Who will the Avs actually take at #2?

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
What do we think of Adam Larsson compared to next years defensemen (ie Murray). Chances are if we don't get a good goalie through free agency or a trade, were going to be bottom dwellers again. Obviously, Yakupov (Spelling) is probably a better prospect than Landeskog, so how much better is Murray then Larsson or is it the other way around?

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado
I really hope we don't see the Avs fail so badly they have Yakupov in their sights... though the kid's name is NAIL...

Doesn't matter. Avs would never in the world pick a Russian in the 1st round, much less first overall.

maple8

Dec 28, 2009
Doesn't matter. Avs would never in the world pick a Russian in the 1st round, much less first overall.

People are always saying things like this, but just out of curiosity, has there ever been a time when the Avs passed on a clear BPA that was Russian/European in favor of an American/Canadian?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Uhhhh, they felt Shattenkirk was better. That's a terrible example.

Well whoever they take they obviously think he's the best player available. Another example would be Kabanov. The last time the avs drafted a Russian was Parshin that was 7 years ago. I don't see them drafting another Russian any time soon.

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado
People are always saying things like this, but just out of curiosity, has there ever been a time when the Avs passed on a clear BPA that was Russian/European in favor of an American/Canadian?

It stems from the fact that the Avs organization is famously anti-Russian, and generally anti-Euro as well. We've drafted 4 Europeans in the past 5 drafts, in rounds 4, 6, 6, and 7. The last Russian we drafted was Parshin in 2004, who shows no interest in coming to NA. Not a single Russian we've drafted has played more than 70 games for the Avs; in fact only 1 has played more than 3. This is despite spending 2 firsts, a second, and 2 thirds on Russian players. Avs are done with Russians, and I don't blame them at all when you consider recent history. Look at Filotov, Radulov, Zherdev, Kabanov, and Nabakov.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
It stems from the fact that the Avs organization is famously anti-Russian, and generally anti-Euro as well. We've drafted 4 Europeans in the past 5 drafts, in rounds 4, 6, 6, and 7. The last Russian we drafted was Parshin in 2004, who shows no interest in coming to NA. Not a single Russian we've drafted has played more than 70 games for the Avs; in fact only 1 has played more than 3. This is despite spending 2 firsts, a second, and 2 thirds on Russian players. Avs are done with Russians, and I don't blame them at all when you consider recent history. Look at Filotov, Radulov, Zherdev, Kabanov, and Nabakov.

I don't think that the Avs are special in this regard right now. Since the lockout, it seems NHL teams will pass on anything other than a sure fire Russian or perhaps even Euro player in favor of taking a NA. Given the increase in quality of the American College system in developing players, the increasing quality and ability to pay in the European leagues, and transfer agreement issues, it just makes sense to avoid anything other than special non-North American talent.

I am not saying that there are not potentially okay to good NHL quality players in Europe that perhaps could play in the NHL that get skipped over, just that the risk + the depth of quality players in NA to begin with = less need/desire to risk it.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
I'm hoping for Larsson or Couturier at number 2. Both have had their games picked apart more so than other guys because of how long they've been touted as 1-2. Their demise has been greatly exaggerated and both played with big time injuries this year that slowed them down (Couturier with Mono, Larsson with a really bad groin injury, plus a bad shoulder in the playoffs).

I think Couturier has Joe Thornton type potential. He had a better PPG than Huberdeau on a far worse team yet Huberdeau gets all the praise for having more offensive talent. Couturier is also a beast defensively. He'd give us some nice size down the middle and allow us to play Duchene on the wing.

The Angry Teatowel

@AngryTeatowel
Aug 11, 2009
Kent, UK
www.eurolanche.com

No, it is not a fact. It is internet speculation which, the last time I checked, did not count as a fact. Just because the Avs have deemed NA players to be the BPA over any other nationality at the time they were picking (this point generally gets overlooked), it doesn't mean that they're anti anyone. Yes, they do tend to take NA players but that is more likely that they prefer the NA junior system. If the likes of an Ovechkin, Malkin, etc was available when it was their pick, you can bet the Avs would draft them. THAT is a fact.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
I'm hoping for Larsson or Couturier at number 2. Both have had their games picked apart more so than other guys because of how long they've been touted as 1-2. Their demise has been greatly exaggerated and both played with big time injuries this year that slowed them down (Couturier with Mono, Larsson with a really bad groin injury, plus a bad shoulder in the playoffs).

I think Couturier has Joe Thornton type potential. He had a better PPG than Huberdeau on a far worse team yet Huberdeau gets all the praise for having more offensive talent. Couturier is also a beast defensively. He'd give us some nice size down the middle and allow us to play Duchene on the wing.

I'm with you about Couts, he's a complete player and i don't see him being pick lower than 4th overall, i actually would not be mad if we did pick him at second or trade down a few spots with the Devils and pick up some assets on the way.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I'm with you about Couts, he's a complete player and i don't see him being pick lower than 4th overall, i actually would not be mad if we did pick him at second or trade down a few spots with the Devils and pick up some assets on the way.

I think he could fall down to Ottawa easy.

Oilers: RNH
Avs: Larsson
Panthers:Lando

Good odds that this is how the top 3 go.

NJ: Huberdeau

Huberdeau seems like a Devils type of player. Could easily see them go that route. Not 100% sure of the Devils organizational depth, but given the talent they already have up front, they may also consider drafting a D man like Hamilton or Murphy. May also see them trade down 1-2-3 spots to take one of those 3 guys.

NYI: ?

You never know what the Islanders are going to do. They could really use to add a big D man, so Hamilton might fit.

Ottawa: Couturier

Hard to see the Sens not draft Couturier unless one or two of the other clubs goes REALLY off the board and some how one of the other big prospects drops.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Then we should trade up to no.7 or 8 for Ryan Strome. This year's Jeff Skinner.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
My hope is either Larsson or Couturier at 2nd overall and Zibanejad, Siemens or Biggs at #11.

NWAvs

Jan 20, 2009
Seattle
I'm actually kinda wanting cuti aswell.. We neeeeeeeeeeeed size. But I'm not sure about Dutch on wing... I want larsson most though.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Any chance Colorado sees Dougie Hamilton as the best defenseman and go with the OHL guy?

At this point in Colorado's off-season, I'm really just trying to guess any potential surprises.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Any chance Colorado sees Dougie Hamilton as the best defenseman and go with the OHL guy?

At this point in Colorado's off-season, I'm really just trying to guess any potential surprises.

The only surprise will be amongst members of this fanbase that expect MASSIVE CHANGES to occur this offseason. Here are the next 4 months in a nutshell

-Sacco won't be fired
-neither Bryzgalov nor Vokoun will be signed
-Liles won't be traded
-whoever Colorado drafts will be a source of major kvetching

You don't like it, I don't like it, it's going to happen, book it

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
What do we think of Adam Larsson compared to next years defensemen (ie Murray).

I gotta be honest with you, if there's two highly rated dman prospects that're both up there then I'd go with the CHL one over the US college one and sometimes over the SEL one. Murray I haven't seen play since I follow OHL and not WHL but I don't think Larsson is as safe a pick as we think. I can guarantee you that one of Huberdeau (who looked fantastic in the first Mem Cup game), Landeskog, Strome, or possibly Couturier is gonna be more valuable than Larsson. Larsson at best will be as good as EJ. How good is EJ? Number one dman I guess but offense ceiling is 50-55 pts, good on defense with occassional lapses. Larsson...not as high of an offensive ceiling and don't think he'll be as dominant in his own zone. So in your scenario, I'd go with the dman next year. BUT I'd take a forward at 2nd and dman at 11th....simply because we can get a good top four dman at 11th, less certain about the forwards their.

And with Yakupov, Avs take him if he's available, just like they would've taken Ovechkin or Malkin at 2 if they had the choice. Besides, Yakupov plays in the OHL and not just starting next year so that plays in his favour even if he's Russian. But let's hope they sign a goalie this year so we don't have to draft Yakupov.

asmodeanreborn

Jun 14, 2010
Longmont, CO
I can guarantee you that one of Huberdeau (who looked fantastic in the first Mem Cup game), Landeskog, Strome, or possibly Couturier is gonna be more valuable than Larsson.

I'm saving this. About a month ago (during the SEL semifinals) I talked to somebody on the "inside" of Tre Kronor. This was his comment about Larsson (roughly translated):
"This is the guy Tre Kronor will be built around in 5-6 years."

Also, I hope your avatar is sarcastic.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
And with Yakupov, Avs take him if he's available, just like they would've taken Ovechkin or Malkin at 2 if they had the choice. Besides, Yakupov plays in the OHL and not just starting next year so that plays in his favour even if he's Russian. But let's hope they sign a goalie this year so we don't have to draft Yakupov.

You'd think the Avs would take Yakupov, but after a year of scouts and people on HFBoards picking him apart, they'll find other no.1 picks and deviate from the long held consensus.

But that will only be next year. This year, it's been Landeskog all the way. Amiright?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad