Who would Crosby pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safir*

Crosby to the Thrashers? Uhhh...sound fine with me. :D

The one-two punch of Crosby & Spezza would also get approval from me. :yo:

IMO the Hawks will be the lucky one and get Crosby.

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
Money? Toronto certainly has more to spend than Montreal does.

How about Detroit? That would certainly be interesting.

Crosby is not about millions... he is about Hockey...

L.A. could be a nice choice since his best buddy Eric Neilson as been draft by them... another trick by the Kings i guess

Or montreal since they are his fave team

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
CrosbyIsGod said:
Crosby is not about millions... he is about Hockey...

L.A. could be a nice choice since his best buddy Eric Neilson as been draft by them... another trick by the Kings i guess

Or montreal since they are his fave team

That's a novel, but sadly unrealistic comment. "Crosby transcends the greedy hockey player mold, and would play for 250,000 to play for his Montreal Canadiens."

That's cute and all, but Crosby is human, and will go where the money is..be it Toronto, be it Boston, be it Anaheim.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
nomorekids said:
That's a novel, but sadly unrealistic comment. "Crosby transcends the greedy hockey player mold, and would play for 250,000 to play for his Montreal Canadiens."

That's cute and all, but Crosby is human, and will go where the money is..be it Toronto, be it Boston, be it Anaheim.
it's not like montreal can't send him a couple of millions ! :speechles

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
nomorekids said:
I don't really think he's the best prospect since Lemieux, personally. I think Lindros was a better prospect, and if you asked me if I"d rather have Lindros-91 or Crosby-05, I'd take Lindros without a second of hesitation. People forget just how good Eric Lindros was for a very long time.

You might have a good arguement there. Too bad his health and his ego will be all he is remebered for.

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
nomorekids said:

i'm not saying 250 000$ but i'm can assure you that if Montreal offer him a realistic offer, he will accept, he don't want to play in Rangers or team like that

Crosby is human, yeah, but human do not always think about money, of course americans are for most of the part

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
CrosbyIsGod said:
i'm not saying 250 000$ but i'm can assure you that if Montreal offer him a realistic offer, he will accept, he don't want to play in Rangers or team like that

Crosby is human, yeah, but human do not always think about money, of course americans are for most of the part

Really? I guess the owners FORCED Jarome Iginla to take 8 million from the cash-strapped Calgary Flames, then. As a pious Canadian, he'd never do that. If the Rangers offer Crosby 2 mil to start and the Habs are offering 1.5....Habs fans can talk about how overrated he is, and how he and Balej are the two biggest busts in recent memory.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Montreal doesn't spend alot not because it doesn't have the money, but because the organization isn't stupid enough to spend rediculous sums of money on stupid decisions.

Well, not anymore at least. They learnt their lesson.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
CrosbyIsGod said:

why woud he not want to play for the Rangers? You don't know that. Maybe he likes the spotlight.

Thats why were more powerful. :lol

leafaholix*

It's too bad Alexander Ovechkin wasn't born in late '86, he's a Leafs fan and quite fond of Owen Nolan... it would have been nice having Crosby in Montreal and Ovechkin in Toronto, that would raise the rivalry to a totally new level.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
nomorekids said:
Yeah, because he does it for "the love of the game," a new concept, apparently.
I think we should give Crosby a chance and not label him as a greedy money-centered player, I think you do realize that Crosby would probably not go to Nashville, for a few reason, and that is even if Crosby decides to go to the town that offers him the lowest/sends him a birthday card/has the cutest kids. Just because your team doesn't get Crosby doesn't mean that you should be envious of Florida, or Atlanta who have an outside chance at getting Crosby, by saying that Crosby is only about the money. That way of thinking doesn't even make that much sense. Crosby will get endorsement deals, and will make a huge sum of money over his playing years, and he might not play for the same team for 20 years. If Montreal offers 1.5m, and the Rangers offer 2m, even 3m, Crosby could still very well end up with Montreal. This won't be his "big break", he won't always go where the money is, because he knows that the money will come to him either way.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
19bruins19 said:
Money? Toronto certainly has more to spend than Montreal does.

How about Detroit? That would certainly be interesting.
MONTREAL
I would think that gillette? would pony up if Sidney came a courting. For a chance at getting a francise player that wants to be their doesnt happen everyday.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
littleHossa said:
I think we should give Crosby a chance and not label him as a greedy money-centered player, I think you do realize that Crosby would probably not go to Nashville, for a few reason, and that is even if Crosby decides to go to the town that offers him the lowest/sends him a birthday card/has the cutest kids. Just because your team doesn't get Crosby doesn't mean that you should be envious of Florida, or Atlanta who have an outside chance at getting Crosby, by saying that Crosby is only about the money. That way of thinking doesn't even make that much sense. Crosby will get endorsement deals, and will make a huge sum of money over his playing years, and he might not play for the same team for 20 years. If Montreal offers 1.5m, and the Rangers offer 2m, even 3m, Crosby could still very well end up with Montreal. This won't be his "big break", he won't always go where the money is, because he knows that the money will come to him either way.

Did I ever even mention Nashville? No. If they ponied up the most money...would he go there? Probably. People are over-romanticizing this kid, in a serious way. Talking about how he'd pay for drastically less to play for a team that he grew up liking or where he'd have good linemates(?). Crosby, like all players, will go where the money is.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
nomorekids said:
Did I ever even mention Nashville? No. If they ponied up the most money...would he go there? Probably. People are over-romanticizing this kid, in a serious way. Talking about how he'd pay for drastically less to play for a team that he grew up liking or where he'd have good linemates(?). Crosby, like all players, will go where the money is.
It's like you didn't even read my post, but it's nice that you have that mentality. I just don't think that a player that knows that they will get 100m in their lifetime as a player would not go to their favourite team because they can get 110m in their lifetime with the highest bidder.

As for the Nashville part, I think we all know here Nashville will not pony up the most money, it is impossible, they don't have the ressources. If they go 10m in the red, another team could match their offer and still be in the black, your opinion at least as I see it is a bit biased on Nashville's (non)chances with Crosby.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
littleHossa said:
It's like you didn't even read my post, but it's nice that you have that mentality. I just don't think that a player that knows that they will get 100m in their lifetime as a player would not go to their favourite team because they can get 110m in their lifetime with the highest bidder.

As for the Nashville part, I think we all know here Nashville will not pony up the most money, it is impossible, they don't have the ressources. If they go 10m in the red, another team could match their offer and still be in the black, your opinion at least as I see it is a bit biased on Nashville's (non)chances with Crosby.

I'll use the Iginla comparison, again. Why isn't he playing for less money in Edmonton? Because the team he grew up hating in Calgary is willing to give him more money.

As for Nashville...you realize that..they're not Carolina, right? That they actually lost less money than most of the teams in the league? If you offer Atlanta...or even teams like Ottawa or Edmonton...then Nashville could just as easily throw down the money. Leipold hasn't spent...not because he couldn't afford to..but because the team was too bad. Now that the team is GOOD..he's bumped the payroll up to almost 30 million. But it's nice that you have that mentality.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
nomorekids said:
I'll use the Iginla comparison, again. Why isn't he playing for less money in Edmonton? Because the team he grew up hating in Calgary is willing to give him more money.

As for Nashville...you realize that..they're not Carolina, right? That they actually lost less money than most of the teams in the league? If you offer Atlanta...or even teams like Ottawa or Edmonton...then Nashville could just as easily throw down the money. Leipold hasn't spent...not because he couldn't afford to..but because the team was too bad. Now that the team is GOOD..he's bumped the payroll up to almost 30 million. But it's nice that you have that mentality.
Don't start arguments, what is the meaning of "But it's nice that you have that mentality" Nashville _cannot_ compete with the big boys in a bidding war, their playoff run was crutial for fan interest because they still depend a lot on it for revenues, and their payroll cannot be even come close to 60m that the Rangers/Toronto/Wings can spend. (and that's without losing money)

As for Iginla, I posted in another topic about him and I do think that he wanted to get as much money as he could from Calgary, but it's not to portray that even the kindest most loving souls still think money first, there are better men than Iginla in the league. I know for a fact that a lot of people in University are smart enough to realise that you should have a career in what you love, and the money might or might not come. The "average" person who will never have the choice to choose between 3m/year or 5m/year sitll decides to go with the career path that they will like the most, not "where the money is" Some people become lawyers or doctors for money, but a big number of the people do not think money first when it comes to their future, there's no reason to think Crosby isn't like a lot of us also are.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
I'd say Montreal is the strongest possibility if only due to his fondness for the team, Toronto and Boston probably being the least likely options as most of those that grow up as Habs fans would tend to strongly dislike both teams.

This is assuming Montreal is willing to put up a competitive offer that's reasonably close to whomever the highest bidder is.
If Montreal isn't among the top bidders then I could see him going to Ottawa, a talented young team and reasonably close to Montreal or perhaps even Calgary.

If one team offers significantly more $ then any either he'll probably go with them however.

Until I see otherwise I've little reason to believe that Crosby will be any different then then the all but a small handful of players in the NHL that follow $ above all else. Given those handful are usually talented veterans that are already rich, I'm dubious Crosby will be among them.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
he isn't going to be made a free agent, that is by far the least likely scenario possible...but for the sake of arguement lets say he did.

as far as a team like the rangers outbidding everyone, keep in mind that there is a rookie cap (and most likely it will be lowered and limits will be put on incentives and bonuses), so a team like the rangers can't come in and offer him $10 mil. there would be a limit they could offer him and all 30 teams would offer him the max...so that eliminates the $$ factor on the initial contract...

the place that $$ could play a factor is if he looks forward to future contracts, if free agency rules stay the same the team that gets him would control him till he turns 31. so the $$ would be the same for the first contract, but he could potentially make a lot more in the 2nd & 3rd contracts with certain teams.

CH Wizard

Montreal no doubt , I heard him talking on the radio and the guy asked him in which team do you dream to play for , He said MONTREAL CANADIENS !!!

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
If he's a free agent, does that still make him a rookie? if thats the case, then isnt there a rookie maximum, if thats the case, then every team is going to give him the same type of money contract

Even though Im a caps, I'd really like to see the habs sign crosby...they're about due for the next french canadian hockey star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad