Who would Crosby pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
nomorekids said:
I was saying in another thread, I don't even think of Brule as a clear-cut number two, depending on the team that's picking's needs. Jack Johnson is a monster talent as far as d-men go, maybe in the Suter\Phaneuf category. If a team like Columbus or Carolina that has all their offensive chips in a row is picking...I'd be surprised to see him passed over.

I'm hoping the Rangers get Johnson and hes a typical 1st round Sather pick, American born. The last three seasons its gone that way.

Mountain Dude

nomorekids said:
That's a novel, but sadly unrealistic comment. "Crosby transcends the greedy hockey player mold, and would play for 250,000 to play for his Montreal Canadiens."

That's cute and all, but Crosby is human, and will go where the money is..be it Toronto, be it Boston, be it Anaheim.

Perhaps you've already forgotten the fact that he turned down a 3 year 7.5 million dollar contract?

I hope he goes to Edmonton, Montreal, or maybe Ottawa.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:
This is all, of course, under the assumption that there will be no draft, and all '05 eligible players will automatically become undrafted UFAs. I just can't see that happening, and even if it does, isn't there a roster freeze in effect? Would the teams be able to sign these players?

that is exactly why the scenario is extremely unlikely...teams can't sign anyone until after the lockout is over and a new cba is in place and they could just hold a draft when the lockout ends

the league's plan seems to be to cancel the year and go to court to get an impasse then if they win the players will go on strike. but at that point they could hold a draft and sign players and then wait for guys to cross the picket line...

of course if the league loses in court the lockout would probably continue...

crosby would still be draft eligible in 2006, so really i don't see this happening unless the lockout lasts 2 years and guys from this draft class start turning 20

Jennifer

Dec 9, 2003
obscurity
Visit site
but this is all assuming that Crosby will live up to all this clout...

Yes i know what he has done in jrs...and what he is SUPPOSED to do in the NHL...
but what if he chokes...or isnt cut out for the NHL...
would you really want to fork over several millions to an 18 year old KID...

i would give him the standard rookie contract...nothing more...nothing less
and then lets see where he stands in a few years

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
nnifeerj said:
but this is all assuming that Crosby will live up to all this clout...

Yes i know what he has done in jrs...and what he is SUPPOSED to do in the NHL...
but what if he chokes...or isnt cut out for the NHL...
would you really want to fork over several millions to an 18 year old KID...

i would give him the standard rookie contract...nothing more...nothing less
and then lets see where he stands in a few years

well you have to give him the $$ long before he'll prove what he can do in the nhl...

but no team is going to bet against him making it, so teams would be lined up...the only thing that will provent huge offers is the rookie cap

if he doesn't work out the team will look bad but that would be the case if he was drafted 1st and didn't work out too (see ottawa taking daigle) but no one is going to pass on a guy with that much potential because there is the slightest chance that he might not work out

Vic Rattlehead*

danny said:
ITS CROSBY!!!! I would give 10 million for a chance at a possible future gretzky.. belive me GMS have lost 10 million in worse ways. (Like Yashin, Holik)
Go ahead then, spend 10 million on Crosby. I would rather pay him less and try to keep my other young stars with some of that money.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Mountain Dude said:
Perhaps you've already forgotten the fact that he turned down a 3 year 7.5 million dollar contract?

I hope he goes to Edmonton, Montreal, or maybe Ottawa.

Oh, you mean in the WHA? The world truly was shocked when it didn't get off the ground, and it must have been hard for Crosby to pass up a commitment to that serious, serious league.

I hope he signs in Phoenix.

Vic Rattlehead*

nomorekids said:
Oh, you mean in the WHA? The world truly was shocked when it didn't get off the ground, and it must have been hard for Crosby to pass up a commitment to that serious, serious league.

Personally, I would rather see him in Nashville or Carolina. So many people want these two teams contracted for some reason.

Mountain Dude

nomorekids said:

Part of the contract was a a gaurantee that even if the league didn't get off the ground he would still get 2 million bucks. If he was all about money, he would have taken it, he would have been stupid not to take it.

YellHockey*

Money isn't going to play a factor in his decision. He'll get offers for the rookie maximium from all the teams. Even if he is an unrestricted free agent, he still can't get more then the rookie maximium.

As for his decision, he probably wouldn't pick a western conference team because of the increased amount of travel compared to the eastern conference. He also wouldn't pick a weak, small market team.

He can base his decision on three factors:

1) His heart. And he picks his favourite team, Montreal.

2) His desire to win. He wants to be part of a Cup winner and he picks a team like Ottawa or Tampa.

3) Money. He gets the same money anywhere but he wants to endorsement dollars and he goes to either the Rangers or Toronto.

There are some other factors that might come into play as well, like weather or proximity to his hometown.

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
BlackRedGold said:
3) Money. He gets the same money anywhere but he wants to endorsement dollars and he goes to either the Rangers or Toronto.

He already has deals with Sherwood Sticks, Extreme hockey cards and there is talk of a multi year >1 million deal with Reebok/CCM.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Well...

I hope he doesn't pull an Eli or a Lindros (and don't say he won't... because who knows at this point)

In my opinion, while the desire to play for a hometown team (Montreal I guess) will be big, I think there also might be the desire to help be a part of rebuilding a franchise. I know Ovechkin sees that as a good opportunity.

Going to a young team on the rise is probably the best fit for a guy like Crosby. And for the league as well... Helping rebuild a franchise and take them to the playoffs and maybe a Cup is probably the best to promote the league.

Going to a franchise that has established fans and a following might also not be the best idea. I mean, Montreal is still going to have fans with or without Crosby.

Another team could "use" him more.

I'd suggest a team like Los Angeles, the Rangers, Pittsburgh, or even Phoenix could be good suggestions. Washington as well for the homer ideal in me.

Speed Demon

Nov 10, 2004
New Brunswick
thegreatone said:
Montreal no doubt , I heard him talking on the radio and the guy asked him in which team do you dream to play for , He said MONTREAL CANADIENS !!!

To add to this; I was on a VIA rail train coming home from a vintage Montreal game vs. Toronto in Montreal, and the train picked up Sidney Crosby in Rimouski at 3 AM or something. Anyways, around 12:00 pm or so, I was amazed to see him in the dining car and I sat there and talked to him about hockey and stuff and he said that if he could play anywhere, he would play for Montreal. My brother later walked into the dining car with a Montreal Canadians jersey on and Sidney commented, "Nice shirt."

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
Yea, I heard the Sportsnet guys talking about this yesterday during the start of the Rimouski Gatineau game.
If there is no draft in 05 and Crosby can declare himself an unrestricted free agent, then can Brule do the same thing? Since they both are under IMG.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I can't read Crosby's mind but for the sake of this post I'll add my 2 cents.

If I were Crosby I would have 6 choices:

1- Favorite Team: Crosby's fav team is Montreal, therefore he would pick them since it would be his dream to play for his fav team, for example if I was as good as Crosby and I had a choice to pick any team to play for it would be the Wings since they're my fav team and it would be a dream to wear the jersey of my fav team.

2- Money: We're all humans and sometimes we want more money, if Crosby is after the most money then I can see him playing for NYR, Detroit, Toronto, Philly, or any other team that offers the most money.

3- Future Powerhouse: If Crosby wants to win future Stanley Cups and rack up big numbers then I can see him picking a team with loaded young talent, good examples would be Atlanta and Florida since they have a bright future.

4- Spotlight: If Crosby thinks he could help a franchise and put his name in history then I can see him joining a team that's struggling just so that he can save them and earn the spotlight, of course good examples would be the Rangers, Buffalo, and similar teams.

5- Near Home: There's always a chance that Crosby want's to play somwhere near home and be close to his family, if that's the case then I can see Montreal, Ottawa, or another team close by.

6- Favorite Area: We all have fav areas we like to live in, for example I like hot places and my dream is to one day move to Cali, Crosby could have a fav spot that he wants to live in, if that's the case then it could be any team depending on his fav spot.

Having said all that, we don't even have a CBA set, so until then this is all moo talk.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Phoenix? It's not that I want him to go there. If that were the basis of my answer then I think he should pick Ottawa...

I just wonder how much of a draw Gretzky would have? If you're Crosby and his parents, and Wayne meets with you and says that he's one of the few people on the planet who can truly understand Sidney, would you disagree with that? Don't underestimate the pull that Sidney's parents are going to have here.

If you're his parents you know that Crosby will get the money wherever he plays. With so many people wanting a piece of Crosby, and having gone through it himself, Gretzky might be the best guide for him. Gretzky is one of the few hockey people who I think would look out for Crosby's interests while still looking out for the interests of the team he's associated with.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Speed Demon said:
To add to this; I was on a VIA rail train coming home from a vintage Montreal game vs. Toronto in Montreal, and the train picked up Sidney Crosby in Rimouski at 3 AM or something. Anyways, around 12:00 pm or so, I was amazed to see him in the dining car and I sat there and talked to him about hockey and stuff and he said that if he could play anywhere, he would play for Montreal. My brother later walked into the dining car with a Montreal Canadians jersey on and Sidney commented, "Nice shirt."
What did you think of him?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Vman said:
Yea, I heard the Sportsnet guys talking about this yesterday during the start of the Rimouski Gatineau game.
If there is no draft in 05 and Crosby can declare himself an unrestricted free agent, then can Brule do the same thing? Since they both are under IMG.

they wouldn't do this for just crosby...if in the extremely unlikely event that he is made a free agent, it would have to apply to every 2005 draft eligible player. they can't make special rules for crosby

and that would raise big questions about players in college or planning on going to college...guys in juniors or europe could sign and then remain with those teams, but college guys would have to forfeit their ncaa eligibility. that would mean that a kid like jack johnson would be forced with the dilemma of forgoing college or leaving his nhl future up in limbo

Marmax

Dec 28, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Epsilon said:
What NHL team is going to pay 10 million for an 18 year old rookie? Does anyone who isn't a complete homer think that Crosby could justify that sort of number?

Philadelphie gave 10 millions bucks to Québec to get a 18 years old Éric Lindros. Apple and orange, I know but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad