Who wins the Rocket Richard in 2021?

Who wins the Rocket Richard in 2021?

• Total voters

andrjusha

Mar 15, 2008
Fairfax, VA, USA
Voted OV but definitely will be harder this year,
eg last year he had 0.52 goals per game vs teams in current east division and 0.8 goals per game vs rest of the teams.

Somebody please calculate for other likely contenders.

PS
For AM it is the opposite, 0.71 GPG vs north, 0.66 vs rest

Last edited:

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
While your first opinion is obviously brilliant and insightful your second simply comes off as bitter and petty.

Says the guy whose team hasn't had a player win the Rocket or its equivalent in who knows how long. Who's the bitter one again?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Matthews has a better chance of winning it compared to anyone currently on the Canadiens roster.

Absolutely, and he still won't win it. The Leafs are also better than the Habs. Doesn't mean the Leafs are going to win the Cup. Who cares about "having the better chance"? Close the deal, or don't.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Absolutely, and he still won't win it. The Leafs are also better than the Habs. Doesn't mean the Leafs are going to win the Cup. Who cares about "having the better chance"? Close the deal, or don't.
So even though in his career Matthews has finished T-2 with 40 goals which was 4 behind Crosby in 2017 and 3rd with 47 goals which was 1 goal behind Ovechkin and Pastrnak means he won't win it. I don't know how else I can respond to a comment like that expect I feel sorry for you.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Ovechkin is the most reliable and best option on any given season.

However with the current division realignments, I chose Matthews. Ovechkin will be playing much stronger teams than Matthews throughout the year.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
So even though in his career Matthews has finished T-2 with 40 goals which was 4 behind Crosby in 2017 and 3rd with 47 goals which was 1 goal behind Ovechkin and Pastrnak means he won't win it. I don't know how else I can respond to a comment like that expect I feel sorry for you.

You just illustrated my point. Matthews is talented, among the best. But with his injury history and his cold spells, I'll take the field every time. There are too many other talented goal scorers out there, to bet on a guy that seems to get injured with regularity.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You just illustrated my point. Matthews is talented, among the best. But with his injury history and his cold spells, I'll take the field every time. There are too many other talented goal scorers out there, to bet on a guy that seems to get injured with regularity.
You forgot that when Matthews finished T-2 for the Rocket in 2017 he played all 82 games and when he finished 3rd in 2020 he played all 70 games. So if he's healthy and able to play all 56 games he's got a legit chance of winning it this year.

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
I think Matthews wins it. Its between him and Ovi for me.

Zibanejad is too much of a gamble even though it would be cool since no Swede has won it yet.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Says the guy whose team hasn't had a player win the Rocket or its equivalent in who knows how long. Who's the bitter one again?
Lol. So in your world every fan of every team that hasnt won certain individual major awards is bitter about? You get that is everyone but Washington on the Rocket right? I'm sorry but that is insane. Thanks for playing.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You do know that the Rocket Richard award was first awarded in the 1998-99 Season and has only been around for 22 years. In that time it's also been dominated by Ovechkin who's won it 9 times between 2008 - 2020.

Also it's funny your comment to @BlueBaron is funny because no Montreal Canadiens player has also won it. In fact here is a list of teams who's had a player that has already won it.

NHL Maurice Richard Trophy Winners | Hockey-Reference.com

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
You do know that the Rocket Richard award was first awarded in the 1998-99 Season and has only been around for 22 years. In that time it's also been dominated by Ovechkin who's won it 9 times between 2008 - 2020.

Also it's funny your comment to @BlueBaron is funny because no Montreal Canadiens player has also won it. In fact here is a list of teams who's had a player that has already won it.

NHL Maurice Richard Trophy Winners | Hockey-Reference.com

You can't read? My post clearly states the Rocket or its equivalent (as in the goal leader for a given season). You know, like my avatar, that guy might have won it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You can't read? My post clearly states the Rocket or its equivalent (as in the goal leader for a given season). You know, like my avatar, that guy might have won it.
Except when the player in your avatar lead the NHL in scoring they did not retroactively give those players the award when they finished 1st in goals scored. So no matter what you say a Montreal Canadiens player has never won the Rocket Richard Trophy since it became an official award in the 1998-99 Season.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You're trying too hard.
McDavid's injury history in his first four is actually worse, so are many others like Eichel and of course MacKinnon only played 6 more games in his first four . So I guess you bet the field against them to right? Brilliant system buddy. :laugh:

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You're trying too hard.
McDavid's injury history in his first four is actually worse, so are many others like Eichel and of course MacKinnon only played 6 more games in his first four . So I guess you bet the field against them to right? Brilliant system buddy.

Desperate.
That's something I always hated because it seemed to be a double standard saying Matthews is always injury prone, however there is those examples of other players who have been hurt more than him.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Except when the player in your avatar lead the NHL in scoring they did not retroactively give those players the award when they finished 1st in goals scored. So no matter what you say a Montreal Canadiens player has never won the Rocket Richard Trophy since it became an official award in the 1998-99 Season.

No matter what you say, the award is named after a Montreal Canadiens player, not a Leaf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad