Who will the Avs actually take at #2?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The only surprise will be amongst members of this fanbase that expect MASSIVE CHANGES to occur this offseason. Here are the next 4 months in a nutshell

-Sacco won't be fired
-neither Bryzgalov nor Vokoun will be signed
-Liles won't be traded
-whoever Colorado drafts will be a source of major kvetching

You don't like it, I don't like it, it's going to happen, book it

I don't mind it. I understand exactly what Colorado is trying to do with the CBA. I did want Sacco canned when the Avalanche still had a chance last season, but I can live with him getting another 15 game shot.

The Angry Teatowel

@AngryTeatowel
Aug 11, 2009
Kent, UK
www.eurolanche.com
I don't mind it. I understand exactly what Colorado is trying to do with the CBA. I did want Sacco canned when the Avalanche still had a chance last season, but I can live with him getting another 15 game shot.

I don't mind it either. In fact, I fully support it. The Avs front office, despite the general consensus around internet boards, knows better than we do.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If Sakic wasn't involved in the front office i would say the Avs make yet another mistake and draft the wrong players and waste their 1st round picks, who they end up trading later.

All the crap about we don't draft Europeans, we only go for N/A players this team believes in get's on my nerves.

As if teams don't win with Europeans? I guess Wings never won with Lidstrom as their best player and captain right?

But i hope Sakic talks some sense into the management and start making the right moves. If Larsson is the second best player in the draft, just pick him, so what he's European?

maple8

Dec 28, 2009
I'm saving this. About a month ago (during the SEL semifinals) I talked to somebody on the "inside" of Tre Kronor. This was his comment about Larsson (roughly translated):
"This is the guy Tre Kronor will be built around in 5-6 years."

Also, I hope your avatar is sarcastic.

Is this insider counting on Larsson to play in the SEL for another 5-6 years then?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
If Sakic wasn't involved in the front office i would say the Avs make yet another mistake and draft the wrong players and waste their 1st round picks, who they end up trading later.

All the crap about we don't draft Europeans, we only go for N/A players this team believes in get's on my nerves.

As if teams don't win with Europeans? I guess Wings never won with Lidstrom as their best player and captain right?

But i hope Sakic talks some sense into the management and start making the right moves. If Larsson is the second best player in the draft, just pick him, so what he's European?

Such as? You have to admit this team has nailed the draft over the last 2-3-4 seasons, maybe longer...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Such as Shattenkirk, Stewart. Just a couple of first rounders i could think of recently the Avs drafted and traded.

I don't think you can consider that a waste at all. Those players turned into our future rock and possible team captain in Erik Johnson.

A "waste" would be if we failed on our picks and grabbed players who turned into busts. This team is a fine drafting squad and manages to find good (if not great) players when we rarely are picking top 10.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I don't think you can consider that a waste at all. Those players turned into our future rock and possible team captain in Erik Johnson.

A "waste" would be if we failed on our picks and grabbed players who turned into busts. This team is a fine drafting squad and manages to find good (if not great) players when we rarely are picking top 10.

That may be true, but if it's gonna take two 1st round picks to get one player back, the progress of this team going forward will be delayed, and probably delayed for a while.

All i'm saying is, if this team isn't willing to sign FA's, then they should put that (we only go for character guys who are N/A's) aside, and pick players who are the best in the draft, and will have the best chance at sticking around for a while and helping this team win.

Edit: If they traded for players like Hunwick because they thought he's a character guy, they didn't look for the most important fact, the guy sucks at playing hockey. How about hockey first then character?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
That may be true, but if it's gonna take two 1st round picks to get one player back, the progress of this team going forward will be delayed, and probably delayed for a while.

All i'm saying is, if this team isn't willing to sign FA's, then they should put that (we only go for character guys who are N/A's) aside, and pick players who are the best in the draft, and will have the best chance at sticking around for a while and help this team win.

Not necessarily. Also consider draft positions....it was like trading 14th overall (Shatty) and 18th overall (Stewart) for a 1st overall (EJ). Plus we get a high pick, plus the other stuff thrown in.

I don't see how you can see that as "delaying the process" when one player is definitely more of a piece of our future compared to a winger and an offensive minded defender.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Not necessarily. Also consider draft positions....it was like trading 14th overall (Shatty) and 18th overall (Stewart) for a 1st overall (EJ). Plus we get a high pick, plus the other stuff thrown in.

I don't see how you can see that as "delaying the process" when one player is definitely more of a piece of our future compared to a winger and an offensive minded defender.

Again, getting EJ was probably a good move, but what i'm saying i hope they don't waste their up coming picks, i hope they go for the best players available, even if they aren't such character guys, or North Americans.

Besides, building character is much easier than building hockey talent. If Larsson is the best player available at #2, but he's not such character guy and N/A, pick him anyway, if he can play hockey, who cares if he's a quiet guy who doesn't speak English very well, and doesn't clown around the locker room and shows character?

maple8

Dec 28, 2009
Huh? Tre Kronor is the Swedish National team, not an SEL team. Larsson is expected to be the cornerstone of the National team no matter which league he ends up playing with.

Thanks for clarifying. I did not know what Tre Kronor was.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Again, getting EJ was probably a good move, but what i'm saying i hope they don't waste their up coming picks, i hope they go for the best players available, even if they aren't such character guys, or North Americans.

Besides, building character is much easier than building hockey talent. If Larsson is the best player available at #2, but he's not such character guy and N/A, pick him anyway, if he can play hockey, who cares if he's a quiet guy who doesn't speak English very well, and doesn't clown around the locker room and shows character?

The fact is that Larsson isn't lacking in character, remember a guy named Joe Sakic he wasn't loud, he lead by example, just as Larsson.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The fact is that Larsson isn't lacking in character, remember a guy named Joe Sakic he wasn't loud, he lead by example, just as Larsson.

I was just making an example, i mean i don't know much about Larsson, what kind of a person he is etc...I just hear and read about him as being the best d-man in the draft and the 2nd best over all player, so i think the Avs should pick this guy, specially considering how the Avs lack good blue liners.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I was just making an example, i mean i don't know much about Larsson, what kind of a person he is etc...I just hear and read about him as being the best d-man in the draft and the 2nd best over all player, so i think the Avs should pick this guy, specially considering how the Avs lack good blue liners.

2nd best overall only because of NA bias. Taking everything I saw in the consideration (i saw all 3 of RNH, Larsson, and Landeskog), I think that Larsson has the best potential, and is the smartest player of all 3 of them.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
How many times have you seen RNH.

Quite a bit, I didn't catch only 10 - 11 games this season , i have a cousin in Kitchener, and Saskatoon, so I've seen Landeskog play when I was in Kitchener (about 15 times), and my cousin (he's crazy about junior hockey, and he follows every team from the WHL) from Saskatoon sends me DVD's from WHL. So i'm pretty informed on what i'm talking about. Only CHL league that i don't follow is QMJHL, not that I would't want to, but i have no way of watching it.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Quite a bit, I didn't catch only 10 - 11 games this season , i have a cousin in Kitchener, and Saskatoon, so I've seen Landeskog play when I was in Kitchener (about 15 times), and my cousin (he's crazy about junior hockey, and he follows every team from the WHL) from Saskatoon sends me DVD's from WHL. So i'm pretty informed on what i'm talking about. Only CHL league that i don't follow is QMJHL, not that I would't want to, but i have no way of watching it.

Really?..

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

So am I and RNH is the best player in this draft period. Though it's close with Larsson, others.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Plus I think that Edmonton will pick Larsson. They want a player that is ready to make the jump to the NHL next season. Don't get me wrong RNH has great hands and vision, but I think that Larsson is better by the slightest of margins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->