Who would win a 7 game playoff series, Toronto or Boston?

Who would win a 7 game playoff series?

• Toronto would win the series

Votes: 267 33.5%
  • Boston would win the series

Votes: 531 66.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
About as close of a toss up as possible. We can wait a couple months and find out, but i expect it to be 7 games again.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So I think Boston improved its middle 6 with Coyle and Mojo. Toronto added Muzzin, but the left/right thing isn't working out as well as hoped. Lets see what happens with Boston's middle 6.

They are both better teams than last year.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
So I think Boston improved its middle 6 with Coyle and Mojo. Toronto added Muzzin, but the left/right thing isn't working out as well as hoped. Lets see what happens with Boston's middle 6.

They are both better teams than last year.
Boston also lost some depth in Donato who was hit or miss.

Toronto also fixed there depth, Moore on roster and Lindholm gone. + w.e petan can do.
But yeah both much better then last year.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
The Leafs have disappointed me against Boston too many times for me to even homer vote the Leafs here.

I will say last year two of our centres aren’t even in the league anymore (Plekanec, and Moore) along with losing Kadri for 3 games really hurt us and we still were in game 7 with a lead, and we’ve added Tavares since. Our D have improved, but I’m not sure if it’s enough to stop the Bergeron line. I’m not even sure what Babcock has in mind for our pairings as he’s still playing Hainsey on the top pair and limiting Muzzin’s minutes so not encouraging.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Hyman - Tavares - Marner < Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Johnsson - Matthews - Kapanen > DeBrusk - Krejci - Heinen
Marleau - Kadri - Nylander > Backes - Coyle - Johansson
Moore - Petan - Brown >= Wagner - Kuraly - Acciari

Rielly - Hainsey < Chara - McAvoy
Muzzin - Zaitsev <= Carlo - Krug
Gardiner - Dermott > Miller - Grzelcyk

Andersen = Rask

IMO Leafs have better forward depth, while Boston has a slightly better Defence core

3 main factors that will determine the series

1. Will Matthews and Nylander show up. If the Leafs can get all 4 of the big guns rolling at the same time, I dont think Boston can match that. If they dont, not sure if Tavares and Marner alone can win the series.

2. Can anyone shut down the Bergeron line? Probably going to be matched against the Tavares line, if the Bergeron line is limited, I dont think Boston has the depth scoring to counter that. If not, that line will be good for at least 2 goals a game, Pastrnak in particular seems to light us up.

3. Goaltending. Andersen and Rask are roughly equal IMO, so it comes down to whichever is hotter at the time. If one goalie goes into a slump at the wrong time, frankly the team is ****ed

either way, this is about as even a series as you can get, and anyone saying AINEC is flat out wrong

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Incorrect

Boston was in the hunt for a top 6 RW and a 3rd line Center.
Considering that Bergeron is as much of a monster as he’s ever been and that Krejci is having the best season he’s had in a few years, this makes a lot more sense than going after a top 6 C.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Another boston fan explained it to me, last year was different and this years is different, he seemed like a bright spot on the team the way some fans were talking about him, but things change.
He should have been and likely would be, some day. This season he made me think of Zach Hamil.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Boston’s been better so far this year and seem to have Toronto’s number, but the series would go 6 or 7 either way

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto has better:
2nd line
3rd line
Starting Goalie

Boston has better:
1st line
1st pair
2nd pair
3rd pair
Backup goalie

Debatable:
PP
4th line
PK...but I think with Chara is back this goes into the Boston column.

Toronto’s 2nd and 3rd line are better than Boston’s by a lot. If Boston can at least narrow the gap on one of those two lines a bit, I think they are better. If Toronto can narrow the gap in the 1st pairing (to counter act Bruins top line), I think they are better. As it stands, I would slightly slightly favor Toronto, but I think that Boston is gonna be able to add to their middle six.

Once Kadri gets healthy and Brown is moved back to the 4th line I think Toronto has a clearly better 4th line.

Once healthy the 4th line likely becomes Ennis Gauthier Brown, I don't think Boston can match that I don't even like Gauthier but with Ennis and Brown as wingers I still think that gives Toronto the edge.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The Leafs have more wins than the Bruins, less losses, way better goal differential.

Yet if they don't get home ice they'll be in tough.

Home ice is more important in this series than any other.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Boston Defense is far superior to the Leaf's. I also prefer' the Bruins forwards group with their recent additions(more balanced and better 2-way game) although the Leafs forwards are objectively better offensively there's more to hockey than "pure offense" and "stats on a sheets".

The Bruins elephant in the room earlier this year was their secondary scoring: Heinen/DeBrusk have since heated up over the last month (after a MAJOR sophomore slump start) and the Bruins have added 2 40-50pts middle 6 players (Coyle, Johansson) = Problem solved. Although I wish they would of added a better top 6 winger I understand not wanting to overpay for a rental. Next year the middle 6 will be even better with experience/maturity.

The Bruins also have incredible depth on D and a good backup G in case of injury which is a luxury the Leafs don't have.

The Leafs had all the prospects/players/picks to make a trade to improve their defense/2-way game and Dubas failed miserably. I'm still scratching my head as to why Dubas did nothing valuable...

It honestly seems like Dubas is playing a game of EA Sports NHL 2019 with the roster lol. Maybe he'll learn next year maybe not.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Boston Defense is far superior to the Leaf's. I also prefer' the Bruins forwards group with their recent additions(more balanced and better 2-way game) although the Leafs forwards are objectively better offensively there's more to hockey than "pure offense" and "stats on a sheets".

The Bruins elephant in the room earlier this year was their secondary scoring: Heinen/DeBrusk have since heated up over the last month (after a MAJOR sophomore slump start) and the Bruins have added 2 40-50pts middle 6 players (Coyle, Johansson) = Problem solved. Although I wish they would of added a better top 6 winger I understand not wanting to overpay for a rental. Next year the middle 6 will be even better with experience/maturity.

The Bruins also have incredible depth on D and a good backup G in case of injury which is a luxury the Leafs don't have.

The Leafs had all the prospects/players/picks to make a trade to improve their defense/2-way game and Dubas failed miserably. I'm still scratching my head as to why Dubas did nothing valuable...

It honestly seems like Dubas is playing a game of EA Sports NHL 2019 with the roster lol. Maybe he'll learn next year maybe not.

You think getting Muzzin is failing miserably?

I agree the Bruins have better D and we can say Rask is better than Andersen. Just looking at the stats Boston has given up 17 fewer goals this year and that is with Rask's early problems though they got some amazing fill in goaltending) while we have scored 36 more goals.Both stats are dramatically different and speak more about style of play than roster IMO. I think the talent levels are close.

If we are going to beat Boston it will be because we have too many lines to focus on so they will shut down JT and Marner (or try) and Matthews and Kadri will have an easier time.

It would be funny to lose to them again in game 7 but I suspect this one will boil down to home ice.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Once Kadri gets healthy and Brown is moved back to the 4th line I think Toronto has a clearly better 4th line.

Once healthy the 4th line likely becomes Ennis Gauthier Brown, I don't think Boston can match that I don't even like Gauthier but with Ennis and Brown as wingers I still think that gives Toronto the edge.

Well they are used differently. Boston's 4th line will see time against the Leafs middle six in a shutdown role. Regardless, I think it's pretty clear the Boston if more top heavy and has better team D, and the Leafs can put the puck in the net at a high level for 60 minutes.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
You think getting Muzzin is failing miserably?

I agree the Bruins have better D and we can say Rask is better than Andersen. Just looking at the stats Boston has given up 17 fewer goals this year and that is with Rask's early problems though they got some amazing fill in goaltending) while we have scored 36 more goals.Both stats are dramatically different and speak more about style of play than roster IMO. I think the talent levels are close.

If we are going to beat Boston it will be because we have too many lines to focus on so they will shut down JT and Marner (or try) and Matthews and Kadri will have an easier time.

It would be funny to lose to them again in game 7 but I suspect this one will boil down to home ice.

Failed as in not acquiring a couple mobile shut down defensmen or 2-way shutdown players (Kadri is overrated as a "2-way center" imo).
Muzzin is a great pickup but he's another offensive defensmen and doesn't really address their current need "shutdown defensmen"" .
Acquiring Muzzin definitely helped the Leafs but Dubas could of easily picked up Hainsey/Zaitsev replacement for little cost.

There's a good chance our 3rd line will be Johansson-Coyle- Cehlarik. Thats a big, fast and skilled 3rd line that will be no easy task for Kadri.
Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen -1st line, Debrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak - 2nd line, Acciari-Kuraly-Wagner - 4th Line

Heinen has had great chemistry with Bergeron/Marchand and i wouldn't be surprised if he sticks to the 1st line once Pastrnak comes back.

The problem with the Leafs isn't the talent level but the right mix of talent.

FYI i still don't think Boston/Toronto has what it takes to win it this year unless teams like Tampa/Nashville/San Jose/Winnipeg get significant injuries.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Hope it goes to game 7 either way. Been looking forward towards this series (besides my team's) and will ultimately rage if this is not a first round matchup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad