Who will the Avs actually take at #2?

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
I'm thinking Landeskog but would not be at all surprised to see it be Larrson. Either way, I think they get a great player and if it's one of those two they make the opening right roster.

I'm more intrigued by #11. Do they trade it? I'd been hoping for Sven Bartchi at that slot but after a strong WHL playoffs I think his stock goes up and he gets taken before #11.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Honestly, does anyone really expect the Avs to pick a Swede at #2? Seems somewhat unlikely given their draft history. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Avs pass over both Larsson and Landeskog to pick a good old Canadian boy like Huberdeau. It'd be disappointing (I personally want Larsson), but hardly surprising.

I am actually expecting the Avs to select Huberdeau now. I don't no why that would be disappointing.

People are now saying the Huberdeau has the best hands in the draft. I suspect that he will be viewed as someone with a higher ceiling than Landeskog.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What kind of player will Huberdeau be in the NHL?

Can he be that goal scoring LW we need?

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
What kind of player will Huberdeau be in the NHL?

Can he be that goal scoring LW we need?

I've heard Patrick Kane comparisons, as well as Simon Gagne and Claude Giroux.

Yes, it looks like he will be a LWer in the NHL. Has the ability to play center too but looks to be a winger.

I won't be too upset if we choose him. I have confidence in our scouts either way.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
I've heard Patrick Kane comparisons, as well as Simon Gagne and Claude Giroux.

Yes, it looks like he will be a LWer in the NHL. Has the ability to play center too but looks to be a winger.

I won't be too upset if we choose him. I have confidence in our scouts either way.

I've heard Claude Giroux a lot.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I would bet my left foot that this source doesn't exist but it's just a pundit playing the odds.

For all the sources media claims to have, they sure does seem to be caught by surprise every time Avs actually does something.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Larsson, but I want Huberdeau or Landeskog.

If we don't take Larsson, I bet it's Landy. He screams exactly what this organization LOVES.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
There's good news. I found a site that claims a source close to the Avalanche confided that "the club will select Swedish defenseman Adam Larsson if available."

http://nhlhotstove.com/three-good-things-over-three-straight-days/

I guarantee this "rumor" is bogus. There is no way in hell this tight-lipped organization would let something like that slip through the crack.

It would be absolutely Pejorative Slured to give away our draft strategy, and no team would give away info like that this far in advance.

Doyle

Feb 18, 2006
Bill is a credentialed reporter and has been in the press box for years. His exact words were "I've been told by someone close to the Avs that they'll take Larsson if he's available."

Take it for what you will, we don't make up rumors. Just a small group of writers trying to make it in this big industry...

PS. We are an HFB Partner site, if we wanted to get cheap hits off of this for rumor mongering, I would have done it myself :)

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Larsson is looking like a legit possibility then. I honestly didn't imagine that Avs management would be stupid enough to leave behind the consensus top 2 pick for the last 2-3 years. Landeskog does have appeal but Larsson would be a smarter, safer move IMO.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Bill is a credentialed reporter and has been in the press box for years. His exact words were "I've been told by someone close to the Avs that they'll take Larsson if he's available."

Take it for what you will, we don't make up rumors. Just a small group of writers trying to make it in this big industry...

PS. We are an HFB Partner site, if we wanted to get cheap hits off of this for rumor mongering, I would have done it myself :)

Well Adrian Dater is a credentialed reporter, and seems to pull stuff out of the air all the time. Most notably the Stastny to LA "rumor".

I just don't know what being "credentialed" has to do with anything, they are still humans trying to get people to read their blogs and maybe make a name for themselves just as you said. I'm not saying he just made this "rumor" up but who knows what his source is. Someone close to the organization could really be anyone. For all we know its the friend of a friend who happens to play hockey with Sakics kid.

I guess rumors are rumors and I guess I can choose to ignore it because there is no "real" source to this one. Until I hear something out of Sherman, Lacroix, Pracey, Sakic etc. its probably not valid information just hearsay.

I not here trying to rip on your co-worker/friend whatever Bill, as I'm sure he is a good reporter, is to you. All I'm saying if he is not willing to quote his source then its hard for me to believe and others should also take it with a grain of salt.

Why should anybody believe a source that is "someone close to the organization", its very vague and leaves a lot of room for error.

EDIT: if anybody took the time to see when that article was written, you would notice that it was written over a month ago, things change, that article is now sadly outdated.

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
1) The article is outdated (and I noticed that) but an organization bent on drafting Larsson isn't changing over night.
2) While this isn't much evidence, it's more than we have for Landeskog. Many of us assumed Landeskog because of comments made and past drafting history. All suppositions. This reporter actually claims to have heard from a source close to the organization that they will draft Larsson if available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad