Who wins the Rocket Richard in 2021?

Who wins the Rocket Richard in 2021?

• Total voters

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
You should at least include the player who led the league in goals per game last season. I voted for that player.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
You're trying too hard.
McDavid's injury history in his first four is actually worse, so are many others like Eichel and of course MacKinnon only played 6 more games in his first four . So I guess you bet the field against them to right? Brilliant system buddy. :laugh:

Actually, as great as he is, it's hard to bet on McDavid for the Rocket as well. He's also a bit injury prone, and he focuses more on being a play-maker than guys like Ovechkin and Matthews. Like Crosby, I expect McDavid will win a Rocket one day, if the more pure goal scorers have a bit of an off year. The problem is, it's hard to peg a year in which it will happen. Matthews is a guy who should, because of his age and talent, win a Rocket one day. Again, the problem is which year is it going to happen? He won't be an easy bet like Ovechkin who ran the table for several years.

I think the more likely scenario is someone getting hot and winning it this year. Short season could be tough to overcome if someone is really hot early. Not someone from out in left field, but still a pretty good player while also a bit unexpected like Pastrnak did last year.

At the end of the day, I don't know what your obsession with Matthews winning the Rocket is. If I were a Leafs fan, I'd much rather win the Cup than have my players win individual awards.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
When did I say that's not true.

You need to still accept the fact that a Montreal Canadiens player has not won that award since it became official in the 1998-99 Season.

I don't have to do anything. I've seen my team win six Cups in my lifetime (was a bit young to remember the early 70's wins), and watched my favorite player be both a regular season hero and a playoff icon. I'm good.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't have to do anything. I've seen my team win six Cups in my lifetime (was a bit young to remember the early 70's wins), and watched my favorite player be both a regular season hero and a playoff icon. I'm good.
What does that have anything to do with no Montreal Canadiens player never winning the Rocket Richard Trophy?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I wonder what the goal total will be for the Rocket winner in this shortened season. Lot of goal scorers start hot out of the gate and then tail off a little in the spring as the grind catches up. 50 is out of the question, but 40 seems like it might be in reach?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I wonder what the goal total will be for the Rocket winner in this shortened season. Lot of goal scorers start hot out of the gate and then tail off a little in the spring as the grind catches up. 50 is out of the question, but 40 seems like it might be in reach?
In the 48 game 2013 season Ovechkin won it with 32 goals and he played in every game. So will a 56 game schedule meaning 8 more games produce a similar result?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
What does that have anything to do with no Montreal Canadiens player never winning the Rocket Richard Trophy?

Like I said, I got to see Lafleur lead the league in goals in both the regular season and the playoffs. You can say he never won the Rocket, and I'll grin right back atcha.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Like I said, I got to see Lafleur lead the league in goals in both the regular season and the playoffs. You can say he never won the Rocket, and I'll grin right back atcha.
Here is that link to every winner of the Rocket Richard winner since it became an official award starting in the 1998-99 Season. As you will see Guy Lafleur's name is not listed as a previous winner. So it does not matter when he lead the league in goals.

NHL Maurice Richard Trophy Winners | Hockey-Reference.com

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Here is that link to every winner of the Rocket Richard winner since it became an official award starting in the 1998-99 Season. As you will see Guy Lafleur's name is not listed as a previous winner. So it does not matter when he lead the league in goals.

NHL Maurice Richard Trophy Winners | Hockey-Reference.com

Actually, you're wrong. It does matter when he lead the league in goals. It's part of the reason he was considered the best player of the time, and part of the reason they became one of the greatest dynasties of all time. Leading the league in goals the way Pastrnak did last year basically amounts to not much. Checkmate.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Actually, you're wrong. It does matter when he lead the league in goals. It's part of the reason he was considered the best player of the time, and part of the reason they became one of the greatest dynasties of all time. Leading the league in goals the way Pastrnak did last year basically amounts to not much. Checkmate.
So please answer this question for me.

When the Rocket Richard Trophy was announced as an official NHL award starting in the 1998-99 Season, how come the league did not retroactively award it to every player who was 1st in goals scored until the 1997-98 Season?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
So please answer this question for me.

When the Rocket Richard Trophy was announced as an official NHL award starting in the 1998-99 Season, how come the league did not retroactively award it to every player who was 1st in goals scored until the 1997-98 Season?

Simple. Because they didn't. You're not very smart are you? It doesn't mean there wasn't a goals leader for those seasons. The very fact that they named the trophy after a guy who is one of the greatest goal scorers of all time, and was long retired, shows you that the NHL does honour past goal scoring greats.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Simple. Because they didn't. You're not very smart are you? It doesn't mean there wasn't a goals leader for those seasons. The very fact that they named the trophy after a guy who is one of the greatest goal scorers of all time, and was long retired, shows you that the NHL does honour past goal scoring greats.
I never denied that Lafleur did not finish 1st in goals scored at one point in his career. I'm just saying for the purpose of history he never won the Rocket Richard Trophy. What about that do you not understand?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I never denied that Lafleur did not finish 1st in goals scored at one point in his career. I'm just saying for the purpose of history he never won the Rocket Richard Trophy. What about that do you not understand?

[mod] I never once said that Lafleur won the Rocket Richard Trophy. Go back through my posts and get back to me.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Actually, as great as he is, it's hard to bet on McDavid for the Rocket as well. He's also a bit injury prone, and he focuses more on being a play-maker than guys like Ovechkin and Matthews. Like Crosby, I expect McDavid will win a Rocket one day, if the more pure goal scorers have a bit of an off year. The problem is, it's hard to peg a year in which it will happen. Matthews is a guy who should, because of his age and talent, win a Rocket one day. Again, the problem is which year is it going to happen? He won't be an easy bet like Ovechkin who ran the table for several years.

I think the more likely scenario is someone getting hot and winning it this year. Short season could be tough to overcome if someone is really hot early. Not someone from out in left field, but still a pretty good player while also a bit unexpected like Pastrnak did last year.

At the end of the day, I don't know what your obsession with Matthews winning the Rocket is. If I were a Leafs fan, I'd much rather win the Cup than have my players win individual awards.
Well let's see. My first post has me picking Ovechkin so maybe the obsession is not mine? I just responded to a weak post.

I wasn't really talking about McDavid for Richard. just as a scoring leader, like Eichel, MacKinnon and a host of other stars with comparable missed games in their first four years.

Your claim about Matthews health was what I was talking about, not his god given right to a Richard. I'm not sure why you felt the need to invent a false narrative beyond now seeing the weakness of your own position. His health is not a sane reason to doubt his goal scoring prowess.

He may never win a Richard but I doubt many on HF would bet money he never wins one unless they were getting great odds. To prove my point I would be happy to wager with you on the issue. How much would you like to bet Matthews never wins a Richard?

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Not including McDavid's rookie season when he had 16 goals and only played 45 games, here is where he finished in goals scored compared to who won the Rocket since the 2016-17 Season.

2016-17: 30 Goals scored which put him 26th in that category, Sidney Crosby won it with 44 goals scored.

2017-18: 41 Goals scored which put him 6th in that category, Alex Ovechkin won it 49 goals scored.

2018-19: 41 Goals scored which put him T-6 in that category, Alex Ovechkin won it 51 goals scored.

2019-20: 34 Goals scored which put him 10th in that category, Alex Ovechkin and David Pastrnak won it with 48 goals scored.

So historically Auston Matthews has been closer to winning it when he was T-2 with 40 goals in 2016-17 and 3rd with 47 goals in 2019-20.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
He may never win a Richard but I doubt many on HF would bet money he never wins one unless they were getting great odds. To prove my point I would be happy to wager with you on the issue. How much would you like to bet Matthews never wins a Richard?

Even the post that you replied to suggests that I would not accept the bet, as I clearly state " Matthews is a guy who should, because of his age and talent, win a Rocket one day."

Now read the title of the thread. "Who wins the Rocket Richard in 2021?" How much would you like to bet that it's Matthews that wins it this year? When I state that it won't be a Hab or a Leaf that wins it (which is how all this started), I'm dead serious. I'll bet on someone from one of the other 29 teams winning the Rocket.

Even against both Matthews and Ovechkin, I'd much prefer to take the field. Ovechkin during his prime had 30+ goal seasons. And Matthews will never hold a candle to Ovechkin as a goal scorer.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why is Aho here?
EqVwoNiWMAIVeiP

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Even against both Matthews and Ovechkin, I'd much prefer to take the field. Ovechkin during his prime had 30+ goal seasons. And Matthews will never hold a candle to Ovechkin as a goal scorer.
Since Matthews rookie season he's only been #2 in goals scored and that ranks right behind Ovechkin who has scored more goals during that time frame. So he's becoming one of the best goal scorers.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
So historically Auston Matthews has been closer to winning it when he was T-2 with 40 goals in 2016-17 and 3rd with 47 goals in 2019-20.

Look at it like Ovechkin and Crosby. Ovechkin is the better goal scorer, with Crosby being the better offensive player overall. Ovechkin won way more Rockets, but Crosby still managed two. This is how it should play out between Matthews and McDavid, once the old guard advances too far in age. Crosby and Ovechkin only had to contend with Malkin for scoring supremacy during their primes.

The difference with today is that Matthews isn't nearly as good as Ovechkin. And there are a lot of players that could reasonably contend for the Rocket (the usual suspects like Ovechkin, Pastrnak, McDavid, MacKinnon, Draisatl, Eichel, and Kucherov), not to mention the ones that could come out of the woodwork like a Kane, Laine, or Stamkos.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Since Matthews rookie season he's only been #2 in goals scored and that ranks right behind Ovechkin who has scored more goals during that time frame. So he's becoming one of the best goal scorers.

Actually, he already is. There's a big difference between being among the best, and actually winning.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Look at it like Ovechkin and Crosby. Ovechkin is the better goal scorer, with Crosby being the better offensive player overall. Ovechkin won way more Rockets, but Crosby still managed two. This is how it should play out between Matthews and McDavid, once the old guard advances too far in age. Crosby and Ovechkin only had to contend with Malkin for scoring supremacy during their primes.

The difference with today is that Matthews isn't nearly as good as Ovechkin. And there are a lot of players that could reasonably contend for the Rocket (the usual suspects like Ovechkin, Pastrnak, McDavid, MacKinnon, Draisatl, Eichel, and Kucherov), not to mention the ones that could come out of the woodwork like a Kane, Laine, or Stamkos.
I would not include Eichel because in his career he's only scored 30+ goals one time and it was last season when he had 36 goals. So do you see him passing Matthews, McDavid, MacKinnon, Pastarnak, Draisaitl, and Ovechkin in most goals scored in a season?

In 2016-17 when Matthews finished T-2 with 40 goals that was with Kucherov who also scored 40 goals. However since he won't be playing in the upcoming regular season he should not be included in the discussion right now. So when he's ready to play the 2021-22 Season he could be a favorite.

Reactions: Thenameless

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Actually, he already is. There's a big difference between being among the best, and actually winning.
You can also say Matthews was unlucky finishing 1 goal behind Ovechkin and Pastrnak last season, along with the fact 82 games was not able to be played. So he could have either won the award himself or there might have been a three way tie or just sharing it with Ovechkin or Pastrnak. It's too bad will never know what would have happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad