeron line was great at shutting down the Matthews line last season, but now they have to deal with a Tavares line too.

Toronto wins the next meeting.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Toronto, Boston BARELY won it with Toronto's ECHL tier goaltending for 1/2 the series, Babcock's Jr C tier coaching decisions, Naz's goof, Nylander and Matthews' disappearance, Gardiner's goofs and Rielly's meh series.

Boston did NOT get better and the Leafs added JT, Rielly has taken A MASSIVE step forward, Andersen looks even better this year, Bab's lost his plug toys and Mitch and Auston look even better this year.

The fact that Boston is winning says something about the delusions of this website.

There is no serious argument for them winning that is based on anything apart from past data that has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CURRENT TEAMS.

I guess Boston can win IF:
1.Their first line plays lights out
2.Rask plays his mind out
3.Naz gets suspended again
4.Leafs trade for Komarov and put him on the first line instead of Kapanen
5.Auston and Willie disappear again
6.JT disappears as well considering we almost beat Boston WITHOUT him
7.Rielly regresses badly in the playoffs
8.Gardiner returns to his previous season's goof form
9.Andersen plays awful for half the series again

So yeah, I guess Boston can win if those 9 things go well for them, if someone wants to tell me the odds of those things, feel free.
The only one of these things that surely won't happen is the Komarov one...

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He played the last 10 games of the season, during which he had 6 goals and 7 assists.

I guess his shoulder got re-injured between the last game of the season and the start of the playoffs ?

Are you trying to say he would publicly lie about it just so he has an excuse for a poor performance in the playoffs? I'm not sure what people are on about here.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Long answer: That's in your head.

Short answer: No.

As someone else so wisely wrote, few players are 100% healthy when the playoffs start.

Delusional, sorry. He wouldn't make a point of saying he wasn't 100% if it was something 90% of the league was dealing with. I'm aware of the wear and tear and minor things players play with after a long season, this was clearly a little more than that.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Boston and Toronto are going to meet in the first round again this year, and again its going to go to 7 games. The difference will be if Toronto can stop Pasta/The Rat/Bergeron from running wild over them like they did last playoffs. For Toronto to win 2 things need to happen:

1) Matthews/Nylander and whoever is on that line can't disappear like they did against them.
2) Either our 3rd line or whoever needs to find a way to slow down their top line.. Although this time I think we are better suited since we added Tarvares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad