Who will the Avs actually take at #2?

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
I'm pretty confident that the Avs will take Larsson in light of what people are saying and those (admittedly weak) sources. Why is that annoying? I'm definitely not anti-Larsson, but I'm leaning towards not minding Landeskog or another forward. Confidence in the Avs selecting Larsson isn't necessarily a sign of favoring him (I still do atm though).

Whats "do their drinks"?

It was a joke. You are pro-Larsson (not anti) and you want Stastny gone. Majority of the posters outside the avs forum share your viewings. I just said "do to their drinks" as what did you do to get people so convinced.

Calm down bro.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
It was a joke. You are pro-Larsson (not anti) and you want Stastny gone. Majority of the posters outside the avs forum share your viewings. I just said "do to their drinks" as what did you do to get people so convinced.

Calm down bro.

Oh. No worries I'm completely calm. But it's definitely hard to detect sarcasm and jokes on forums ;) I thought you genuinely were annoyed by this.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Oh. No worries I'm completely calm. But it's definitely hard to detect sarcasm and jokes on forums ;) I thought you genuinely were annoyed by this.

Nah it takes a lot to get me annoyed/pissed. Unless you bash Bogosian or Kane. Then its personal. :sarcasm:

NHL33*

It was a joke. You are pro-Larsson (not anti) and you want Stastny gone. Majority of the posters outside the avs forum share your viewings.

Ha ha, this forum was very anti-Stastny not too long ago. It seems ever since the Dater rumor, and subsequent trade proposals from other teams, there has been increased defensiveness and possessiveness over Stastny.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Ha ha, this forum was very anti-Stastny not too long ago. It seems ever since the Dater rumor, and subsequent trade proposals from other teams, there has been increased defensiveness and possessiveness over Stastny.

Good! The kid is a stud! <3

Stastny love aside I wouldn't hesitate to move him if it meant improving the team. I don't want him gone nor do I have a over bearing feeling of keeping him around. He just gets too much heat that isn't deserved at times.

NHL33*

Good! The kid is a stud! <3

Stastny love aside I wouldn't hesitate to move him if it meant improving the team. I don't want him gone nor do I have a over bearing feeling of keeping him around. He just gets too much heat that isn't deserved at times.

People need to stop expecting a game changer in Stasts -- he can be that occasionally, but he has never shown that consistently; he's a safe minutes eater who can contribute steadily, and often quietly. I simply wish he would shoot more since he's much more dynamic offensively then. Either way, everyone gets hung over him being up to $1M overpaid...and I have no ****ing idea why, given the team isn't going challenged for cap room anytime soon.

I too would trade Stastny in the right deal. For example, a #2 defenseman in return or a package around a blue chip package that can become that player.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
TBH, I don't care who we take with the 2nd. As long as we don't end up like Atlanta wasting our picks on mediocre defensemen and 3rd liners. :sarcasm:

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
People need to stop expecting a game changer in Stasts -- he can be that occasionally, but he has never shown that consistently; he's a safe minutes eater who can contribute steadily, and often quietly. I simply wish he would shoot more since he's much more dynamic offensively then. Either way, everyone gets hung over him being up to $1M overpaid...and I have no ****ing idea why, given the team isn't going challenged for cap room anytime soon.

I too would trade Stastny in the right deal. For example, a #2 defenseman in return or a package around a blue chip package that can become that player.

Agreed on all accounts. I would love if we could get a no. 1 dman for him (obviously need to add) but won't happen. I expect his next contract to be fair, Giggy paid on potential and hasn't shown that yet. Sherman has given very fair contracts.

He is a no. 1 center who can step it up when it mattered (i.e. Nucks game to clintch playoffs last year, 5 points in 6 playoff games last year while shutting down thornton's line). People just need something to pick on and its just stupid at times.

He will be a great no. 2 behind Duchene but I suspect they'll just end up rotating a no. 1 role down the line with Duchene being more dynamic and Stastny being more safe.

TBH, I don't care who we take with the 2nd. As long as we don't end up like Atlanta wasting our picks on mediocre defensemen and 3rd liners. :sarcasm:

*crack knuckles*

box_chocolate.jpg
= U!

PCH8851.jpg
= ME! After I am done with you!

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Given the Avs ability to develop forwards and the general ability to find a scoring winger via UFA or trade being easier than a D man, you have to take Larsson.

Make the easy call, take Larsson.

Then work the phones as hard as you can to trade up with the 11th pick, Hishon, and/or Barrie/Elliott to get into the top 6 to select Couturier.

If the top 5 goes

RNH - Oilers
Larsson - Avs
Lando - Florida
Huberdeau - NJ
NYI - ?
Ottawa - ?

I think the best chance to get back to the top 5 would be the Islanders pick, I could see them dealing that pick for 11, Hishon, Stoa, and Holos. Would be harder to give up Barrie/Elliot + the 11th, but I would do it. Ottawa and NJ might make a move, but NJ is good enough that they don't really need to trade for a broader depth of talent, they probably will want to target one guy. Ottawa needs a splash to recharge the club, so again, I don't see them going for depth over the draft day impact.

I REALLY doubt that Florida would move their pick, but if they would take the 11th, Hishon, and Barrie for the pick, hands down you do it and select Lando, but that won't happen.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
This site does not take any team needs into consideration. It's based on the highest potential

Not that it would be wrong to do so, if you follow the best player model of drafting. It makes sense to pick 1 d man and 1 forward, but if you don't like the guys on the board versus their actual value, you go the D route or trade down.... though clearly this is a lesson the Avs still need to learn, see Hishon.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This site does not take any team needs into consideration. It's based on the highest potential

Yup, i know that site lists the players in order, but if you think about what the Avs need, it makes sense that they pick 2 d-men, something this team lacks the most.

If i see or at least hope where the Avs are headed for the future, pick two top d-men in this draft, sign or trade for a #1 goalie, and maybe Mueller and Flash will be healthy to play next year, if not, they can always find good forwards via free agency or trades easier than finding good d-men.

Having Larsson and Johnson on the blue line sounds good to me.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I want a forward at 11. Hishon is really the only promising forward prospect in the system, that's something that needs to be addressed

maple8

Dec 28, 2009
Not that it would be wrong to do so, if you follow the best player model of drafting. It makes sense to pick 1 d man and 1 forward, but if you don't like the guys on the board versus their actual value, you go the D route or trade down.... though clearly this is a lesson the Avs still need to learn, see Hishon.

Not sure I follow, what's this mean?

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
Regarding contracts and FG over paying Staz on potential, Sherman has over paid on contract re-signings too, Quincey is over paid by about 1-1.5m.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Regarding contracts and FG over paying Staz on potential, Sherman has over paid on contract re-signings too, Quincey is over paid by about 1-1.5m.

His hit is 3.125. Is it a bit much? Maybe. Quincey had a decent 25 games with the Avs then sucked, relatively, after (this was his contract year). He also showed potential the season before with the Kings as well (something people over look). Overall his play during his contract season was of a top 4 dman worth 2.5 - 3M. His contract is pretty fair. Plus its only for two years. We'll know what will happen to Quincey after this season.

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY

I think this is where most people have an issue with him. They are still expecting him to be able to take over games night in and night out. Once you stop expecting that from him, you enjoy his play a lot more lol

Christian Litscher

May 24, 2010
I think this is where most people have an issue with him. They are still expecting him to be able to take over games night in and night out. Once you stop expecting that from him, you enjoy his play a lot more lol

Well he the team's best player, highest paid player, and has the ability to take over games. I can't blame them. I'm not one to complain about Staz, but sometimes he does leave you wanting more.

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
My opinion changes every day.

Today, I'm set on Larsson.

So, tomorrow it's Landeskog.

maple8

Dec 28, 2009
I'm guessing he means the Avs could have traded down and still got Hishon...even though it's been suggested that other teams had him on the radar right behind the Avs.

Oh, yeah that's silly. The Avs even said after the draft that they asked around about trading down but weren't sure they could still get him so they stayed put and got their guy, which was the right call.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
Larsson EJ duchene stastny we just need a goalie and we're set

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY
Well he the team's best player, highest paid player, and has the ability to take over games. I can't blame them. I'm not one to complain about Staz, but sometimes he does leave you wanting more.

Yeah, I know where it comes from. But I've stopped expecting that "more" that he leaves you wanting. And I haven't been happier with him then I have in years :laugh:

Larsson EJ duchene stastny we just need a goalie and we're set
Sounds good to me!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->