Who would Crosby pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
If this unlikely event happens, Crosby will probably go to either his favourite team (canadiens) or go to a team where he will recieve a decent salary and a chance to be succesful. No team will pay the millions people have been suggested. He hasn't even played in the NHL yet.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Marmax said:
Philadelphie gave 10 millions bucks to Québec to get a 18 years old Éric Lindros. Apple and orange, I know but still.

Totally different. They paid that money to acquire his rights, and everything that goes with that. This guy is suggesting that Crosby would be able to command a 1 year, 10 million dollar deal as a UFA, which is bollocks. I'm sure there 's a team that would pay 10 million to own his rights until UFA age. I'm sure there is no team that is willing to pay a rookie 10 million for one season after which his contract expires.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
NYR469 said:
the entry level cap is on a players 1st contract regardless of if he is drafted or not...junior lessard and thomas pock weren't drafted, but they still had to be signed within the same entry level limits.

There is no CBA anymore therefore there is no rookie cap

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I also think that this is by far the least likely scenerio, I only hope that the NHL works out the draft procedure if the season is cancelled, a more and more likely possibility at this point, before this season is officially called off. In any event, I would guess that it would more likely than not be based in some way on last seasons final finishing order, but exactly how much weight is given to last seasons record is entirely :dunno: . But suffice it to say, the last 6 pages of this have been a nice fanatasy, but if you want a realistic idea of whose sweater Crosby likely will be wearing, barring a trade, look to the bottom 6, 7, 8 or 9 of last year's standings for the most likely candidates.

YellHockey*

NataSatan666 said:

But the rookie cap is in place until a new system is agreed upon.

Crosby would attempt to become a free agent if the draft is not held because the NHL cannot keep him out of the league at age 18. There is no draft then the only other way he can enter the league is as a free agent.

And if he is ruled a free agent then all the other draft eligibles would be free agents as well.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NataSatan666 said:

but there will be a rookie cap under the new cba and teams aren't allowed to sign anyone until the new cba is signed...signing without a cba in place isn't an option

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
He needs to go to a struggling big market team! They should be the ones to offer him the most money and him playing for them would help the league the most. Even though Chicago and LA wouldnt pay him the most, if he were to play for one of those two teams or the Rangers, the NHL would be better off.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:

Crosby would attempt to become a free agent if the draft is not held because the NHL cannot keep him out of the league at age 18. There is no draft then the only other way he can enter the league is as a free agent.

And if he is ruled a free agent then all the other draft eligibles would be free agents as well.

Do you seriously think that the owners are so stupid as to lose control over rookie entry to the league as a result of their own lockout! :shakehead

Part of the new CBA will include, without any doubt whatsoever, the rules of the game for everyone coming in - whether the draft is held or not. The owners have about a two year plan for this labour situation, and losing control over the rookies is simply not going to happen.

Sometimes I wonder where this stuff gets started - Nick Kyprios says something on TSN and is suddenly a labour expert. Sad.

That said, the fantasy nature of the thread is fun. My guess is that if he is smart, he goes with the money and market and NYR get him; if he is loyal to his dad, he goes to the Canadians; if he feels like some sun for a change and a break from the crowds, he does like Wayne and goes far south (maybe Florida?); and if he wants to throw back, he goes to the Canucks and partakes of some dried plant material like someone offered above. ;)

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
BlackRedGold said:

The precedent set by the Maurice Clarett case makes me think the chance of this happening is next to zero.

leafaholix*

Can't they file a complaint about the NHL not allowing them to make a living or something?

Labour laws?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
Can't they file a complaint about the NHL not allowing them to make a living or something?

Labour laws?

they could make the claim and challenge it in court, but there is nothing that says that a player has to be drafted in june. just because that is traditional done, that doesn't mean anything...

it isn't like sidney crosby isn't going to play in the nhl because of this, we'd be talking about the difference between getting drafted in june vs getting drafted in october...

and as far as not being allowed to make a living, teams can't sign him until the lockout is over and he won't get paid till the lockout is over. so does it really make a difference if he is waiting to be drafted or waiting to be signed? either way he isn't getting paid by the nhl...

and it could open a can of worms cause they would have to make all 2005 picks free agents, and what happens if 2006 guys start taking the league to court arguing that if 2005 guys can sign with whoever they want then why can't they?

i think it'll be similar to when florida tried to argue that ovechkin should be elibile for the 2003 draft because of leap years...people will make a fuss about it but nothing will change and they will just hold the draft whenever the lockout ends.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I'd guess Toronto, Detroit, either New York team, Chicago, or Montreal.

YellHockey*

NYR469 said:
they could make the claim and challenge it in court, but there is nothing that says that a player has to be drafted in june. just because that is traditional done, that doesn't mean anything...

The previous CBA, which is in effect until the next CBA is signed, clearly states that the draft much occur in June.

it isn't like sidney crosby isn't going to play in the nhl because of this, we'd be talking about the difference between getting drafted in june vs getting drafted in october...

But he's waiting to negotiate with someone and he doesn't know who. Why must he wait to figure out who owns his rights?

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
nomorekids said:
That's a novel, but sadly unrealistic comment. "Crosby transcends the greedy hockey player mold, and would play for 250,000 to play for his Montreal Canadiens."

That's cute and all, but Crosby is human, and will go where the money is..be it Toronto, be it Boston, be it Anaheim.

Is you perhaps a little bit jealous?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:
The previous CBA, which is in effect until the next CBA is signed, clearly states that the draft much occur in June.

But he's waiting to negotiate with someone and he doesn't know who. Why must he wait to figure out who owns his rights?

but teams can't sign him until there is a new cba and the lockout is over, so what is the difference between waiting to sign and waiting to be drafted??

he'd still be left in limbo and really things would be even more uncertain because if the draft was just delayed players might be able to figure out where they will end up based on the draft order (however that is set)...

also the old cba is NOT in effect until the next cba is signed...the cba expired on sept 15th and there is NO cba right now. if teams could operate under the old cba until a new one was signed then there wouldn't be a lockout...

and they could change all the draft rules under the new cba...they could changed the draft age by 1 year and push crosby & co back to the 2006 draft if they want.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think the obvious destinations would be Mtl, NYR and LA, for reasons already mentioned in this thread.

However, I'd LOVE to see him in Chicago. The best young player to come along since Lemieux (Lindros? Puh-lease) sporting the best uniform in North American pro sports...that would be great.

Hey, maybe with Crosby on board the good hockey fans of Chi-town would even get the chance to see their team on the tube.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Jag68Vlady27 said:
I think the obvious destinations would be Mtl, NYR and LA, for reasons already mentioned in this thread.

However, I'd LOVE to see him in Chicago. The best young player to come along since Lemieux (Lindros? Puh-lease) sporting the best uniform in North American pro sports...that would be great.

Hey, maybe with Crosby on board the good hockey fans of Chi-town would even get the chance to see their team on the tube.

Nah. The second Crosby started hitting the big numbers and wanted his fair shake...ol' Dollar Bill would trade him to Detroit for draft picks ;)

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
nomorekids said:
no, i is not.

i think he's got "the next daigle" written on him more than "the next gretzky."

but that's just my humble opinion.

I don't think that Crosby play for his father like Daigle was doing in the time.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
HF2002 said:
Phoenix? It's not that I want him to go there. If that were the basis of my answer then I think he should pick Ottawa...

I just wonder how much of a draw Gretzky would have? If you're Crosby and his parents, and Wayne meets with you and says that he's one of the few people on the planet who can truly understand Sidney, would you disagree with that? Don't underestimate the pull that Sidney's parents are going to have here.

If you're his parents you know that Crosby will get the money wherever he plays. With so many people wanting a piece of Crosby, and having gone through it himself, Gretzky might be the best guide for him. Gretzky is one of the few hockey people who I think would look out for Crosby's interests while still looking out for the interests of the team he's associated with.
What finer hockey person to have as a mentor then the someone as solid as Gretz. Good post. I would like to see Gretz tell him to start his career in Edm like he did. Tell him his old buddy Kevin will take care of him. I think he owes Kevin one for that dirty no good Nedved.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
With the rookie maximum it is clear that Crosby will choose his team (in case of him becoming a UFA) with his heart. So the Montreal Canadiens are the obvious choice for a lot of us but he may as well go with teams that will win championships and assure him of having big numbers soon so Ottawa, Florida and Atlanta become very attractive. I won't to predict where he will end up. What I'll do is play Bob Gainey and give my arguments WHY Crosby should choose my team, the Montreal Canadiens. As a fan of that team I cannot be really objective so...

1. Rookie maximum is the same every in the league, so he won't get more money elsewhere.

2. Montreal is a hockey crazy city. He will be a god in the province of Quebec and every will be wearing #87's jersey at Bell Centre. He would be the biggest star in the province and get tone of money to endorse products. More than everywhere else because in Quebec hockey is the first sports we love.

3. The chance to help his boyhood team to build a new dynasty. Well, not only the chance of "helping" us out, but the chance of being the next Richard, Béliveau, Roy, Lafleur etc. We have good players in our system and we're a team on the rise that actually makes the playoffs right now unlike Atlanta and Florida.

4. Having Bob Gainey as a GM, a guy that will help him to learn how the win and how to handle the pressure.

5. Playing in a market that he already KNOWS. No adaptation, no new journalist (he already have all Quebec's guys on his back). Plus, in Quebec he is already loved and admired.

6. Having the chance of being pretty close to home (10 hours or so) and having the chance for the team that draft his father.

7. Paying alot of taxes :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad