Who will the Avs actually take at #2?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
1) The article is outdated (and I noticed that) but an organization bent on drafting Larsson isn't changing over night.
2) While this isn't much evidence, it's more than we have for Landeskog. Many of us assumed Landeskog because of comments made and past drafting history. All suppositions. This reporter actually claims to have heard from a source close to the organization that they will draft Larsson if available.

You are missing my point. All I'm saying we shouldn't get all worked into a tizzy because of an article written over a month ago from a writer claiming his source to be "someone close to the Avalanche organization". Who cares if he is credentialed or not, if he can't give the source then its probably just some hearsay he overheard, just like some of the stuff Dater spouts off in his blog.

I mean **** did any of you go to college. If you turned in a paper with a statement like that and said your source was some website I found, what would the result be? You'd get a fat F. This is the same concept.

My point with the date in which the article was written, was around that time RNH and Larsson were widely viewed as the top two prospects. Now I think RNH is still number 1 but I think the view on number 2 has changed and Larsson isn't the consensus number 2 anymore.

So if you want to get all hyped up about this article thats your choice, all I'm saying is its not too reliable.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
You are missing my point. All I'm saying we shouldn't get all worked into a tizzy because of an article written over a month ago from a writer claiming his source to be "someone close to the Avalanche organization". Who cares if he is credentialed or not, if he can't give the source then its probably just some hearsay he overheard, just like some of the stuff Dater spouts off in his blog.

Probably. I'm not getting into a tizzy though, it's just good to hear someone say that Larsson is a real possibility.

I mean **** did any of you go to college. If you turned in a paper with a statement like that and said your source was some website I found, what would the result be? You'd get a fat F. This is the same concept.

This is a forum, not an essay. Trust me; I know how to write and use sources ;)

My point with the date in which the article was written, was around that time RNH and Larsson were widely viewed as the top two prospects. Now I think RNH is still number 1 but I think the view on number 2 has changed and Larsson isn't the consensus number 2 anymore.

Nope. If anything, Landeskog has gone down in hype. Larsson and RNH are now the undisputed top 2.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
But I've heard some convincing arguments as to why Larsson isn't worth it. So I have my doubats about Larsson to begin with. Why wouldn't we suck during the Seguin-Hall or Stamkos years??

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Probably. I'm not getting into a tizzy though, it's just good to hear someone say that Larsson is a real possibility.

This is a forum, not an essay. Trust me; I know how to write and use sources ;)

Nope. If anything, Landeskog has gone down in hype. Larsson and RNH are now the undisputed top 2.

1. Did you honestly think Larsson wasn't a real possibility a 2? I think anyone named Larsson, Landeskog, Couturier, Huberdeau is a real possibility at 2. The Avs could go a lot of ways with the pick. Its virtually impossible to guess as any of the players would be a good call. Its almost not worth our time to speculate.

2. I'm glad you know how to source things, I wasn't singling you out, but people are acting crazy based off a vague article.

3. I disagree I think more scouts are starting to bring Larsson back towards the pack, I will not be shocked if Larsson falls to 4 or 5 or maybe even further in the draft.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
3. I disagree I think more scouts are starting to bring Larsson back towards the pack, I will not be shocked if Larsson falls to 4 or 5 or maybe even further in the draft.

If he goes down it's because of needs. Florida doesn't want defense.

And I thought that Larsson wasn't a possibility mainly because he's European and because Avs really do love Landeskog types. If they go for Landeskog, at least I'll be prepared for the shock.

Our worst season ever, apparently, would equal a complimentary player to Duchene.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Adrian Dater mentioned on live chat for Boston-TB Game 2 (Hockeybuzz) that he thinks Avs will take Larsson. This is a guy who wagered that the Avs would take Landeskog about a month ago.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If Avs pick Larsson or Landeskog will they play in the NHL next year, whats the word on this players? Are they ready, or need time in the minors or whatnot?

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO
I have a feeling the Avs will go for Larsson, but I would not be surprised one bit if they took Landeskog. There is just something about his personality and how he carries himself in interviews that makes him seem appealing to the franchise. But in all seriousness, if the Avs took him for that purpose, I would throw a fit.

No matter what happens, I am confident they will be making the right pick. They have had very successful drafts these last 2 seasons and am not worried. BPA all the way.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Adrian Dater mentioned on live chat for Boston-TB Game 2 (Hockeybuzz) that he thinks Avs will take Larsson. This is a guy who wagered that the Avs would take Landeskog about a month ago.

This is also the same person who had reported that the Avs were interested in picking Etem last year. How did that end up?

His guess is as good as mine and yours.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
No matter what happens, I am confident they will be making the right pick. They have had very successful drafts these last 2 seasons and am not worried. BPA all the way.

I'd say they've been successful for more than that.

2010 - Hish and Pickard have done well so far; I cannot comment on the other prospects
2009 - Duch, RoR, and two WHL Dmen of the year. Not bad.
2008 - Gauce, showing lot of promise, and Olver!
2007 - Shatty, Cohen,
2006 - Stewart
2005 - Stastny

So far most of our picks are solid. Most arguably could challenge for a first round pick if not higher again if their draft was redone.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009

2010 - Hish and Pickard have done well so far; I cannot comment on the other prospects
2007 - Shatty, Cohen,
2006 - Stewart
2005 - Stastny

So far most of our picks are solid. Most arguably could challenge for a first round pick if not higher again if their draft was redone.

You can add Galiardi to 07 draft.

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO

2007 - Shatty, Cohen,
2006 - Stewart
2005 - Stastny

Pretty much what I mean, haha. The Avs have a solid history of drafting. Hence is why I won't get my panties in a bunch over who they draft.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Why would Couturier fall all the way to number #11? That doesn't seem realistic at all.

Where have I herd this before?

*Cam Folwer/Gromely dropping in the previous draft while being touted as two of the top 5 prospects by almost every public scouting source*

Is it improbable with what we know? Yes. Is it impossible? No.

Pretty much what I mean, haha. The Avs have a solid history of drafting. Hence is why I won't get my panties in a bunch over who they draft.

Yep, the Avs have done well with their 1st and/or 2nd choice in the previous past five drafts. They usually end up being one of the better players of the draft (Stastny, Stewart, Shatty, Duchene). I won't get upset either by who they choose be it Larsson to Biggs.

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
Where have I herd this before?

*Cam Folwer/Gromely dropping in the previous draft while being touted as two of the top 5 prospects by almost every public scouting source*

Is it improbable with what we know? Yes. Is it impossible? No.

I didn't ask if it could happen, I was asking why the poster thinks Couturier could slip to #11.

Every draft has a player or two that slip in the rankings, but a close to NHL ready 6'4 forward falling that far just doesn't seem realistic. Especially where he would thrive in a system like the Devils if he was to even make it that far.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
I didn't ask if it could happen, I was asking why the poster thinks Couturier could slip to #11. Every draft has a player or two that slip in the rankings, but a close to NHL ready 6'4 forward falling that far just doesn't seem realistic. Especially where he would thrive in a system like the Devils if he was to even make it that far.

I was just picking on the 'realistic' part of your post. ;) I don't see Cooter falling that far either for what its worth. In fact if the Avs don't draft Landeskog I am hoping for Cooter. My bet is that he goes to FLA or NYI.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Why would Couturier fall all the way to number #11? That doesn't seem realistic at all.

I am surprised that people watched last draft and saw Gromley and Fowler fall and and still have posts like this.

Bro this is a draft, anything can happen.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There is no reason for Couturier falling to 11. I was SAYING that I would rather pick Larsson, Landeskog, or Huberdeau at #2 while waiting and seeing if he falls to #11 which is possible. As mentioned above Fowler was ranked #2 in tons websites while Gromley was ranked around 5th-8th. Couturier is ranked around 4th-8th so again it's possible.

I didn't realize it was that hard to understand.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The big reason Fowler/Gormley were falling last year was because everyone was drafting forwards. It is harder to see everyone in the top 10 going for defenders this year.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Guh the only thing more annoying than a Stastny proposal are fans confidently suggesting that the Avs will take Larsson.

Damn Avsboy wtf did you do their drinks?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Guh the only thing more annoying than a Stastny proposal are fans confidently suggesting that the Avs will take Larsson.

Damn Avsboy wtf did you do their drinks?

I'm pretty confident that the Avs will take Larsson in light of what people are saying and those (admittedly weak) sources. Why is that annoying? I'm definitely not anti-Larsson, but I'm leaning towards not minding Landeskog or another forward. Confidence in the Avs selecting Larsson isn't necessarily a sign of favoring him (I still do atm though).

Whats "do their drinks"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->